3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Chrome Clad Aluminum Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a set of 2006 chrome clads in my garage simply because I wasn't about to drive around with cheap looking plastic covers! Sporting Eagle 186's now!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:39 PM

Time to reveve this thread. Does any one have pictures of the aluminum wheels with the chrome clading removed? I have my stock set in the garage and am debating weather to sell them or remove the chrome, polishing them up or painting them and mounting some Toyo M/Ts as an extra set of shoes.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:46 AM

This may clear up some confusion here... There are two types of chrome factory wheels. The steel wheels that have plastic chrome covers and forged aluminum wheels that are chrome dipped. The forged aluminum wheels also come in a polished version. The steel wheels are black/grey if you pry off the plastic chrome covers.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by DYNOBOB
This may clear up some confusion here... There are two types of chrome factory wheels. The steel wheels that have plastic chrome covers and forged aluminum wheels that are chrome dipped. The forged aluminum wheels also come in a polished version. The steel wheels are black/grey if you pry off the plastic chrome covers.
Well, there must be three types of wheels as mine are some type of alloy with a chrome cover. Checked them with a magnet. Came from the factory this way. I'm just going to live with mine until I can Justify buying a new set.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:03 AM

They haven't used the 'steel' wheels in a few years.

There's polished aluminum, or aluminum with a plastic looking chrome cladding like Shep says.

There is no chrome dipped wheels.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
They haven't used the 'steel' wheels in a few years.

There's polished aluminum, or aluminum with a plastic looking chrome cladding like Shep says.

There is no chrome dipped wheels.

They still offer Steel wheels with crome covers. My Moms 07 Mega came with those and my 08 QC came with the factory aluminiums

Chris
Old 01-17-2008, 06:48 PM

Chrome clad wheels are just machined aluminum underneath. Looks like they could be polished, but it'd be alot of work. Cladding is glued to the wheel with something that looks like mastic. Once the glue is removed, they don't look bad.

Take a look on Carli's site, pretty sure he has them on his truck.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:13 PM

it is possible to remove the clading off of the aluminum wheels. i will be doing it soon to mine. they are just glued on. the real fun will be scraping all that glue (which i have been told is like rtv) off the face of the aluminum wheels without scarring the surface.

btw, the chrome cladding is actually a thin piece of sheet metal that has been chrome plated.

this is a write up for de-chroming the steel wheels:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...ng-wheels.html
Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 AM

They still offer the steel with chrome clad cover, these look the cheepest. The polished alum (PA) are on the slightly upgraded trucks such as the bighorn edition, and the larame get the PA wheel with a chrome clad cover.
My truck came with the PA, but my buddy gave me his set of larime wheels for free and I'm using these for my winter driving.
The steel/clad cover looks different than the PA/clad cover. The PA wheel and PA/clad wheel look the same except that the chrome is brighter.

I had a set of alloy wheels as well which I think came on the early 03-04 trucks, they were aluminum with a silver paint over them. I thought these were much nicer than the steel/clad cover, and even the PA wheels.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan_K
I had a set of alloy wheels as well which I think came on the early 03-04 trucks, they were aluminum with a silver paint over them. I thought these were much nicer than the steel/clad cover, and even the PA wheels.
That's what I got with my new 04.5 Laramie (think it was standard on the Laramie). Right after I got it, I did a chrome plate exchange (chromed aluminum) and they're holding up pretty well - just a few small spots here and there where the plating is fading or peeling a bit.