3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Odd noise when towing; S67 stock

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:05 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Odd noise when towing; S67 stock

Hello guys,

I finally got to do my first towing with the S67 (SW3). Truck is stock except for a plugged EGR tube and S&B intake. I have not done the ME and exhaust deletes yet.

Towing, I picked up 1 or 2 mpg it appears compared to previous towing without the S67.

Power was generally good as to be expected.

However, on the 350 mile trip up and on the trip back the truck made some fast whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh (about 4 of them or so at a time) noises rather quickly spaced together which seemed to come from the passenger side engine compartment (intake, turbo, EGR cooler, AC). The noise was fairly loud as well.

I thought it might be the A/C plenum or something, but I could feel a pulsing slight power loss when it made the noises. It did this intermittently several times towing up to where I was going for a 15 minute period. On the way home, it did the same thing at one point...

I can't tell what it is, but it seems to feel and sound like a loss of boost or something. Maybe it is the EGR cooler? Not sure. I pulled over on the way up to take a look and could not find anything. I also drove the truck around plenty without towing in the middle of my trip and did not have this issue one time.

I have not checked for any codes yet, but I do not have any CEL.

I think I will be doing the rest of the exhaust delete and ME soon.

Any ideas? Never had this happen before the S67, S&B, EGR PLug...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:37 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry haven't towed with mine yet, however I am taking a little trip tomorrow. Will listen for anything weird.

Chris
Old 09-05-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have towed with mine, but I am using the 14ME version. I have not notice any noise or loss of power when towing. I have pick-ed up the extra two MPG's when towing. The exhaust brake does sound different with the 5"TBE, I now run the E-brake only when I am towing.
Sorry I cound not be of more help.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:34 PM
"California Style"

When you guys start you trucks, do you sometimes hear a loud noise like something is moving or adjusting that lasts for about 2 seconds? It is coming from the engine compartment. To me it sounds like a quick rumble and then it stops. Like the AC clutch is doing something or the exhaust brake on the turbo is moving or something. I do not have the AC on so don't think it would be that. It doesn't do it all the time. Just usually after it is cold or has been sitting for a couple days or more.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had the same sound and watching my gauges... Its turbo bark. For me I was in 6th gear during a regen and I think it was just coming out of regen and the boost went up to about 25 psi quick then backed off and got the bark a couple times.. I quickly kicked down to 5th and it went away.

I think the change in the VGT tuning has done that. I also had the timing set to level 3. But now I have set it back to default with no re-occurance of the turbo bark..
Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM
"California Style"

Thanks Dog! I would describe it as something like that when towing. A shudder/bark that is momentarily. I wish I had gauges for more insight. The coolant gauge on the trip was very often just over 200 as it typically is during regen. I did not get the increase in mileage I was hoping for. Only about 1 mpg at most.

I was in 6th gear as well. I should have tried the shifting, but it went away quickly. However, after I thought it was gone for good, it would bark a couple more times intermitently after going away completely.

I'm running the 14ME (straight SW3) after this weekend finally! Man that aftertreatment is a heavy hunk of ____. The end of the DPF is very clean; the NOX end is sooty.

Sounds like a hair dryer at idle now, but can't tell much noise wise otherwise.

We'll see how it goes... Have you ever gotten that weird noise at start-up like the e-brake is adjusting or something?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Chapter President

I remember reading on the TDR that the VGT will go through a full sweep occasionally on start up for determining if its hanging up or not. As far as I know its normal..
Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 PM
"California Style"

Right on Lil Dog. I appreciate your information and comments on all the "noises". Glad to know they may be normal and most likely not serious issues.

Have done your exhause yet? Not looking forward to ever returning to stock, but for 2 years straight between smogs it seems well worth it.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I had something similar happen to mine Saturday. Was coming off of a stop sign, (rural area) and started to lay into her. Edge was on level 5 and she was blowing a bit. I had let the boost start to build before I really laid into it. Edge was showing upwards of 30 psi of boost, 32 IIRC, and I got a noise that sounded like escaping air in 4 short pulses. Just that one time. Didnt think too much of it.

Funny thing is when it happened she blew out a cloud of smoke that would have made a 5.9 proud. My lil bro was like well, I guess thats what they mean by blowing the carbon out of em.

Havent been able to duplicate it since. Trucks hasent shown any ill effects from it.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by mega-engr
Right on Lil Dog. I appreciate your information and comments on all the "noises". Glad to know they may be normal and most likely not serious issues.

Have done your exhause yet? Not looking forward to ever returning to stock, but for 2 years straight between smogs it seems well worth it.
I have not done the exhaust upgrade yet. I am waiting for the time to do it. I was just going to do the cat/DPF delete and worry about the downpipe later on. A buddy of mine was making up some flanges at his shop, but we haven't hooked up for the delete party. Can't wait....
Old 09-09-2009, 04:06 PM
"California Style"

I should have mentioned that I had not done the ME yet when I towed. I wanted to see how it did towing prior to the ME. Escaping air is what it sounded and felt like. I'm really not used to checking the tail pipe as this is my first dielsel and it has always been completely clean. Basically, with this particular small issue and the small improvement in MPG, I decided this weekend to do the exhaust and ME.

All I did was replace the NOX/DPF with a straight pipe. Left the down tube and muffler there. Unfortunately, the truck will sit for a while before I can drive and test it since I use it for work only really (which is towing for recreation). At idle it sounds like a hair dryer...

What are you guys waiting for? I thought I was slow.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Chapter President

I have no excuses really.. I would have liked to do the deletes before I towed my RV all over this summer, but it didn't happen.. At least I have a baseline now.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
I should have mentioned that I had not done the ME yet when I towed. I wanted to see how it did towing prior to the ME. Escaping air is what it sounded and felt like. I'm really not used to checking the tail pipe as this is my first dielsel and it has always been completely clean. Basically, with this particular small issue and the small improvement in MPG, I decided this weekend to do the exhaust and ME.

All I did was replace the NOX/DPF with a straight pipe. Left the down tube and muffler there. Unfortunately, the truck will sit for a while before I can drive and test it since I use it for work only really (which is towing for recreation). At idle it sounds like a hair dryer...

What are you guys waiting for? I thought I was slow.
If you hate that hairdryer sound as much as I did, I'd suggest replacing the OEM muffler with an AeroTurbine 4040 model. It is right about the same length as the OEM muffler (IIRC 3" longer, which still fits without cutting) and reduces almost all of the hair dryer sound while also giving the exhaust note a bit more of a quiet grumble. Before I went with my 5" TBE, I ran that muffler and loved it so much that I ordered an AeroTurbine 5050XL to compliment my 5" TBE and am running that still. Love the sound that muffler makes/prevents.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:36 PM
"California Style"

Hey Bud, How's the gauges? I still need to get me some of those. The new Edge looks really cool. Wish they made it for the Cummins, but it doesn't look like it is on their immediate agenda. I'll have to give it some time to see if the noise bothers me or not. Thanks for the muffler suggestion!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 PM

Im quite happy with the ISSPRO EV2's. They aren't a PERFECT match in either design or lighting to the OEM gauges but I think they are probably the closest anyone can get. Right now I just have the boost and EGT gauges installed but lift pump pressure and rail pressure are next on my list. I've seen the new Edge monitor and it looks fantastic but, like you've mentioned, they don't seem very interested in making it available for the Cummins anytime soon.

If you find the noise bothering you more and more, shoot me a line and I will try and take a short video of my exhaust and email it to you. Probably won't be able to tell much through video but for what it's worth it might help.

How the ISSPROs looked when mounted on the pillar:
Name:  090527-01.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  57.2 KB
Name:  090527-02.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  18.4 KB

The pod im running now. Sorry, I don't have a straight-on shot of it yet:
Name:  DSC02712.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  110.2 KB
Name:  DSC02717.jpg