3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Advice on running cool?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on running cool?

I am taking off on vacation today, towing my boat from Phoenix to Lake Powell. The boat/trailer weighs in at 6200 lbs. Due to scheduling, I will be leaving at noon and driving during the hottest part of the day. To make matters worse, it's supposed to be over 115* today.

If anyone knows this route, it is very hilly/mountainous with a few 5 mile long, 6-7% grades. I am concerned that my engine temp will start to climb too quickly and I will strand myself on the side of the road. The route will take me from the desert floor up through 7200 feet in elevation. Very little of it is flat. It is constant climb then drop.

Does anyone have some suggestions or tips if I see my engine temps go north of 210*? I will try to maintain 65 mph on the hilly ups and downs and 55 on the big climbs. I am running a Edge Juice/EZ stack. I will set the Juice to 2 and EZ to 1 to try to keep my EGT's as low as possible. I also have an AFE intake and 4" MBRP exhaust.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:28 AM

Fortunately with these trucks you are better off running with the A/C on because it automatically kicks the fan on and that fan works great. Any time mine starts getting a little warm I just turn the A/C on and the temps come down immediately. As far as the big hills and mountains, just don't push it too hard if you notice the temps getting up there. Your truck is almost new and it's built to tow so you shouldn't have any problems...
Old 07-18-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, what DZ said.

Also, consider converting to Evans NPG+ coolant. It boils at 375°

www.evanscooling.com

Justin
Old 07-18-2005, 12:27 PM

Wink

Thanks guys, time for me to get going. I owe you a striper (the fish) filet when I get back.

Hohn, if I got my CTD warm enough to boil that coolant you suggested, I think I would have a LOT of other problems to worry about.

I'll just take it nice and easy. I just need to remember that 'cause I COULD go up those mountains at 75 mph doesn't mean I SHOULD do it!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:31 PM

I know the route, I used to work at a Campground in Munds Park (just before Flag) and we had plenty of campers with blown transmissions stuck there.

My experience towing 10,000# is that engine temps remain fine as long as you are moving. I have had more trouble with transmissions temps spiking - again, no trouble as long as you are moving. I have not had to pull over yet, but the irony is that once you stop moving the temperatures go up before they go down...
Old 07-18-2005, 05:54 PM

dodgezilla

are you saying even at highway speeds the fan is engaged with the air cond on

i can see it at slow speeds but you would think there would be enough airflow to cool the cond. at highway speed
Old 07-18-2005, 07:33 PM

All I know is that when I turn the A/C on the fan comes on too. I've never really noticed if it is still on as I cruise down the highway but I've also not had any high engine temps highway cruising either. I guess I don't know the answer to that question but if mine starts getting hot while I'm driving at 65 or 75 mph I'm going to start worrying no matter what!! My truck stays around 190 degrees while towing down the highway by the way. No real mountains here to speak of so I can't comment on that....