3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

04.5 reverse horn honk,anyone figured out how to disable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does it, I hate it, normally scare myself more than anyone else when i back up. Pretty near give myself a heart attack every time......lol. I wish I could get it disabled.......
Old 01-18-2008, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
The horn is no use if you are out of the truck and it "POPS" into reverse. The horn only sounds with the door open and in reverse. So unless you are in the habit of leaving your door open and the truck running there is no help letting you know the truck is now in reverse and on its way across the parking lot. That said I have not seen anyone on here complain about the trucks going into reverse when the truck is parked. If it does, that is another good reason to have the parking brake set when not in the truck.

I like the relay option to disable it but I will just leave mine as is since a closed door does a good job of disabling the honking feature.
The horn sounds if it is in reverse OR in-between reverse and park, because it's supposed to warn you as you are leaving the vehicle that it's not "all" the way in park. You can do a google search and find articles on the web of people swearing their truck was in reverse and after they leave, it starts backing up. I sure as hell don't like it but it HAS caught me (or saved me) jumping out at the convenience store more than once. It bothered me a lot more on my '06 when I had a bumper pull but now that I pull a gooseneck, I'm not backing up with the door open any longer.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:41 AM

Make a jumper for the seat belt sensor wire under the drivers seat and horn won't honk. I just unplugged the wire and pushed a female spade over the two pins. Also killed the seat belt chime. This was on a '06.
Bob
Old 01-21-2008, 02:00 PM

That only works on the trucks that had it programmed from the factory. If it had a the recall done, then it won't work. I may have it backwards, but not all trucks are the same.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 AM

The day your truck jumps from park to rev while you are outside and it kills your son or daughter you will understand why interlocks are placed in vehicles.

Sure its bad remedy, fixing the trans is the real cure, but your kid will still be D E A D. Yeah you can sue Chrysler, but your kid will still be D E A D, and you will suffer the rest of your pathetic life knowing your child very well might still be alive if not for your selfish actions. Tough words? Yep.

Don't take chances with safetey.

BTW, if your runaway truck kills my child and you defeated this important warning system......
Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 AM

Dodge Ram Transmission Defect and Park to Reverse Problem

In October 2005, DaimlerChrysler announced a voluntary recall of about 283,000 Dodge Ram pickup trucks. The recall affects Dodge pickups from the 2003-2005 model years that are equipped with diesel engines and automatic transmissions and was announced as a result of a potential transmission defect that can lead to unintended rearward movement of the vehicle, also known as the park to reverse defect.
Chrysler stated that dealers will repair the transmission defect by installing an "Out of Park Alarm System," which is a software change that generates an audible and visible warning when the transmission shift selector is not placed fully into "park" mode.
Despite DaimlerChrysler's repair efforts, the recall does not resolve the actual physical components associated with this possible transmission defect nor does it address earlier model Ram pick-ups with the same defect.
About "Park to Reverse" Defects
In March 2007, Lieff Cabraser partners Robert J. Nelson and Scott P. Nealey served as lead trial counsel in a five week trial and obtained a $55.2 million verdict for the family of a young father killed due to the park-to-reverse defect with a 1991 Dodge Dakota pickup truck ($5.2 million in compensatory damages and 50 million in punitive damages). Lieff Cabraser has handled and settled numerous park-to-reverse injury cases in the last five years, yet the Mraz case was the first trial regarding this defect in a number of years. A "park to reverse" defect is found in vehicles in which it is possible for drivers to place the vehicle's automatic transmission shift selector into a position between park and reverse during normal vehicle operations. This shift position is also referred to as "false park" or "illusory park."
False park is a very dangerous defect because it appears to the driver that the vehicle is fully in park--the vehicle idles as it does in neutral and feels and sounds as it would in park--and the driver may exit the vehicle with the engine running (e.g., to load the car, get the mail, etc.) where upon the vehicle can self shift into powered reverse, runing over the driver or a bystander.
When a vehicle is in false park, the transmission is neither in park nor in hydraulic reverse, but instead it is in an unstable position between the two gears. Slight movements can cause the vehicle to self-shift into reverse. When the vehicle is running, this will cause the vehicle to move backwards unexpectedly under power.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crankpot
Dodge Ram Transmission Defect and Park to Reverse Problem

In October 2005, DaimlerChrysler announced a voluntary recall of about 283,000 Dodge Ram pickup trucks. The recall affects Dodge pickups from the 2003-2005 model years that are equipped with diesel engines and automatic transmissions and was announced as a result of a potential transmission defect that can lead to unintended rearward movement of the vehicle, also known as the park to reverse defect.
Chrysler stated that dealers will repair the transmission defect by installing an "Out of Park Alarm System," which is a software change that generates an audible and visible warning when the transmission shift selector is not placed fully into "park" mode.
Despite DaimlerChrysler's repair efforts, the recall does not resolve the actual physical components associated with this possible transmission defect nor does it address earlier model Ram pick-ups with the same defect.
About "Park to Reverse" Defects
In March 2007, Lieff Cabraser partners Robert J. Nelson and Scott P. Nealey served as lead trial counsel in a five week trial and obtained a $55.2 million verdict for the family of a young father killed due to the park-to-reverse defect with a 1991 Dodge Dakota pickup truck ($5.2 million in compensatory damages and 50 million in punitive damages). Lieff Cabraser has handled and settled numerous park-to-reverse injury cases in the last five years, yet the Mraz case was the first trial regarding this defect in a number of years. A "park to reverse" defect is found in vehicles in which it is possible for drivers to place the vehicle's automatic transmission shift selector into a position between park and reverse during normal vehicle operations. This shift position is also referred to as "false park" or "illusory park."
False park is a very dangerous defect because it appears to the driver that the vehicle is fully in park--the vehicle idles as it does in neutral and feels and sounds as it would in park--and the driver may exit the vehicle with the engine running (e.g., to load the car, get the mail, etc.) where upon the vehicle can self shift into powered reverse, runing over the driver or a bystander.
When a vehicle is in false park, the transmission is neither in park nor in hydraulic reverse, but instead it is in an unstable position between the two gears. Slight movements can cause the vehicle to self-shift into reverse. When the vehicle is running, this will cause the vehicle to move backwards unexpectedly under power.
This horn crap was a knee-jerk reaction to a problem that still exist. My shifter has been a PITA since I got the truckso it was cheaper for dodge to do a pcm mod than to attack the real problem.