3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Attn Dodge Techs / starscan experts

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn Dodge Techs / starscan experts

Hey guys, sorry this is a repost, I'm trying to get more exposure on the topic.

I have a thread running in the 6.7 forum: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=194068

I'm trying to document all the special features that can be enabled via Starscan (06 and up - Previously DRBIII), and possibly a cookbook for tech's unfamiliar with how to use the tool.
Example: PTO Idle Up Feature
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...2&postcount=59

Short story is that I'm taking delivery on a new truck soon and I want to take advantage of the prep time to get the options I want.

Any help would be fantastic
Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 AM

Yout best bet is to get your sales rep to hook you up with a tech and allow some time with the star scan.That will allow you to see the menues and decide on the spot what features you want.When the star scan gets an update sometimes things move or changes are made to language.The trucks software changes during production as well.

Bob
Old 02-28-2008, 06:07 PM

You know bob, you're probably right. I figured I could head off confusion - much like printing out a TSB and giving it to the tech.

The thing is that I had this happen with my 2nd gen. They came out with the cold weather service update (high idle) and I would have never knew it existed if it were not for the web. Then I had to pay to get it enabled. It seems to me that this stuff should be listed somewhere.

I'll share what I find out at the dealer - maybe the tech will be cool
Old 02-28-2008, 06:34 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Are you getting an '08. If you are, then alot of the features that were only accessible with the StarScan are now done through the overhead console. Where as previous trucks saw trip odo, elapsed time, avg economy and distance to empty. Now you're able to change illuminated entry, accessory delay time, horn with lock or unlock, flash with lock or unlock and quite a few other things. If you have ordered a truck and are just waiting for it, then I'd suggest taking a look at one on the lot to see what features you can do yourself and what actually has to be done with the StarScan. Unless you get REALLY lucky and the dealer has a tech that will spend this time with you, I doubt one will break from making a living to do this for nothing. That's not meant as a blanket statement towards all dealers, but it's really limited to just a few it seems these days. Normally the only hourly techs are lube techs that generally shouldn't be doing that, let alone using a $10,000 computer on someones $50,000 truck. Just my $.02.

Chris
Old 02-28-2008, 08:35 PM

Right on Chris - thanks for the advice. I am getting an 08 3500 Mega. One of these days I'll update my signature Its been stuck in order code KZ for a week

I was not aware of all the overhead options! I'll take those into consideration as well... I'll be spending a lot of time on the net between now and when the truck finally shows (should be next week)
Old 02-28-2008, 09:29 PM

OK, I'm back. I looked on the good ol' net and found what Chris was talking about.
Get the 2008 RAM 3500 owners manual here:
http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

On page 149 it goes through all of the "personal settings" available in the EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Center) - lots of stuff there.

I must mention something interesting I had seen for a Chrysler 300 with the EVIC - apparently one can access hidden options by holding the music and compass buttons for 7-10 seconds. Wonder if this applies to the Ram too.

I'll continue to search... What a pleasant surprise, I'm now anticipating delivery of my truck even more.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

Hey ADMINS this would be a nice 3rd Gen 6.7 STICKY. I am sure every owner and future owner would really appreciate what can actually be done to "Ownerize" their truck. P L E A S E ! !
Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 PM

These are options that I'm 99% sure are available with the procedure:

Enable fogs while high beams are on:
starscan main menu > ECU view > FCM/CGW > misc. functions > enable front fog lamp output > start > next > disable > next > cancel > start > next > enable > next > export > next > finish

Enable PTO Idle Up "Manual High Idle"
starscan main menu > ECU view > pcm > misc. functions > idle up feature enable > start > next > next > enable > next > finish

Enable DVD Player on MYGIG NAV
starscan main menu > ECU view > Radio > Misc. functions > enable/disable front seat video > enable > finish

Uncertain of the steps to enable, but it can be done:
Daytime Running Lights - this feature, once enabled, cannot be undone

Uncertain if these options are available for the Ram, but are for other vehicles:
Headlights on when wipers engaged?
MYGIG NAV "Dealer Enabled Mode" (reformat drive and other functions)
Mirrors that tilt down in reverse? (available on some jeeps)

Facts:

Components on the vehicle that were added after delivery (U-connect, fog lamps, nav). You can't simply install certain oem options without activating in starscan.

Starscan software update release notes are posted out on the web. A google search produces pdf files where all the new functions are listed. Some are self explanatory, other features are not so intuitive - The RAM options are represented in the matrix as "DR" with the model year following.

A interesting fact I found too was that starscan is LINUX based - I wonder what will show up on the web some day. DIY ECM programing would be interesting - open source ISB
Old 03-14-2008, 06:52 AM

Picked up the truck - I can confirm the highbeam/fog lights and the PTO idle up. The steps provided were key - the tech did not know how to enable either option.