3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Converting ST to SLT??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting ST to SLT??

I know this is crazy, but how hard do you think it would be to convert a 2007 2500 ST to SLT? The main things I see that would need to be upgraded are the rims, front grill, and power windows/locks. Anything else I'm missing? I could've sworn I've seen this come up in the past, but I couldn't find anything using the forum search and google...it could be my searching skills though.

The biggest problem IMO is going to be upgrading to power windows/locks. Can anyone give me an idea of what it would take for this and possibly how much (ballpark) this would cost? Is the wiring already run or would this need to be done?

In my seemingly never ending quest to upgrade to a 4x4, this is my latest find of a leftover new 5.9 4x4.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
JMHO, If the looks of the ST bother you that much, just go with an aftermarket grill, bumpers, rims, seats, stereo, carpet kit etc. and live with the roll-up windows and manual locks (one less thing to break anyway). It's a truck for cryin' out loud .

Oh, and somebody on here who has debaged an SLT will probably gladly send you their emblems.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:40 PM

I know what your saying and I'm not trying to make it a Laramie or anything but there's something to be said for power windows and locks. The outside looks are a lower priority for me and a badge means absolutely nothing (I'd prefer debadged anyway). I mentioned the grill and rims simply b/c I have an SLT now and I would like to maintain the same look.

As for the differences between ST and SLT, I forgot to mention in my original post that it does have the added options for floor carpeting, cloth seats, and cruise control.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Chrome bumpers.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:38 PM

You will have to replace door panels also to have a place for factory switches
Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It might be a lot harder than you think. Not sure how much of the SLT option wiring harnesses are installed on a ST model. Most of the SLT options that require wiring may not be in the ST model wiring harnesses.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 PM

You should be able to find someone to add power locks and windows... Then all you'll need is the door panels.

As for the seats... Wasn't there someone on here recently selling leather seats for like $600. Or heck find someone that upgraded to leather and get their premium cloth.

The exterior, that's easy just go aftermarket.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:52 PM

I would think that I can buy new door panels from the dealer relatively easy and was thinking that I would have them do the work too. Is there anyone else who would be better than having the dealer do it?...a car stereo shop maybe?

As for the wiring harness, I bet you're right RamWheels...they probably will have to run the wires which could really add up. I'll swing by a local dealer tomorrow and get a rough estimate...

It has the cloth seats so I'm good on that. And for the SLT rims, they should be easy to find on these forums so really that leaves the bumper and grill, which are less important but like you say, easy to find aftermarket.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:33 PM

I think the cloth is gonna be different though. Although I could be wrong. But FWIW you can get some leather or cloth covers cheap I bet and just add some extra padding.

I don't think the wiring will be that bad since alarm/stereo shops run power locks all the time. Then all you need is a key on hot for the windows.
We almost did power windows on my brother's cheyenne chevy but just did power locks on it. It wasn't much for the locks IIRC... but you do need them for an alarm system to make it right.

Then you need an SLT grill and bumper cover. I bet you can get the bumper cover used from someone that went aftermarket.

I think the fog light kit and harness (plug and play) is like around $100-$150.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:33 PM

don't buy the door panels from the dealer...rip off.

look for them on ebay from an online parts shop...

have a car stereo place install the panels...heck, they could probably do your windows to if you find the right place.