3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Fluid all over wheel well????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fluid all over wheel well????

I recently noticed that there is some kind of fluid all over in the front drivers side wheel well. It is on the spring, shock and axle. I noticed it on the well liner as well. It seems to drip when parked and spreads quickly but dries quikly as well... It is hard to tell what it is. Any ideas? Thanks, Adam.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Banned

The smell should be the give away but the fact that it dries stumps me a bit.

You have many fluids in that area but none that would dry quickly.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A leaky front axle seal would do all you described, but drying...........it would not.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:42 PM

It seems to be drying on the ground but not on the truck. I have tried smelling it a few times and it doesnt seem to have an odor. When i bought the truck the dealer was supposed to have changed the front axle seals.???
Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by aborgardt
When i bought the truck the dealer was supposed to have changed the front axle seals.???
This is from the salesman I take it? They show you the paperwork on that? No offense........they lie to sell anything and I am suspicious of them actually doing them. My cousin-in-law worked at a Dodge dealer - most PDI's and inspections involve a quick eyeing over, a smoke and coffee, and a bunch of check marks if it visually looked remotely close to not being mangled.

When it came to an axle seal on my '98. The first one didn't take....they redid it again after it leaked again in a week.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:00 PM

No, This was from the service manager. It was found when i had it in with a list of things that needed to be taken care of in order for the truck to be both Chrysler cert. and safety specs from the state of MO. They only had the truck for an hour before i bought it so they didn't even have time to get it in to look at it. It was nice though because it gave me time to do my own inspections and list them for them. They took care of everything else on the list, and then some, so i would have assumed it was done. I would not put it bast them that it wasn't done, but as far as i know it was.....

I guess it would be worth my while to check the front diff level. I just wish it wasn't so cold here.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:01 PM

Would it be acid from the battery leaking down?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Just went out and looked a little more at it. Its not the battery, its dry. The u-joint, hub, and knuckle are all dry as well...... The shock it wet, as is the spring, lower spring mount and the track bar, thats pretty much it. The oil breather tube is behind is do i cant see it being that. The cp3 does have a slight leak, but I would think it it was the cp3 it would be all over, not just on the shock, spring and track bar. Still cant pick up an odor......
Old 02-21-2009, 01:21 PM

The tranny lines run through there I have had mine leak check that out.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by aborgardt
No, This was from the service manager. It was found when i had it in with a list of things that needed to be taken care of in order for the truck to be both Chrysler cert. and safety specs from the state of MO. They only had the truck for an hour before i bought it so they didn't even have time to get it in to look at it. It was nice though because it gave me time to do my own inspections and list them for them. They took care of everything else on the list, and then some, so i would have assumed it was done. I would not put it bast them that it wasn't done, but as far as i know it was.....

I guess it would be worth my while to check the front diff level. I just wish it wasn't so cold here.
That would be a good place to start.........and keep an eye on. I've been waiting for warmer weather on a bunch of stuff as well.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:39 PM

I am at a loss. I just looked again and the tranny lines seem to be dry. All of you are giving great ideas. It just seems to be to confined to be 'spraying' there. Is it possible, i dont know if some shocks (or all for that matter) have oil in them. I have been having problems with the front end vibrating alot as well. Just wondering if these 2 problems could be linked. Any thoughts?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:42 PM

Pulled the boot up on the shock and found the culprit. Blown shock, probably the vibration in the front end as well. Now to find good adjustable shocks that can fit a 4" level lift.....