3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

CB & antenna mounting, coax routing

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CB & antenna mounting, coax routing

Where is everyone mounting there CBs and antennas? I have seen the firestick stakehole mounts and was wondering where people are bringing the coax into the cab. Does the firestick fender/hood mount for 2nd gens work on 3rd gens? I used to run a wilson mag mount on my 1998 but I don't see any easy spot to bring the coax in the cab on my 2004.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using a stake hole mount for my 2M/70CM duel band antenna. Works like a champ.

With the 48RE, there is a cover plate that covers the hole where the clutch would be. I drilled a hole in it and put in a gromit and bingo - instant firewall access.

Do a search for "antenna" and see what you come up with. I posted some pics some time ago of my install.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:09 PM

Here's a link to the thread with some pics to give you some ideas.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=25595
Old 02-10-2004, 06:29 PM

Yes you can use the 2nd gens fender/hood mount. I have mine installed that way and it works just fine. I ran the coax thru the firewall. As stated there are areas that you can use if you have the auto where the clutch goes thru or just use hood latch cable opening and push it thru.
You may be able to see my hood mount in members pics.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:39 PM

I hope this is ok. Try here.http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=87696
Old 02-10-2004, 07:20 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
On the 2003 with stick, there is an unused rubber fitting just to the left of the steering column. I brought several wires through there.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:33 PM

The rubber fitting that FiverBob is talking about is were your auto shift cable goes though, I when in though with the cable.I called fire stick about the 2003 fender mount and they said its the same as the 2002 so I bought one. They are not the same I had to bend the mount or the antenna would be faceing forward. I put mine on the left fender and used one of the fender bolts and also I put in a scew it. It looks good and clean, firestick also makes the stake hole mount.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:27 PM

3rd Gen. Custom CB mount for Auto Trans!

I built this custom mount for my CB. Keep in mind that my truck is an Auto Trans. I have been considering marketing them if there is enough interest. I would need to make about 20 at a time.

Big Bob's Custom 3rd Gen. CB mount for Auto Trans!

I'll have to check out the Standard Trans to see what modifications need to be made.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:32 PM

I mounted a Wilson 5000 Roof Mount antenna right in the middle of the cab! That really hurt drilling a hole in my new truck!

Remember guy's, a great radio with a poor antenna equals poor CB performance. A cheap radio with a great antenna equals alot better performance. Don't skimp on the antenna! Buy the best you can afford!
Old 02-12-2004, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by Big Bob
..................Remember guy's, a great radio with a poor antenna equals poor CB performance. A cheap radio with a great antenna equals alot better performance. Don't skimp on the antenna! Buy the best you can afford!
Well....that alone isn't going to give you great results. From your description Bob, you have the ideal mount; in the cab roof where the entire antenna is out in the clear away from body. It also provides an ideal ground plane for the antenna. Guys, you have to remember that the truck body is the other half of the antenna. The stick that you buy is the radiating portion of your setup. You need to provide a good ground under the radiating element. Note I said under. A stake pocket next to the cab isn't an ideal location. The cab is going to de-tune the antenna to some extent, resulting in a higher VSWR and a distorted pattern. Also note, a 5/8 wave antenna gives a 3db gain over a 1/4 wave antenna. You're essentially doubling your output power by concentrating the energy at the horizon instead of into the sky above you. If anyone is thinking about taking the plunge and doing a roof installation, I would suggest using a Motorola NMO mount with an adapter to mate with your antenna. These mounts are easily available and are waterproof. They require a 3/4" hole which I make by using a Greenlee punch, but hole saw will suffice. I'm sure many of your guys aren't about to punch holes in the roof of your new trucks, but my point is to suggest that you carefully select the location of your antenna. A fender mount is a very good location as is the rear stake pocket where it's away from the body. However, the best place is in the cab roof. Even a cheap antenna is going to work like gangbusters up there.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:20 AM

....one other thing. No matter what you may read on CB sites, or hear from salemen, two phased antennas aren't going to work on a Ram any better than one. The body isn't wide enough. You can't deny physics which requires a 1/4 wave or approximately 9 foot spacing between the antennas in order to concentrate the pattern in front of and behind the truck. Two antennas on a Ram will at best direct the pattern off the sides of the truck. If you feel you need to have a balanced look, I'd suggest installing a dummy antenna on the other side.