3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dash light problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash light problems

I am having some problems with dash lights not working. Started out with half of the radio lights stopped working and now about 3/4 of the heater and AC background lights have quit. All items still function as they should just have limited background lights. Are these lights repairable easily? Havent tore the dash panel off to see yet. Anyone else have these troubles? Truck is awful dark in the cab now at night. I am the only owner of the truck and has never been wet inside at all, any ideas on the cause of the failure? THANKS
Old 08-22-2009, 12:34 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikeman
Are these lights repairable easily? Havent tore the dash panel off to see yet. Anyone else have these troubles?
I don't know why your's are going out, but I did have a few go out so I'll share how I fixed it. First, only one bulb was out. Dash came out easy enough and the bulbs twist in/out easy enough.

After I put it all together, night time came and I turned on the lights and another one immediatly burned out. Changed it out. Next time I turned on the lights, #3 immediatly burned out.

I asked around and a great Dodge guy from St Louis (I think) said to turn the dash brightness down all the way, change the bulb, then when you turn on the lights, slowly turn up the brightness. Once bright, should be no more problems. I tried that and had no other problems.

Good Luck,
Old 08-23-2009, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of weeks ago I converted to white LEDs in the HVAC control...the bulbs are a proprietary(dealer-only) item; I'll be damned if they think I'm gonna be held at Chrysler's mercy for two-bit bulbs...