3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Installing an in-dash dvd deck, converting an 04 dash to an 06-08 dash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing an in-dash dvd deck, converting an 04 dash to an 06-08 dash?

So this past weekend a local audio dealer put on a huge sale of various stuff. I picked up a Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD for fairly cheap. My only problem is that they don't make a dash kit for my truck for this style of deck, or so I was told. The guy told me that I'd need to get something custom whipped up so it would work and that isn't a problem since I know a guy that works at a car audio dealer and he does a lot of custom work. Now before I go out and drop some coin on a custom fibreglass dash setup, could I potentially convert my 04' center dash to an 06'-08' navigation dash setup so that my new deck would fit? Or is there a dash kit out there that is what I'm looking for?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont do it. Just wait it out and find something for your truck. If you try to start cutting and cutomizing it you will never get anything back for it on resale. Plus after market radios usually look like crap after a few years and really wont help your resale at all. Probably will devalue it.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Thats what I was sort of thinking. I'm looking at exchanging the deck for the AVH-5100DVD instead. Its more money but it will be an easier install and no hacking/fibreglassing required.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I stuck with a flip screen for this reason. If you hack into the dash you will have to have a double din radio all the time unless you buy a separate dash. If you are willing to buy a second dash as a spare then do it, but it doesnt' seem logical for me. I have the Pioneer AVIC-N4
Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 AM

Check this out....

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...03-05-ram.html
Old 05-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Muted User

Originally Posted by BigDave12768
dont do it. Just wait it out and find something for your truck. If you try to start cutting and cutomizing it you will never get anything back for it on resale. Plus after market radios usually look like crap after a few years and really wont help your resale at all. Probably will devalue it.
um......ok. Some of us buy aftermarket radios for the sound and features not because of "resale". Also you can buy EVERY interior part for this truck, most of which are on ebay cheap. That being said mod anything you wish and if you plan on removing it when it's time to sell just install the replacement piece. I have A double din in my '05 and love it. I could also remove it in less than 20 min and you would never know it was there. I've had a lot of cars and I've never heard "man I'd buy it but it's lacking that sweet factory sound system so nevermind"

Mine looks identical to this. All done with Bondo and paint.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
um......ok. Some of us buy aftermarket radios for the sound and features not because of "resale". Also you can buy EVERY interior part for this truck, most of which are on ebay cheap. That being said mod anything you wish and if you plan on removing it when it's time to sell just install the replacement piece. I have A double din in my '05 and love it. I could also remove it in less than 20 min and you would never know it was there. I've had a lot of cars and I've never heard "man I'd buy it but it's lacking that sweet factory sound system so nevermind"

Mine looks identical to this. All done with Bondo and paint.
Go down to a car lot and ask them. They will tell you straight out. An aftermarket stereo devalues the price of a car. You go some touch panel thing in your car. Now you trade in. The truck goes to the auction and ends up at a used car lot. The battery dies and all settings clear and the radio is back to the factory setting. Now when a person gets in they have no idea how to turn it on or change stations. or even set the clock. Plus the plastic on after markets fade faster than the dash board. So they look a bit out of place. The websites like KBB and Nada use to list aftermarket stereo as an option and when truck came up with price it would devalue truck 100 bucks or so. When it comes down to resale it hurts the truck. Just like lift kits and rims and whole bunch of other mods that people think are the greatest. A stock truck is the best resale value. And I would pass on a hacked dash after market system. Or any aftermarket system. My truck came with the Infinity CD player. I upgraded to the RB1.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This looks interesting . . . http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2BSI%26otn%3D4

It's pricey, comes from Germany and it's kinda ugly. But, it looks like it will fit. I suppose you could paint it.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Muted User

WOW!!! $100.00? Golly gee I'm going to strip mine now. You mean to tell me this whole time I've owned this truck I've screwed myself out of $100 whole dollars? HAHA you've gotta be kidding me. First off if you trade your truck to a dealer you've already lost thousands more than you'd get from a private buyer, but now your supposed to worry about a couple hundred. Dude with all the mods being done to these trucks a radio swap is the least of anyones concerns. I'll take $500 cash and use it to start a bonfire with all the factory junk I've upgraded. I have a friend who's a Ford/Dodge salesman, whenever they have a car or truck that won't sell they mod it. They had a Mustang that wouldn't sell so he put wheels on it and sold it the same day. Same with a truck, he tinted the windows added some wheels and bingo it sold. Would you like to explain all your mods and how they'll up your truck's value?

nosparkplugs, If you want the radio go for it. It's not really that hard to make it fit and anything is better than OEM. I have both the double din and a flip out, both Pioneer and I like the double better. I would have gone with a double in both but the other vehicle didn't have any room for mods so the flip was my only option.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:04 PM

Well I've decided to exchange my deck for the 5100 pioneer. I just don't have the time to have my truck torn apart and trying to get something made up for it. The 5100 also has a bigger screen too so thats a plus. I'm looking forward to the touch screen/iPod control. Should be pretty slick IMO. I'll post pics after I get it installed, which should be a in a couple of weeks
Old 05-14-2009, 10:23 PM

its not that hard to do on your own and it only cost me about 65 bucks in supplies. i got the bezel off ebay for 40 bucks the rest was spent on the materials ( bondo, fiberglass resin, primer, and paint )

Old 05-14-2009, 10:29 PM

It is a lot of work, but so worth it in the end. I had a flip out, I couldn't stand it, looks so out of place and cheap, hassle of putting it in all the time, especially on rough roads. Double dins look so clean and factory. Devalueing a truck? LOL Dealers couldn't give two ***** if you have a aftermarket deck in the truck either way it won't touch the price a bit, and people at auctions could careless to. Good mods increase the value to the right owner.

All it takes is a new bezel for $50 and like said you'd have no idea anyone modded it. Yes you do a bit of cutting of the dash underneath but you only see it with it tore apart, so it doesn't matter one bit.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:57 PM

Roxj,

What did you use for that finish? Looks great, excellent job!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:22 AM

thanks it was a fun little project

it is made by SEM it is their automotive texture

http://semproducts.com/?home=1
Old 05-16-2009, 12:24 PM

Nice work!

Quick Reply: Installing an in-dash dvd deck, converting an 04 dash to an 06-08 dash?