3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Help doing DPF delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help doing DPF delete

Im right in the middle of doing a DPF and I found two hard lines (look like trans mission or brake lines). One goes to the NOX and another to the Filter. What am I suppose to do with these lines?
Old 04-10-2010, 03:42 PM

i just disconnected the rubber lines from the sensor and left the sensor plugged in. The truck runs great now!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:05 PM

I did the same. Just disconnected and threw in the bed.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel
i just disconnected the rubber lines from the sensor and left the sensor plugged in. The truck runs great now!
Thats all that needs to be done.

If your worried about a little grim getting in there black tape is your best friend.

Glad you got it running right. You will only get happier as time goes on.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya i would plug that and tape the tubes.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I took one hose and looped it from one end of the sensor to the other to keep it clean.. Did the same on the tubes for the DPF on the shelf..
Old 04-20-2010, 12:18 AM

I took the rubber lines and had a piece of Air Brake line connect the two. Keeps the pressure even and i know where both lines are if I need to reinstall.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:30 PM

Doing a delete now on a friends truck, this is all you do, put the sensors back in a take the liunes off??
Old 05-09-2010, 09:39 PM

Yup thats all that needs to be done if your running the Smarty ME software.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 AM

OK, so help me out here. Doing a DPF delete will get you what? What is the purpose of this so called useless thing? and does anybody have pics of there delete. Do you need to be running a chip without it? Will this throw any codes? New to diesels, just learning, Thanks for the help.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by rammin sammy
OK, so help me out here. Doing a DPF delete will get you what? What is the purpose of this so called useless thing? and does anybody have pics of there delete. Do you need to be running a chip without it? Will this throw any codes? New to diesels, just learning, Thanks for the help.
Sammy,

Sorry I must have overlooked this post.

Lets start with the basics. The DPF and EGR system continuously reburns the unused or unburnt fuel that is not put to use during the combustion cycle. The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) will take a portion of the exhaust stream and recirculate it into the intake and reburn it to remove some of the unburnt fuel. The DPF and NOX filters are on the exhaust system and remove the remainder of the unburnt fuel, particulates, and Oxides of Nitrogen. These filters work by a catalyst reduction, and that catalyst is raw fuel injected into the exhaust stream to heat the filters to a temp hot enough to burn all the carbon down to nothing. These systems are expensive, often times faulty, power and performance robbing, and the number one contributor to low MPG's on the new "clean diesels". They also, in my opinion contribute to a shorter engine life. If you pull the intake on a stock 6.7, there is no way that all the soot that is being sucked into the intake can be healthy for it, and no one will convince me otherwise. Its like a Cummins having a case of the blacklung.

Removing the DPF, NOX, and EGR will allow for clean cool air into the engine and lower exhaust temps on the exit side, couple with a great increase in performance and huge MPG gains. There are varying stages to all of the deletes.

A programmer is needed to make the truck run properly and "fool" the engine control module into thinking the system is in place and properly functioning. Some systems allow you to run with codes, and the better ones... ahem... Smarty....

Allow you to run code free.

I know all of this is kinda of confusing at first, if you have any more questions, or my rambling gets confusing, just ask, Ill try to make it make sense.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Sammy,

Sorry I must have overlooked this post.

Lets start with the basics. The DPF and EGR system continuously reburns the unused or unburnt fuel that is not put to use during the combustion cycle. The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) will take a portion of the exhaust stream and recirculate it into the intake and reburn it to remove some of the unburnt fuel. The DPF and NOX filters are on the exhaust system and remove the remainder of the unburnt fuel, particulates, and Oxides of Nitrogen. These filters work by a catalyst reduction, and that catalyst is raw fuel injected into the exhaust stream to heat the filters to a temp hot enough to burn all the carbon down to nothing. These systems are expensive, often times faulty, power and performance robbing, and the number one contributor to low MPG's on the new "clean diesels". They also, in my opinion contribute to a shorter engine life. If you pull the intake on a stock 6.7, there is no way that all the soot that is being sucked into the intake can be healthy for it, and no one will convince me otherwise. Its like a Cummins having a case of the blacklung.

Removing the DPF, NOX, and EGR will allow for clean cool air into the engine and lower exhaust temps on the exit side, couple with a great increase in performance and huge MPG gains. There are varying stages to all of the deletes.

A programmer is needed to make the truck run properly and "fool" the engine control module into thinking the system is in place and properly functioning. Some systems allow you to run with codes, and the better ones... ahem... Smarty....

Allow you to run code free.

I know all of this is kinda of confusing at first, if you have any more questions, or my rambling gets confusing, just ask, Ill try to make it make sense.
here's a more precise description of the EGR function.......

In internal combustion engines, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is a nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions reduction technique used in most petrol/gasoline and diesel engines.

EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. In a gasoline engine, this inert exhaust displaces the amount of combustible matter in the cylinder. This means the heat of combustion is less, and the combustion generates the same pressure against the piston at a lower temperature. In a diesel engine, the exhaust gas replaces some of the excess oxygen in the pre-combustion mixture.

Because NOx formation progresses much faster at high temperatures, EGR reduces the amount of NOx the combustion generates. NOx forms primarily when a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen is subjected to high temperature.
In modern diesel engines, the EGR gas is cooled through a heat exchanger to allow the introduction of a greater mass of recirculated gas. Unlike SI engines, diesels are not limited by the need for a contiguous flamefront; furthermore, since diesels always operate with excess air, they benefit from EGR rates as high as 50% (at idle, where there is otherwise a very large amount of excess air) in controlling NOx emissions.

Since diesel engines are unthrottled, EGR does not lower throttling losses in the way that it does for SI engines (see above). However, exhaust gas (largely carbon dioxide and water vapor) has a higher specific heat than air, and so it still serves to lower peak combustion temperatures. There are trade offs however. Adding EGR to a diesel reduces the specific heat ratio of the combustion gases in the power stroke. This reduces the amount of power that can be extracted by the piston. EGR also tends to reduce the amount of fuel burned in the power stroke. This is evident by the increase in particulate emissions that corresponds to an increase in EGR. Particulate matter (mainly carbon) that is not burned in the power stroke is wasted energy. Stricter regulations on particulate matter(PM) call for further emission controls to be introduced to compensate for the PM emissions introduced by EGR. The most common is particulate filters in the exhaust system that result in reduced fuel efficiency. Since EGR increases the amount of PM that must be dealt with and reduces the exhaust gas temperatures and available oxygen these filters need to function properly to burn off soot, automakers have had to consider injecting fuel and air directly into the exhaust system to keep these filters from plugging up.

EGR deletion in diesel engines is considered justifiable by a wide range of people, including the environmentally conscious. Although deleting the EGR system results in increased NOx level; hydrocarbon emissions, particulates, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are drastically reduced. Furthermore, EGR deletion results in an increase in fuel economy as high as 25%. Exhaust gas recirculated back into the cylinders adds wear-inducing contaminants and causes an increase engine oil acidity, which can result in an inefficient, poorly running engine. The increased level of soot also creates the need for diesel particulate filters to prevent environmental contamination.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 AM

Thanks John

I just pulled that off the top of my head last night....
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 PM

Thanks to the both of you, very interesting. Although I will have to read these again and maybe again, I get the meat and potatoes of it. I guess I need to look into a smarty or chip of some kind to start.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rammin sammy
Thanks to the both of you, very interesting. Although I will have to read these again and maybe again, I get the meat and potatoes of it. I guess I need to look into a smarty or chip of some kind to start.
Not trying to push the drugs or anything, but this is all you need to read:
http://www.madselectronics.com/CodeF...EGRDelete.html

Buy the smarty and delete pipe, execute, and you'll be high as a kite.

Just ask Blake . He's all ready dreaming of his next conquest after seeing some 2010's here.

Quick Reply: Help doing DPF delete