3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Just the programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just the programmer?

I've read enough of these threads that I understand the delates, air filter, exhaust, etc. are the way to go to make power. Simply, what gains can be expected with just the addition of a programmer? Would it hurt anything, other than my wallet, to just go with a programmer? I dont race, mud, or show off, I just go to town a couple times a week and tow my toy hauler a few times a year to the dunes. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At most I would think 40-50 hp would be all you want. I have close to 400hp 800ft lbs on my '03. It is enough for me. Just a programmer should do that. With the new HO I believe all cummins did was new programming and a fluid filled vibration damper.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by CRToney
At most I would think 40-50 hp would be all you want. I have close to 400hp 800ft lbs on my '03. It is enough for me. Just a programmer should do that. With the new HO I believe all cummins did was new programming and a fluid filled vibration damper.
No, Ram did a lot more than just reprogramming the engine. The HO required more cooling changes for the transmission, changes to the TC and to the rear end.
This is from the Ram Zone and I quote.
"Our Ram engineers just didn’t stop at the engine. Additional upgrades include a new power train control module with a revised performance calibration that allows the six-cylinder Cummins Diesel to achieve peak power at a more desirable rpm range. The automatic transmission also has a new higher-rated torque converter to take advantage of the increase torque and better integration for improved towing capabilities on various road conditions. Also, the High-Output Cummins has a revised crankshaft damper that will reduce engine noise and vibration throughout the interior of the Ram.
Our engineers also upgraded the axle on the 3500 Heavy Duty dually models with an improved 4.10 axle gear ratio that will include stronger helical gears and upgraded bearings along with a finned aluminum differential cover that will dissipate heat. To moderate the transmission fluid temperature in severe duty towing situations, we also designed a new engine-mounted, water-to-oil transmission cooler."

Jim W.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sapper
I've read enough of these threads that I understand the delates, air filter, exhaust, etc. are the way to go to make power. Simply, what gains can be expected with just the addition of a programmer? Would it hurt anything, other than my wallet, to just go with a programmer? I dont race, mud, or show off, I just go to town a couple times a week and tow my toy hauler a few times a year to the dunes. Thanks.
The Smarty S67 not the ME version will work for your truck. Just follow the directions on their web site and it will work without deleting the truck. You can run on level 3 safely.
Then if you decide to delete later you can down load the ME software to reprogram your truck with the S67 Smarty. This is the same unit that will use either the ME programming or US emission programming version of software.
I would also recommend gages whenever you add a programmer to any truck, just for peace of mind.
Jim W.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sapper
Sounds like you are of the same caliber I am. Just pull your toys on occasion, don't want to damage anything as we have in the past when {at least when I was} younger. I have a 6 speed and upgraded my clutch to a 400 hp 800torque SB. Works great for me. I have a programmer which is in my sig. {edge w/attitude} It makes a difference for me when towing jumps up the hp, got built in guages, I can also delete codes. But it does not monitor fuel pressure that will be a guage I will put in later. I have hauled our fifth wheel from home to Virginia and back with no problems with the options I have listed. In my opinion I think a programmer helps I monitor it more than I do the stock cluster guages....
Old 03-09-2012, 05:31 PM

More cooling and tc I was not aware of. It makes sense though. I have always had a manual tranny so auto details are fuzzy. Thanks for the info
Old 03-09-2012, 06:12 PM

OK, so for a guy like me that may want to add a programmer now, and possibly consider deletes in the future, what would be a decent programmer? I just want a little extra peace of mind, in the form of power, as I tow up hills, but I dont want to open Pandoras box with extreme exhaust temps or any other problems that may be associated with my tinkering and changing things.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 AM

You can go with a Smarty Jr or Smarty S67 or any of the H&S line of tuners. Those would get you started and if you want to delete later you can download the delete tunes for the Smarty's. The H&S come with both tunes loaded for delete and non delete. Hope this helps you.

You can get either brand thru the DTR store.