3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

gauges

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gauges

Ok before I do any mods I want to install gauges so I have a stock base line.
What/who/where has a good set of guages and mounts for a 09 6.7 ?
Are there plug and play available ?

Thanks
gordy
Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Gordy if your looking for easy install and plug and play take a look at the edge insight.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to say but im still old fashion and in love with my autometer phantom guages. Go to ebay and pickem up.Im not much for the whole electronic monitors although they read more things for less money, but thats something youd have to decide. Also is your truck a auto... You might want to add that in your sig.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:26 AM

I will agree with soot that the standard gauges are definitely a better option, but at a much higher cost.

All depends on what you want to do.

I have the EJA cause it was the best option at the time for the deletes. Now that the Smarty is here, and my buildup progresses I will eventually replace it with Isspro gauges. Looking to go with EGT, Boost, Trans temp, fuel and rail pressure.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:49 AM

gauges

What I'm wanting is exhaust & trans temp mostly. I'm not really wanting to hot rod the truck just make it get the most mpg and still run as strong as it does at stock maybe just a tad more. If I understand all this stuff those 2 things are the ones that you need to keep and eye on ?

thanks

gordy
Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Sounds like the Insight might be just up your ally. I believe it does fuel pressure too.

Id moniter the EGT, Boost, Tranny temp, and FP with it. Just my two cents.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 PM

insight

I can't find any listing for a insight for a 2009 6.7, is there one available ?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:00 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Sounds like the Insight might be just up your ally. I believe it does fuel pressure too.

Id moniter the EGT, Boost, Tranny temp, and FP with it. Just my two cents.
X2, that is why I went that route. Installed the EGT probe and I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do/report. Can't beat the real gauges if you have the time and money as they are a step up, but the Insight is a nice little package.

Listing might not be out for a 2009, but check 2008 or 2007 with the 6.7L as this should be the same.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Navy7797
I can't find any listing for a insight for a 2009 6.7, is there one available ?
Edge part # 83400 works on all 6.7's
Old 03-03-2010, 07:36 AM

probe

Originally Posted by mega-engr
X2, that is why I went that route. Installed the EGT probe and I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do/report. Can't beat the real gauges if you have the time and money as they are a step up, but the Insight is a nice little package.

Listing might not be out for a 2009, but check 2008 or 2007 with the 6.7L as this should be the same.
Mega-engr: Did you have to drill and tap to install the EGT probe or is there a port ?
Where's the best place to install it ?

thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Navy7797
Mega-engr: Did you have to drill and tap to install the EGT probe or is there a port ?
Where's the best place to install it ?

thanks
You have to drill and tap it yourself.

I installed mine in the collector. Edge has pretty good pics showing the proper place to install it.

A right angle drill is a must. It helps to remove the turbo coolant lines too for a little extra wiggle room. Its a tight work area.

Take your time and work slow. Worm and I did mine, it drilled it fine, but we broke the tap off in the manifold. Exceeded the safe working limit of beer that night...

Pucker factor went through the roof for a bit, 6.7 manifolds arnt cheap. The next day had to drive it around for 20 mins or so, heat it up, and used a punch and a chisel to work it out. Backed out as pretty as you please, finished with a new tap and everything else went smooth.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thank god i did the egr cooler delete. my plates came drilled and tapped ready for egt probe.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Which plate did you use. I would rather mine be in the collector. You wont have a skewed reading from just one cylinder that way.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
You have to drill and tap it yourself.

I installed mine in the collector. Edge has pretty good pics showing the proper place to install it.

A right angle drill is a must. It helps to remove the turbo coolant lines too for a little extra wiggle room. Its a tight work area.

Take your time and work slow. Worm and I did mine, it drilled it fine, but we broke the tap off in the manifold. Exceeded the safe working limit of beer that night...

Pucker factor went through the roof for a bit, 6.7 manifolds arnt cheap. The next day had to drive it around for 20 mins or so, heat it up, and used a punch and a chisel to work it out. Backed out as pretty as you please, finished with a new tap and everything else went smooth.
That would have surely given me a stomach ache. When I did mine, I broke a drill bit off, but hadn't made it all the way through. It was a small diameter one as I wanted a pilot hole first. Came out by hand and I was able to drill a couple increments larger to the final size. Manifold wall was quite thick and I was thinking I had picked a web inside or something. However, following the location shown in the Insight paperwork went fine. It is a tight area to work in for sure and used a 90 degree adapter to the drill. Only issue with the tap was I went a bit too deep and holder almost bottoms out before it gets tight on the tapered threads. However, it appears to be tight enough and seal. I was not fully comfortable doing this drilling and taping. Cost of a new manifold is one thing, but swapping it out is something I would not want to do as my time for my labor is scarce. Working on my stuff is supposed to be fun and not a white knuckle affair .
Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 PM

insight

Ok the ETG probe goes in the collector how about the trans temp how is it conected to the Insight, with a electronic sender from the pan, or does it have a probe/lead that goes all the way to the insight from the pan ? And what else can it monitor? The web says it montiors a lot of stuff but there's no listings of what it can do. Thanks again !

Quick Reply: gauges