3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch problem

ok i was cleaning the inside of the truck today and looked at the floor mat and there was a spot about the size of a half dollar of some type of oil or something under neath the clutch . i do have adjustable peddles . anyone know what it could be ? any help thanks .
Old 06-17-2007, 10:05 AM

It's most likely brake fluid. If it is then you’re going to need a new master cylinder. On the OEM master cylinders there are no adjustments. If and when your truck starts shaking your teeth out when the engine is running that will be the dual mass flywheel going out. South Bend clutch has a very nice fix for both problems. They do have a replacement for both, none adjustable clutches and the dual mass flywheels. If you don’t pull very heavy loads (15,000 to 26,000 lbs) then your dual mass flywheel will last much longer. Mine went out within 6 months but I only use these trucks to haul freight coast to coast. I installed SBC’s master cylinder kit and flywheel/clutch kit in my 2006 last Aug. and have had not had any problem from it since. Over time with a dual mass flywheel you’ll notice the engine vibrating more and more. This comes from the flywheel wearing and starting to run eccentric from each other. Those flywheels have a spring inside them to absorb the engine torque from the driveline to give a less jumpy ride. Once you remove one you’ll see why I think it was a bad idea to use them. They don’t even bolt the flywheel to the crank. They bolt it to the Cummings flex plate them comes on all engines Dodge buys from them. Oh by the way every Dodge dealer I called wanted $1050 for a new dual mass flywheel. I can’t remember what a new master cylinder was at the dealer. But it is still a dealer only item for the OEM one. With the SBC one it’s a kit. It comes with the master cylinder and the slave cylinder together. I hope this will be of some help to you.

Mark
Old 06-17-2007, 11:14 AM

ok , thank you . i am going to replace the clutch soon so i can really use the smarty . the guy said for the clutch , and fly wheel installed was 1600 for a south bend . i guess i will order the master cylinder also . do you know a price for them ?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:30 AM

so if i order the heavy duty hyd. assembly will this fix it ? i am wondering what cluth to buy o , ofe , or the fe ? i am looking at the one for 550 hp and 1100 ft. lbs of tq .
Old 06-17-2007, 12:48 PM

The one I bought from SBC last year was 1450 + shipping for everything master and slave cylinder included but I installed it also. If your going to have them install it they will have to have the master and slave cylinder kit as the OEM will not work on the new flywheel/clutch conversion kit. Pulling the tranny yourself without help and a jack is more than just a pain. I did it with 2 ratchet straps hooked to the frame and some wood cribbing where I needed more height. I still installed it myself in a days time without help. One note if you do it yourself you have to remove the shifter off the top of the tranny not just unbolt the handed. This is the one I installed last year.
MU 1947 Con OFE G56
450 hp, 900 ft. lbs. torque
- Requires the Hyd-X-.750
Unless you intend on pulling a sled this will work just fine. It does for me and I have a driver in this truck running coast to coast pulling a 48' flatbed trailer hauling freight. My personal truck has the custom built 48re.
Also I imagine this thread will be moved to the drive train section sooner or later as this section in none drive train only. Good luck on getting it fixed.

Mark
Old 06-17-2007, 12:55 PM

Here is the phone # to SBC off their contacts page.
1-800-988-4345
Call them and just tell them what you have and intend on doing with your truck and they will make sure you get the right clutch setup for your personel needs. Thats what I did on mine.

Mark