3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Unplugging the EGR

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.M.G!! Not That Plug!!!!!! You Just Killed Your Engine!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
O.M.G!! Not That Plug!!!!!! You Just Killed Your Engine!!!!!!

That's not funny and you know it!!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:53 PM

That is FUNNY!!!

I took the crossover pipe, cut the ends off, TIG Welded plates to make caps, and reinstalled them, along with removing the butterfly from the intake.
Attached Thumbnails Unplugging the EGR-hpim0363.jpg  
Old 10-02-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now this is soooooo extreme. all you need to do is make a couple of blocker plates with the gaskets as a template from under where the valve connects to the intake. slide them in and put the bolts back in. Can't even tell they are there and remove in a minute when testing is needed.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:19 PM

Yes, but I had the SS Plate, the TIG, the Rods, and Time!!
Ha! Ha!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 PM

Ok, diesellady I have another question. If you make a blocker plate and block the flow, without unplugging the EGR valve electric connection, will it throw a CEL?

I really hate looking at the CEL and explaining to everyone who gets in my truck and looks at me like I am an idiot for driving with the CEL on.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:51 PM

Doing that will put the truck in limp mode and it will require a trip to the dealer to reset it. That's what I heard anyways......

When anyone gets in my truck and comments on the CEL I immediately point to the OH mileage reading. Then I say "Nuff Said!" My mileage is now almost as good as my wife's 07 Town & Country.....
Old 10-02-2008, 05:15 PM

I'm reading with interest this thread on unplugging the EGR. Although my truck is giving me no problems right now the idea of cutting down on that awful soot sounds enticing. I think it's been mentioned, but some of us newbie diesel owners would still like positive confirmation that NO unseen damage or bad effects will occur upon unplugging it. I'm very nervous about disconnecting anything and risking a serious unforeseen problem some time in the future. Can someone also make clear as to what to do with the butterfly valve? I'd rather not remove it if that's possible. Thanks for helping a first-time diesel owner.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by skint_back
Ok, diesellady I have another question. If you make a blocker plate and block the flow, without unplugging the EGR valve electric connection, will it throw a CEL?

I really hate looking at the CEL and explaining to everyone who gets in my truck and looks at me like I am an idiot for driving with the CEL on.
Looks like you have an 07 so I have to say yes it will throw a code.
Just to clear thing up a bit let me state exactly what I know, and what I have heard, cause I really hate it when people restate hearsay as the gospel.
I did my delete back in March or April and was one of the first. A lot of things have changed since then including the fact that on some trucks, even with the DPF delete kit and a Juice w/ att they can still throw codes for Delta pressure unless they sell you a special part, (and charge you for it too.).
OK, on the 07 you make blocker plates, Must remove the butterfly, and unplug the EGR plug from the valve itself. You will throw codes and must have a Juice w/att, or some other way to clear codes on start up. I would recommend dumping the DPF as well if you have the Juice because you will most likely USE it and that will produce more soot, running the risk of clogging the DPF. BUT,,,,,, I doubt that the "action" of not having egr will cause anything bad to happen to the dpf or anything else, except that if you don't clear the codes you could run the risk of the computer derating. Although I have not heard that this has happened because derating was supposed to be done to save the dpf from clogging when the computer can't regen not because of lack of egr. So that would be something that would need to be confirmed.
Also, I do NOT know about the latest flashes. I have the AV flash for the 07 and I know there is a later flash, but I kind of doubt that has dealt with any of these issues.
On to the 08. And all of this is what I am learning along with the rest of you. I guess they have decided that in the 08 flash they were going to stop the butterfly from closing when the computer can't see the EGR valve. Must have been getting to many damaged turbos and figured it was a good idea,,,, So that turned out to be a good thing for all of us. I am still a bit nervous about leaving the butterfly in because if it does close you have no air flow at all, but it seems to be a none issue as of now.
Hope this helps to clear the fog a bit.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:31 PM

BTW, I am running: Juice w/ Attitude, H&S 5" turbo back no CATs at all no DPF, No EGR, butterfly sitting on my desk, PCV vented to the atmosphere and have been since April. AT least 10k miles on this. Truck just turned over 20k and Can't say enough GOOD about it. All of this makes it run BETTER than a 5.9 because it has the 6 sp auto and a much bigger engine. AND IT CAN BREATH......
AWESOME TRUCK!!!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 06:50 PM

So, apparently I am missing something here or ther is some sensor I am not aware of. If you block off the tube coming around the front of the engine that dumps into the intake horn, (which is part of the egr, correct?) is there a sensor that detects a "no egr flow" and puts the truck in limp?

I am pretty smart on diesels, especially older trucks/tractors, but this new emissions crap is a new breed I have to learn about.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:54 PM

Yes, I believe that's the issue that there is a sensor that detects no airflow and assumes the system is blocked so it puts the truck in limp mode because it thinks you need immediate service...
Old 10-02-2008, 07:05 PM

Oh, why couldn't they leave a good truck alone... why why why
Old 10-02-2008, 08:52 PM

Thanks Azzy.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:10 PM

So not to sound **** or nothing but their has to be other problems that develope from this, why does cummins have a EGR if you really don't need it. I want to do this to the 5500 but I still have the DPF.
60,000miles till the warranty is over and its all coming off!!!!

Quick Reply: Unplugging the EGR