3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Buddy in route to South america w/ a 6.7 i'm thinking he's gonna have fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, my 24 valve would have been fine, so any pre common rail would have been great.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
DPF by-pass kit ordered and shipped off to him. we'll see, i'll report back with the results he sees and how it impacts his engine running on that high sulfer fuel down there.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's hard to believe is how that would just slip someone's mind... I would have found a used 07 5.9...... But I guess since he was set on that truck then it all worked out for him.

I'd definately put some instructions on how to hook all it up and an address to a place to buy the kit in the glove box so when he leaves it doesn't become a burden for his parents if it malfunctions.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:58 AM

right on!!!

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Would have bought me a clean 12 valve.Gone over it with a fine tooth comb and used it in South America.Would not have even considered a 24 valve electronic truck to take down there.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ddestruel
DPF by-pass kit ordered and shipped off to him. we'll see, i'll report back with the results he sees and how it impacts his engine running on that high sulfer fuel down there.

It will run great with the DPF off. I don't see what the LSD could hurt. Tell him to hold onto the DPF and NOX pipe and bring it back. He may need it if his state smogs and it could be several thousand dollars for a new one.

As for power the the DPF delete kit added about 5hp but added 85ftlbs of torque on the dyno. His Milage will go up about 2-3mpg and EGTs will be much lower.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:26 PM

highrpm, thanks so much for the Bay Area info i passed it on to my brother in law and he's got one comming. He's been waiting for a while for me to run across that info to get him, thanks again.
Ryan
Old 04-02-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote...He's going to be down there probably for 24-36 months doing some Geological work (works for a mineral exploration company) so keeping a reliable vehicle is paramount....

So warannty is up and out of the question. Cut off the dpf and cat. What else can a guy do? Being PW and going off the grid he asked for it. Might as well get rid of the egr for that matter. He needs to find a mechanic, should check with the wife first!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by stock600
highrpm, thanks so much for the Bay Area info i passed it on to my brother in law and he's got one comming. He's been waiting for a while for me to run across that info to get him, thanks again.
Ryan
No problem. I would also tell him to consider blocking off the EGR. People who have taken off their air horns with 6.7's have said the grid was so clogged with carbon. Some companies are staring to offer a kit or he can do it himself. Here is the do it yourself (it is pretty easy) and the company that has sells the EGR delete.

Do it yourself:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-...ns-w-pics.html

Infinite Power
http://www.ipoweranddesign.com/index...id=4&Itemid=26
Old 04-07-2008, 02:06 PM

Boy he was in a hurry he had it express shipped on UPS.

DPF delete is on his truck, he did say the intake grid was unbelievably caked with soot like chunks of soot. so he cleaned that up blocked off the EGR and installed the DPF delete kit. he also installed a few extra holes in his air cleaner box.

He said the truck is not kicking into a constant state of Regen, which is great, he'll get back to me later this week on mileage gains but he says the truck is alot snappier and doesnt feel as laggy going down the highways. Also he said he noticed a pronounced change in the tone of the motor when he burned up the last of his US fuel to the South american fuel, the mild pinging the motor used to make is all but gone, its just a dull engine noise.

FYI his is a 08 4dr short bed 4x4 6.7 with 6 spd 3.42's and 285/70/R17's. Limited slip rear, he sous have a winch bumper on the front.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:45 PM

I have heard folks living near the border are buying their trucks across the border at a lower cost and they don't have any emision equipment on them.
Mexico doesn't have but one kind of diesel and it's not low sulfer.
The 2008s across the border may still have the 5.9 in them.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:20 PM

You can get the 5.9 in other markets and for off road use only.
The offroad trucks are mine trucks that are limited to like 25mph and have 170hp... You can change it with a programmer I believe and you can get chrysler to program your regular truck that way if you want.
I think if you go onto edmunds you can opt it.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by ddestruel
Boy he was in a hurry he had it express shipped on UPS.

DPF delete is on his truck, he did say the intake grid was unbelievably caked with soot like chunks of soot. so he cleaned that up blocked off the EGR and installed the DPF delete kit. he also installed a few extra holes in his air cleaner box.

He said the truck is not kicking into a constant state of Regen, which is great, he'll get back to me later this week on mileage gains but he says the truck is alot snappier and doesnt feel as laggy going down the highways. Also he said he noticed a pronounced change in the tone of the motor when he burned up the last of his US fuel to the South american fuel, the mild pinging the motor used to make is all but gone, its just a dull engine noise.

FYI his is a 08 4dr short bed 4x4 6.7 with 6 spd 3.42's and 285/70/R17's. Limited slip rear, he sous have a winch bumper on the front.

He is not messing around! Does does he have an Edge Juice running? If so have him set it to clear codes on start up and make sure to wait for the Edge to say the codes are cleared. This will clear any pending codes and prevent a CEL.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:45 PM

no he not added a programmer or chip yet
Old 04-07-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Billy Ram
I have heard folks living near the border are buying their trucks across the border at a lower cost and they don't have any emision equipment on them.
Mexico doesn't have but one kind of diesel and it's not low sulfer.
The 2008s across the border may still have the 5.9 in them.
you would have a whole lot of problems registering it here. mexican trucks dont have to meet anywhere near the same safety regulations as here in the states. the same with the emissions requirements.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:09 PM

I believe the 6.7 is a USA truck only.Dodge ads from other places in the world had 5.9s advertised.Was a thread on this a short while back.

Quick Reply: Buddy in route to South america w/ a 6.7 i'm thinking he's gonna have fuel issues