3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:21 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, it commands it to 0%.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

2008 6.7l, no mods, EGR has been unplugged for 50k+ miles.

Alright, got the EGR/Cooler delete, throttle valve delete, cat-back straight pipe, and Smarty (to which I downloaded the latest version of ME last night). I will be working on the truck tonight once I get home from work, but have one nagging question:

The EGR actuator motor....once the actuator is removed, should the EGR motor remain on the truck, just hanging from something in the engine bay, or should it be removed completely? The EGR delete kit just shows it pulled from the truck, but some here say to leave it plugged in so no derate occurs. Any clarification here would be much appreciated....
Old 03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
"California Style"

You need to leave the motor plugged in to get full HP and not have a small derate. That is just the way the ECM is wired and programmed and to not have any CEL. The Smarty ME program does not allow you to remove the EGR motor so you need to leave it zip tied somewhere. I just left mine bolted in place and disabled.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:45 PM

ok what does derate mean ? i have my egr motor or plunger compleatly unhooked and gone. should i hook it back up leave it dangle ???? then what is the CCV delete ? any pics ?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:34 PM
"California Style"

The EGR plunger removed from the motor is the way that it is disabled. So good there, then just leave the motor plugged in and bolt it back into the stock location or intall the delete plates and leave the motor electrically connected and zip tied out of the way. Hope that is more clear?

CCV is closed crankcase ventilation and a separate issue that I'm not entirely familiar with yet.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:34 PM

guess i dont understand y u got to have the motor connnected if it not doinging anything ?? but if u guys say so i will take ur word for it .. if it means more power lol
Old 03-10-2011, 05:53 PM
"California Style"

I think that the ECM is hardwired to where it needs to see the motor there and connected to operate. It is a part of the architecture so to speak. I would also think that one could simply plug in a SIM or something really and do the same thing to fool the ECM/Program and hence the bulky motor could be removed without any derating. Yes, it will derate about 40HP if it is disconnected. Most have not even noticed it. This is what happens when one disconnect the EGR connector and gets the soft code CEL and the MPG improves. You don't have as much power and hence better MPG, and most do not even notice the difference in power unless you're lead footing it all the time and at that point why are you then looking for MPG increases?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:02 PM

well i will be connnected it back in tomorow thanks for the info ..mega..
Old 03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
mega hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for taking up my slack bud!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Are there loop-back devices that can be plugged in instead of leaving the egr in place? Iw ould rather not worry about it getting damaged in case I wanted to put it back to stock.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:27 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
mega hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for taking up my slack bud!
My pleasure Buddy!

Originally Posted by MNY_PIT
Are there loop-back devices that can be plugged in instead of leaving the egr in place? Iw ould rather not worry about it getting damaged in case I wanted to put it back to stock.
That would certainly be a nice way to go... Surprised it has not been done yet that I know of. This would clean things up even more for the full delete crowd. I find that the intake is a nice place to just keep it bolted to and non-functional .
Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mega-engr
That would certainly be a nice way to go... Surprised it has not been done yet that I know of.
Lets talk about this a bit What would I need to make one of these? the plug and a schematic so I could figure out which wires went where. Suggestions or ideas?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:00 PM
"California Style"

Maybe someone with that electrical data can chime in. I think that the "motor" may be a linear actuator of sorts and doesn't use rotation to operate the EGR valve. I'm just guessing here though. It may be as simple as putting somthing to groud or a resistor. I believe that resistors is how the early DPF deletes were being employed to fool the stock computer that things were still there. Need to know what voltage the computer needs to see and think everything is sitting there ready to do nothing in this case.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Maybe someone with that electrical data can chime in. I think that the "motor" may be a linear actuator of sorts and doesn't use rotation to operate the EGR valve. I'm just guessing here though. It may be as simple as putting somthing to groud or a resistor. I believe that resistors is how the early DPF deletes were being employed to fool the stock computer that things were still there. Need to know what voltage the computer needs to see and think everything is sitting there ready to do nothing in this case.
You are correct. It is a servo. The resistor never worked because there were too many other variables. Even if you just plugged the EGR tube with the freeze plug did it do anything but cause trouble. Other than the freeze plug and a tuner as Blake said, there isn't much you can do without the tuner.

Shibby Engineering came out with his new intake heater. Let me tell you! It works great and with the grid heater delete, your truck will wake up and still start in the cold.

Blake! Excellent!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

I think that the ECM is hardwired to where it needs to see the motor there and connected to operate. It is a part of the architecture so to speak. I would also think that one could simply plug in a SIM or something really and do the same thing to fool the ECM/Program and hence the bulky motor could be removed without any derating. Yes, it will derate about 40HP if it is disconnected. Most have not even noticed it. This is what happens when one disconnect the EGR connector and gets the soft code CEL and the MPG improves. You don't have as much power and hence better MPG, and most do not even notice the difference in power unless you're lead footing it all the time and at that point why are you then looking for MPG increases?
That is correct Mega. . . But for the engines sake, leave the damned thing unplugged.

I was one of the people who started on the unplugginh 4 years ago. As said, the soft warning you get is a very small price to pay.

The EGR is taking soot laiden raw exhaust and pumping it back into the intake. Long term, intakes get clogged. With the EGR disconnected the regens are reduced because you are not recycling exhaust. The EGR is supposed to reduce NOX, but at a very high price.

Also, if you look deep in the specs, the life of a 6.7 is speced to 350,000 miles over the 5.9 550K.

I recently had my air horn off and my intake was clean as a whistle.\

Quick Reply: Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right!