3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

'04 QC CB Radio Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 07:25 PM
dgm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 QC CB Radio Install Question

Hey all, new here but I have a quick question more related to the newer body style than anything mechanical. I traded my 2000 1/2 ton Quad Cad for a 2004 Cummins Quad Cab. Of course, the body is completely different. On my old truck I installed a CB radio and ran the cable under the plastic step-plate, from under the dash to the back seating area and then out of cab under the rear doors. This obviously won't work with my new truck... Anyone have a CB installed in their's? Advice on where to run cables and where to install the dual whips?

thanks,
daniel
Old 03-05-2005, 07:47 PM

hey welcome.
I have a mag mount Wilson and I just ran the wire on the pass side between the two doors on the door post. I have seen others with twin sticks make little brackets and attach them under the hood to the fender near the fender/ door. looks ok. others I have seen them attach them to the tool box in the bed if you have one. good luck.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:51 PM

I put mine on the left front fender ran the wire though the fire were the shift cable goes.
Fire stick has stake pocket mount,go Fire Stick.com
Do a search there is alot about them
Old 03-06-2005, 12:19 AM
dgm

Anybody have pictures of their set up? Both the radio mounted inside and the ant. outside?

thanks,
Old 03-06-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CB Install Pics

I installed mine using custom bracket from BIG BOB. I used a window mount Midland antenna.

I ran the antenna cable from the inside rear window under the rear window side molding, down to the plastic step plate. I popped off the step plate and ran the cable under and forced it under the seat belt/center molding. Then popped off the front step plate and ran under until just before the seat front mounting bracket. Then went under the carpet from the step plate and out the wiring access hole under the front seat. This comes out about a foot or so from the CB.

Here is a pic after installed. There are more pics in my gallery at DTW. http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....42-album-16979

Old 03-06-2005, 09:19 PM

I used a piece or 16 ga. sheet metal 8x approx. 6 and used self tapping screws to attach it to the side of the tunnel below the 4x4 shifter. I attached the cb mounting bracket to that and ran the antenna wire out thru the shifter cable hole. Antenna is attached to the front of the bed via an L mount.
Fit is nice. Radio (148GTL) does not interfere with my leg, and won't be a problem if someone ever sits in the middle seat.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:03 PM
dgm

hmm? I don't know what I'm going to do...there's just no good place. I need to have my middle seat usable now & then so thats not an option. Twisted...do you have a photo of yours? I'm having a hard time imagining it...and where did you run the cable? I know you said, "through the shifter cable hole," but where is that exactly?

thanks,
daniel
Old 03-06-2005, 10:13 PM

I got pics in my gallery of my 2nd gen, cb, antenna. How about building a box, (removable?) in the center. My Dad has built a couple of removable cb boxes for his trucks/vans/rvs. Just a thought.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:46 AM

DGM, look at my gallery i have some pics of my radio, not sure if you can really see my antenna, it is mounted behind the cab, ill try and get some better pics of it soon. BTW im tryin to find another place to mount my radio, preferably up high...see post https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=62976

Matt
Old 03-07-2005, 01:39 PM

I just installed a Cobra radio that is all contained w/i the mike I think it works awsome ran the ant cable thru the firewall on drivers side located the plastic plug and drilled a hole in that plastic and then used some of that corigated wire wrap stuff to close back up that hole. Mounted ant on tool box with one half of a mirror mount. Drilled holes in the tool box. Check out that cobra radio about $100 dollars at Radio shack {special order}
Old 03-07-2005, 06:51 PM

Actually, I misspoke. I meant to say I ran the wires thru the hole that the CLUTCH LINKAGE would have gone into. (Don't drink and post, kids!!). I do have pics, can anyone tell me how to post them?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:10 PM
dgm

Twisted can you email me pics? dsze@comcast.net

thanks,
d
Old 03-07-2005, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by dgm
Twisted can you email me pics? dsze@comcast.net

thanks,
d
You Got Mail!
Old 03-07-2005, 09:25 PM
dgm

cool...now I see what you mean. Wouldn't it be easier though, to just drill a 1/4 hole in that plate and not remove any bolts or push the plate out before drilling it? Couldn't I just get underneath the dash and drill a 1/4" hole in the plate, run the cable through and then seal around the cable with some good silicone?

Next question, where did you run the cable once through the firewall in order to get it back to the toolbox?

thanks,
daniel
Old 03-07-2005, 09:45 PM

Re: CB Install Pics

Originally posted by RamWheelsBy4
I installed mine using custom bracket from BIG BOB. I used a window mount Midland antenna.
How does the window mount work? I been thinking about putting a CB in mine and like the window mount but have heard the reception is not as good.

Quick Reply: '04 QC CB Radio Install Question