3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Unplugging the EGR

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cummins610
So not to sound **** or nothing but their has to be other problems that develope from this, why does cummins have a EGR if you really don't need it. I want to do this to the 5500 but I still have the DPF.
60,000miles till the warranty is over and its all coming off!!!!
Because Dodge just HAD to be the first to 2010 emissions compliance. The EGR serves NO positive purpose to the truck. It makes the air a bit cleaner but hurts the truck in the process.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW, thanks Diesellady for your knowledge!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by coolbreeze
Thanks Azzy.
Name:  ChuckNorrisThumbsUp.png
Views: 261
Size:  84.2 KB
Old 10-02-2008, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skint_back
BTW, thanks Diesellady for your knowledge!!!
No problem. I bought the truck to learn about it and the emissions, and the best way to do that is to take it off and try to defeat it.
There is NO damage to the truck from stopping the egr. 5.9s do not have egr. Cummins actually had to put a premium ring kit in the 6.7 to keep the durability because of soot.
Sensors in the intake are,,,,, EGT probe, and map sensor. Map sensor is located on the back side of the intake horn just above the butterfly housing. EGT probe is, i believe between that and the engine, also on the back side. Crawl up there and look over the top, you will see them.
EGT looks just like the ones on the exhaust pipe and is there to detect heat from the exhaust. They use Exhaust Gas to basically put the flame out in the engine to get rid of Nox. It is an inert gas and takes up lots of space in the combustion chamber, makes it less efficient but takes care of nox. Nox is created when you have lots of heat in the combustion. At least that is what I was taught. So not only are you getting rid of soot when you delete the egr. You are allowing the engine to use that space to fill up with AIR and burn the fuel much more efficiently. Makes more pollution that way, but Man can you feel the difference.
BTW. The reason they made the engine larger to begin with is because they knew they woulnd't have enough room in the cylinders to add as much EGR as they needed to and still make the same power or more. Interesting!!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:51 PM

UPDATE EGR Unplugged: So I've been puttering around for a little over a week locally not towing anything except for 1 short 100 mile trip. Put about 1000 miles on the truck, counting the short 200 mile round trip.
Today I jump in the truck to do a short errand and the Catalyst STAT - 80% message pops up on the OH. My truck has NEVER produced this message in 172k miles. So I take it out on the highway and run it @ 65 m.p.h. in 5th gear and within 20 miles the message disappears. Back to normal now.
So now the question is, will unplugging the EGR and running with the rest of the EPA stuff intact cause "other" problems like the DPF filling up quicker??
I'm going to continue to experiment with the EGR unplugged but if I keep getting the Catalyst message then I'm going to have to plug the EGR back in. As stated previously, removing the NOX, DPF and EGR is NOT an option for me.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by GMScott
UPDATE EGR Unplugged: So I've been puttering around for a little over a week locally not towing anything except for 1 short 100 mile trip. Put about 1000 miles on the truck, counting the short 200 mile round trip.
Today I jump in the truck to do a short errand and the Catalyst STAT - 80% message pops up on the OH. My truck has NEVER produced this message in 172k miles. So I take it out on the highway and run it @ 65 m.p.h. in 5th gear and within 20 miles the message disappears. Back to normal now.
So now the question is, will unplugging the EGR and running with the rest of the EPA stuff intact cause "other" problems like the DPF filling up quicker??
I'm going to continue to experiment with the EGR unplugged but if I keep getting the Catalyst message then I'm going to have to plug the EGR back in. As stated previously, removing the NOX, DPF and EGR is NOT an option for me.
You would do better to run it hard instead of putting around. The truck will passively regen when it detects enough heat in the exhaust and Regen less. My concern is only that on the 07.5 that the butterfly will close and you will have no air flow at all. So if you notice any weird running conditions you may need to remove the butterfly. I am starting to think that some of the later flashes on the 07.5 may have dealt with this though because a lot of guys are unplugging and not having issues.
Hhhhuuuuuummmm!!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by DieselLady
You would do better to run it hard instead of putting around. The truck will passively regen when it detects enough heat in the exhaust and Regen less. My concern is only that on the 07.5 that the butterfly will close and you will have no air flow at all. So if you notice any weird running conditions you may need to remove the butterfly. I am starting to think that some of the later flashes on the 07.5 may have dealt with this though because a lot of guys are unplugging and not having issues.
Hhhhuuuuuummmm!!
172k miles in less than 1.5 years is not exactly putting aroundThe truck went to work on day 1 and though it's been a little slower this past year she ain't been a sittin' still too much, nor have I. Health reasons are keeping me close to home for awhile, so I've been using the truck like a grocery-getter. My point was that the truck has never produced a Catalyst message in it's entire life. Now with the EGR unplugged and just running around grocery-gettin' I may be getting better fuel mileage but just unplugging the EGR may be causing some other problems. Like filling the DPF faster. From what I understand, the regens do not clear the DPF. The DPF collects ash from what the EGR & NOX filter create by burning the soot. Once the DPF is FULL it will need to be replaced. This is for the guys who are looking for information about just doing the "unplug" EGR mod and may be using their trucks as daily commuters. I'm off warranty so if I fill my DPF replacing it will be on my dime. Don't know if the warranty will cover a "filled" DPF especially if the dealer picks up codes (unplugged EGR CEL) that were ignored.
I don't believe the butterfly valve on mine is closed with the EGR unplugged or it would have shut down by now.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:53 AM

Scott, I got that message too last week except that I don't have a catalyst anymore.....
I cleared the codes and all has been fine ever since. That apparently is one of the issues with running a DPF delete for some trucks....
Old 10-03-2008, 09:09 AM

172k miles in less than 1.5 years is not exactly putting aroundThe truck went to work on day 1 and though it's been a little slower this past year she ain't been a sittin' still too much, nor have I. Health reasons are keeping me close to home for awhile, so I've been using the truck like a grocery-getter. My point was that the truck has never produced a Catalyst message in it's entire life. Now with the EGR unplugged and just running around grocery-gettin' I may be getting better fuel mileage but just unplugging the EGR may be causing some other problems. Like filling the DPF faster. From what I understand, the regens do not clear the DPF. The DPF collects ash from what the EGR & NOX filter create by burning the soot. Once the DPF is FULL it will need to be replaced. This is for the guys who are looking for information about just doing the "unplug" EGR mod and may be using their trucks as daily commuters. I'm off warranty so if I fill my DPF replacing it will be on my dime. Don't know if the warranty will cover a "filled" DPF especially if the dealer picks up codes (unplugged EGR CEL) that were ignored.
I don't believe the butterfly valve on mine is closed with the EGR unplugged or it would have shut down by now.
OK, you got me on that little point. I was having a blond moment!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:56 AM

I shouldn't have mentioned the CAT Full message. Of course I got it again this morning on the way to work. I seem to get it about every 5 days if I don't clear codes. Truck still runs fine when it happens though...
Old 10-03-2008, 11:24 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought that the EGR was a part of the emissions system and dissabling it without the DPF delete would simply eventually ruin your DFP. The EGR delete should not be done prior to DPF delete for this reason.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:35 AM

This was posted by a member of another site. he drove from New England down to Florida last weekend and is coming back this weekend. He drove down with just the EGR unplugged and before coming back he did the DPF delete...

So far, mileage has been bouncing up and down between 18.5 and 19.9. Coming down here I had 800 pounds on the truck. I'm going back with a old hemi and trans. 900 pounds! Sheesh. . .Hey it was free! And Complete!!!

I did the DPF delete as planned. Just to let you know, there was absolutely NOTHING accumulated in the converters. I hadn't regened for at least 200 miles prior to removal either.

So as far as running your truck with the EGR removed and NOT the DPF, as they say in jorsey, forgetaboutit! No problems whatsoever.

Just unplug them and don't worry about it.

On the down side. . .
I am pretty sure my butterfly was modulating while I was driving. My truck had periods of running poorly. Now I didn't have difficulty up north, but down here in the heat it had periods of bucking at low speeds. I am wondering if that had to do with my mileage going down.

I pulled the butterfly. I'm heading home tomorrow. I let you know as soon as I can. I'm up to 6000 miles with the EGR gone or unplugged. This is the beginning with the DPF Delete

Sooooo PULL THEM PLUGS
Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
True, I wouldn't expect a DPF issue with the EGR unplugged and out on the highway working it... However, when the optimal conditions for the emision system aren't in play then the risk is high to eventually ruin the DPF...
Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
True, I wouldn't expect a DPF issue with the EGR unplugged and out on the highway working it... However, when the optimal conditions for the emision system aren't in play then the risk is high to eventually ruin the DPF...
EGR is for getting rid of nox, not ash. it will do nothing to hurt the DPF.
I know it is part of the emission system, but we have to use our heads here instead of just fear of the system. Once you know what EGR does you can see it will not effect the DPF. It will not stop regen to unplug the egr.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:10 PM

Could you remove the butterfly and still leave the EGR plugged in without turning on the CEL ? Where do you disconnect the PCV at?

Quick Reply: Unplugging the EGR