3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Buddy in route to South america w/ a 6.7 i'm thinking he's gonna have fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:05 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buddy in route to South america w/ a 6.7 i'm thinking he's gonna have fuel issues

So what can he do? he's already on the road trip, left about a week ago, he's got a 120 gallon in bed tank and a 54 gallon tansfer flo replacement tank, so i imagine he's gonna get a rude awakening when he stops to fill up down south of the US border tomorrow or the day after. He is already down by San Pedro Honduras or at least he was saturday evening visiting family when he possed this question to me

They arent running ULSD down there so right away hes gonna probably be contending with plugged DPF right? he installed an extra 2 micron inline fuel filter and some sort of fancy water fuel seperation system also but i dont think the engine emissions system is going to handle the high sulfer fuel too well? the samples of fuel from down there that ive seen arent very promising either.

He's going to be down there probably for 24-36 months doing some Geological work (works for a mineral exploration company) so keeping a reliable vehicle is paramount, especially with his wife being with him. he bought the truck to go down there in and he's probably going to leave it in Honduras at his parents place when the job is done. but for the next 24 months at least does he have much for options or is he in for major issues? he did a SBC before he left and he installed a second pickup line into his tank with a spare switch activated lift pump and a ball valve incase the intank pump poops out in BFE. but the emissions equiptment never crossed anyone minds, especially since his 05 cummins had zero issues for 200k + miles down there on his last stay.

This isnt about defeating the emissions equiptment, its about what kind of trouble he's gotten himself into and what he can do to keep on track or keep the truck on the road for the next 3 years since warranty work is not a AAA tow away
Old 03-31-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it becomes a problem he can get a DPF delete.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:44 PM

The older 5.9 is whats available in those countrys new because of the fuel.Only place 6.7s are sold new is here.If I was him I'd be very nervous about what may happen with that truck there.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:20 PM

I know i was just in Argentina, I drove a 2005 super duty F100 with a 5 speed and a 4.2L inline 6 diesel with a mechanical VE pump that is mounted at the rear of the block by the flywheel. The super duty F4000 on the ranch i stayed at was pretty cool it sounded an AWEFUL lot like a 12v cummins, i climbed under it and it looked a ton like a mechanical cummins but it was evening and the ranch hand had the keys, so i can not confirm indefinately what the power plant was under the hood though it did have a mechanical lift pump on the isde of the block. In talking to a few people down there it sounds like the 4BT is an optional engine in the SWB F100's. which are cool, they are super dutys with 8 lug dana 60/70 axles F&R 5 speeds and short beds. Bizare stuff down there. only saw three or four new dodges never one standing still long enough to get the owner to pop the hood. everything is diesel and everything was still mechanically injected. he probably should have bought a new rig down there but air bags and other safety features werent available down there. brakes on the new dodges in Argentina were drum in the rear, looked like a different rear axle than we have too, possibly a dana but that was just at a glance.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:09 PM

12V's sound awesome! Wish my CR sounded like one at times. It may be the Ford inline 6 that was developed in brazil. It has a P pump but is mounted on the passenger side. The exhaust manifold on the driver. I believe its a 7.2 liter or something close to that.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:38 PM

I'd do a dpf delete and keep the junk so he can put it back on so if he wanted to he could get it legal again in the US.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:22 PM

Is there any reason not to ask who makes the delete. I know its not a topic to get talking about but would just like to know who makes it in case. It does or doesnt need tuning to go along with it? Thanks
Old 04-01-2008, 12:22 AM

He's got issues, truck has been in Regen since he filled up this morning. mileage he says has been around 8-10 since his fill up down from 17-18 on the way down.

I would be interested in the DPF delete kit info, sounds like he is going to probably turn around and head back to honduras so he can sort this out. he's not expected at the job site until april 20th so he says he has time . to sort this out. he'll have me buy whatever he needs and ship it to him, he loves the truck and doesnt want to get rid of it, he's never bought something new, and he special ordered all the features he wanted on this one, from the leather to the 6 spd to the cab lights and the limited slip. His wife worked at Dodge when he bought it so employee pricing was part of his motivation. cant knock his intentions just sometimes a guy just has a dream and wants it un-molested by any other individual. he just happened to pick 2008 as the model year to do that in.

issues that are going to arrise with the high sulfer:

1. DPF/ CAT kit Delete.
2. EGR? is this thing goign to give him issues, will he need to address this at all? ive read that with high sulfer the soot levels are higher and that plugs the EGT valve? From what ive found tonight if you change the EGR you need to get a diffrent exhaust manifold from an earlier truck and intake horn? will the smarty address this for him?
3. does he have adiquate filtering?

Cheers im going back to tinkering on my 5.9 these 6.7s sound like a nightmare already, i like running whatever fuel wherever i want when i want in what ever country i want. sounds like a nightmare to buy a new truck only to be stuck in the USA and not able to drive anywhere but in the USA.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:33 AM

CALL Bay Area

They have the best Delete kit right now. He does not need to go the full 5 inch route. Just do the 4 inch section where the DPF is and NOX is for $575. It takes about an hour to install. It works really good. THe kit is not 100% code free unless you run the Edge and set it to "clear codes on start" then it will clear all hidden pending codes and he will not get any CEL's. Bay Area is almost done with the code free kit. They will send him the new fooler box when they are done so he can go ahead and get one now. Call them and tell them what is going on and they will help. Very nice to talk to.

Bay Area
http://www.badptrucks.com/dodgedelete.htm
Old 04-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Banned

just my .02 for bud. on these new caterpillar engines running the wrong fuel with cause the wastegate line to errode and eventually have a hole in it. might tell him too check that.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 AM

anybody ever priced shipping heavy stuff out of this country

holy smokes..... UPS is pricy, but they garantee delivery
Old 04-01-2008, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ddestruel

I *had* to ship a light bar and lights to Canada using UPS because it was too big for USPS and they ripped me a new one. It was only about 4 times higher than USPS for the same service not to mention that they also charge fees in lots of countries also. I'm sure they love international business.

I would try USPS if it's not too large and heavy. They are much more reasonable when it comes to shipping stuff cross-border and they do not collect fees once the item gets there. They get all my international business.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ddestruel

UPS is worth it because it will get there. If you use Bay Area ask them to box it EXTRA good. Their 5 inch kits have been dented up from time to time through UPS. If he gets just the straight pipe section they should be able to spend extra time to protect it for a long journey.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 AM

Would have bought me a clean 12 valve.Gone over it with a fine tooth comb and used it in South America.Would not have even considered a 24 valve electronic truck to take down there.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Would have bought me a clean 12 valve.Gone over it with a fine tooth comb and used it in South America.Would not have even considered a 24 valve electronic truck to take down there.
you and me both but like he said it was more the significant other insisted, plus hes not that mechanically inclined, and he wanted a brand new vehicle.

Quick Reply: Buddy in route to South america w/ a 6.7 i'm thinking he's gonna have fuel issues