3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

possible answer for reverse honk

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible answer for reverse honk

Well guys,I have finally had enough with the reverse honk, after waking the entire neighborhood this morning I started searching and I think I found the answer. It was shining down on me.The interior light stays on when the door is open, so I tripped the door latch the light went out and I drove around the block in reverse and NO HONKING !! This afternoon I am going to disconnect the wires inside the drivers door. I think I will loose the inteior light when the door is open but thats alright.

Paul z
Old 04-30-2007, 12:16 PM

Your horn honks when in reverse???? What's up with that?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:21 PM

just when the drivers door is opened (eg. backing in a trailer)
Old 04-30-2007, 01:57 PM

i dont have this problem, but read somewhere a while ago that if you have the seat belt in, it does not honk. Some people buy just the buckle or get a buckle and put it in while backing into a trailer.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sevir
i dont have this problem, but read somewhere a while ago that if you have the seat belt in, it does not honk. Some people buy just the buckle or get a buckle and put it in while backing into a trailer.

that seat belt thing is a BUNCH OF MALARKY...
STEPPING ON THE E-BRAKE IS TOO
Old 04-30-2007, 02:33 PM

This honking issue came up with a certain TSB from Chrysler. Dosent make much sense to me, if there was a person behind you I would think that you would have a better clue if the door was open anyways then if it was closed,,,

Kevin
Old 04-30-2007, 06:59 PM

Ya, I don't think it was one of dodges better ideas but then again I could have bought a new ford and got the flamethrower option.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
This honking issue came up with a certain TSB from Chrysler. Dosent make much sense to me, if there was a person behind you I would think that you would have a better clue if the door was open anyways then if it was closed,,,

Kevin
E-17... supposed to tell you "it's NOT in park"...not that you are backing up

Old 04-30-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Interior Lights

On my 07 you can roll the switch all the way down and shut them off.........called PARTY MODE...........maybe this will work?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:46 PM

Well a rather easy fix for this is to pull the left front fender well... find the horns in the front left corner of the truck.. unplug the horns, buy a couple of spade terminals and route the horn wires up to a switch in cab and back to the horn.. when you don't' want the horn to work flip the switch..

I think that is better that taking the door apart and cutting the factory wiring.. Beside if you do cut those wire then your alarm system will think the door is closed when it is open..
Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've also heard and will try this week that you can unplug the wiring from the seat belt itself and plug a female spade into it and it will short it out and stop honking.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:07 AM

Only option I have found is to drive the truck two-footed and never let totally off the brake. With boating season coming quick, I gotta get something figured out soon.... I'm gonna try this later this evening and see if it will work on my truck... thanks!!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by dirt
Well guys,I have finally had enough with the reverse honk, after waking the entire neighborhood this morning I started searching and I think I found the answer. It was shining down on me.The interior light stays on when the door is open, so I tripped the door latch the light went out and I drove around the block in reverse and NO HONKING !! This afternoon I am going to disconnect the wires inside the drivers door. I think I will loose the inteior light when the door is open but thats alright.

Paul z
wow, this sounds like itll actually work, ima try it myself as well.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your telling me you guys can't back up with just the mirrors or looking over your shoulder out the window???

The alarm is to prevent the truck door from knocking you down and from driving over you because you did not get the truck into park.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
Your telling me you guys can't back up with just the mirrors or looking over your shoulder out the window???

The alarm is to prevent the truck door from knocking you down and from driving over you because you did not get the truck into park.
No, I can't see a 7 foot wide trailer when the truck fenders are 8 foot wide. You have a Dually?

Quick Reply: possible answer for reverse honk