3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

compustar wont start the truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
compustar wont start the truck

I have the new 900 pro compustar and it wont start the truck first thing in the morning. Once the truck is warm it will work with no problems. During a cold start in the morning the truck will fire up for 3 seconds and shut down and do this 2 more times and then thats it. I have tried adjusting the waiting period for the glow plugs30 seconds, 10 seconds still nothing, Any suggestions???
Old 03-04-2007, 07:28 AM

yeah,Have your installer program the tach right or have him connect it if he did'nt,some installers will just use the easy way out.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:06 PM

I bought a CompuSTAR Pro (PRO2WFMAS) companied by a 2W9000FRM 2-Way here in Ontario, Canada and was experiencing the same issue on my 2007 RAM 2500 Megacab Diesel a couple of weeks ago and took it back a few times back to the installer; to get the Delay Time set up (10 seconds to 20 seconds (same issue as you) than to 30 seconds <started properly> but wanted insurance and had the installer set the Delay Time to 40 seconds <started pretty good till today where I let the truck sit for an excessive 10 hours> and same issue again. If this happens tomorrow morning, it'll be back to the installer with regards to the Tach Meter detection.

Let me know what happens...here's hope in getting this CompuSTAR to work.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 PM

they obviously didnt install it properly
Old 03-05-2007, 08:42 PM

There is a way to reset the tach yourself if it was hooked correctly. It is thinking there is an over-rev condition so it will shut itself off, I had this situation when mine was put in. But the problem is I can't remember how to reset it, just that it has to be done when cold so the high-idle will engage. If you like I can call my installer (He owns 2 audio shops & I went to school with him) and find out how to reset it. Let me know.

Darren
Old 03-06-2007, 03:18 AM

That would be awsome, I have been to my local install shop 3 times now and they dont know what they are doing !!
Old 03-06-2007, 11:26 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by Strokedelky
There is a way to reset the tach yourself if it was hooked correctly. It is thinking there is an over-rev condition so it will shut itself off, I had this situation when mine was put in. But the problem is I can't remember how to reset it, just that it has to be done when cold so the high-idle will engage. If you like I can call my installer (He owns 2 audio shops & I went to school with him) and find out how to reset it. Let me know.

Darren
Hi Darren,

Please advise if your 2006 RAM is a Diesel and if so, please advise of your Contact's info. This would help alot. Much appreciated.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:04 PM

I guess I should put that in my sig. Yes the truck is a diesel. I talked to my installer today about this. Leave the truck out overnight or long enough that it will high-idle when you start it. Start it with the key and wait for the high-idle (should be right away?). Press and hold the brake and at the same time press the start button on the remote until it beeps. After that the remote start should work properly. You could take it back to the installer to have them do this but they usually need them overnight so they can leave them out in the cold. Also, I think my delay is only set at about 20 or 30 seconds. Hope this helps, but if you need more PM me and I will see what I can do.

Darren
Old 03-07-2007, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Strokedelky
I guess I should put that in my sig. Yes the truck is a diesel. I talked to my installer today about this. Leave the truck out overnight or long enough that it will high-idle when you start it. Start it with the key and wait for the high-idle (should be right away?). Press and hold the brake and at the same time press the start button on the remote until it beeps. After that the remote start should work properly. You could take it back to the installer to have them do this but they usually need them overnight so they can leave them out in the cold. Also, I think my delay is only set at about 20 or 30 seconds. Hope this helps, but if you need more PM me and I will see what I can do.

Darren
Hi Darren, the installer re-adjusted the Tach sensing to a higher rev (ie. 1500 rpm) and I was wondering if that is what your installer did on your truck. Almost afraid to remote start the truck tomorrow morning; in case the brain over revs the engine.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:33 PM

I think that might solve it for you. I don't think it will allow it to over-rev it will just give it the window it needs to allow the high-idle to engage without thinking it is over-revving. Hope it works out, sucks when you can't use what you paid for.

Darren
Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 AM

Fixed

Well I called around and from the help on this site I have got the problem fixed. Anyone else having this problem first thing in the morning the original RPM setting is somewhere around700RPM if exceeded it will shut down. Start your truck with the key and in park, rev the engine to 1100-1200RPM ,hold the brake and push #2 on the remote as if you were starting the truck. This will adjust your rpm setting and it worked for me
Old 03-12-2007, 11:03 PM

I kinda wondered about just raising the RPM manually (foot feed) but never tried it as when I was having issues it was cold enough for the high-idle to engage right away. Glad it worked out for you! Hope you liked all that snow you got, I've had about enough it.

Darren