3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XZT Quad box

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XZT Quad box

I have 06 5.9L with the XZT race box on it. When in 3rd power level I have what sounds like spark knock on mod to heavy accel. Has anyone had this happen to them? If so what did you find to be problem and what did you do to fix concern? I have drop in air filter and mbrp 4 in cat back exhaust.
Have run the PPE programmer and do not notice the pinging under heavy accel. Any info would be great. Maybe Qzilla can help out on this.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:05 PM

Sounds like timing rattle from the additional timing. Do you have any other timing mods like a Rokktech or the tone ring mod?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:28 PM

Only the Quad box. Have a PPE programmer but do not use it with the Quad box. It is the race version. I am wondering if I need to put a better fuel pump on it. Any thoughts.

MegaOx
Old 07-22-2007, 10:46 PM

i have the xzt towing box on mine, it is a timing knock, i have 40K hard miles on mine with the box installed with no issues from the knock.

the only thing that is bugging me about the setup is the engine codes it throws altitude
Old 07-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rockhound
i have the xzt towing box on mine, it is a timing knock, i have 40K hard miles on mine with the box installed with no issues from the knock.

the only thing that is bugging me about the setup is the engine codes it throws altitude
What codes are you getting?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:42 AM

You really don't "need" a better lift pump if you are just running the XZT box. Unless yours is bad already...
Old 08-03-2007, 03:11 PM

Question

I have the same issue with my race module, and I do have a Rokktech. Like MegaOX said you hear it from moderate to heavy acceleration on power level three. I just got a new module from Quadzilla, and I don't remember this rattle with the old one. Is this something I need to worry about? Tried calling one of the techs at Quad and there all gone for the weekend.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:43 PM

Some timing rattle is normal w/ Quad boxes. It even tells you that in the manual. Of course they don't compensate for the fact that you may have a Rokktech. If you feel you are getting too much timing then you may want to back the Rokktech off to a setting where you feel more comfortable with it...
Old 08-03-2007, 09:17 PM

I second Dodgezilla. Too much of a good thing (timing) can be devastating to your pistons heads. I'm about to trade in my pressure for a Race. Quad customer service is the best. Try giving them another call. Or find Quad himself on here and ask him.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
You really don't "need" a better lift pump if you are just running the XZT box. Unless yours is bad already...
Gonna have to disagree with you on this one Zilla....

I'd pull my fuel pressure to ZERO with the Quad XZT and nothing else. Then I modded the bejesus outta my fuel system...
Old 08-03-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
Gonna have to disagree with you on this one Zilla....

I'd pull my fuel pressure to ZERO with the Quad XZT and nothing else. Then I modded the bejesus outta my fuel system...

I have to agree with trik396 here too. I didn't think I'd ever have to bump my fuel delivery with just a tow module, but i can easily draw mine to zero as well. Now I'm working on getting a fuel system delivery upgrade.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:18 AM

Then I would say both of you had weak LPs. Mine stays around 10 at idle. 9 while cruising. And drops no lower then 4-5 at WOT with my Predator on the Extreme RKL tune. Maybe I just got a good pump.......
Old 08-04-2007, 06:30 AM

Then I would say both of you had weak LPs. Mine stays around 10 at idle. 9 while cruising. And drops no lower then 4-5 at WOT with my Predator on the Extreme RKL tune. Maybe I just got a good pump.......

Mine is still in, no upgrade yet.

Same as yours, 10 at idle, 9 while cruisin', but can draw to zero WOT in power level 3. Can get it own to 3 or 4 psi on level 2, and 4 or 5 psi on levels 1 & 0.

So, holds pretty well anything on level 2 and lower. I've been watching this really close. These numbers are fairly consistent....city / highway.....hills / flat....loaded / empty. So, I can' see the pump being weak..........well, they're marginal from the factory as is, but you know what I mean.

When I do get it low, the engine doesn't stumble or anything, so the CP3 must still be getting slight pressure. I am wondering if another pump inline would be enough to maintain that pressure a bit better.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Festus
Mine is still in, no upgrade yet.

Same as yours, 10 at idle, 9 while cruisin', but can draw to zero WOT in power level 3. Can get it own to 3 or 4 psi on level 2, and 4 or 5 psi on levels 1 & 0.

So, holds pretty well anything on level 2 and lower. I've been watching this really close. These numbers are fairly consistent....city / highway.....hills / flat....loaded / empty. So, I can' see the pump being weak..........well, they're marginal from the factory as is, but you know what I mean.

When I do get it low, the engine doesn't stumble or anything, so the CP3 must still be getting slight pressure. I am wondering if another pump inline would be enough to maintain that pressure a bit better.
Mine was exactly the same with only a couple thousand miles on it. Smarty on levels #3 and #5 would pull it down to "0" but the engine wouldn't miss a beat. On levels #7 and #9 it would cause a stumble/hesitation in the upper RPM's.

A second inline pump has worked great for me so far. I get 25psi at idle, 20-21 while cruising, and no less than 14 at WOT. Not sure how long the Holley will last, but if it does break I can bypass it by loosening a couple hose clamps and putting the stock steel piece of line back in.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No doubt your correct there... I don't like stock stuff anyway, so it gave me a reason to upgrade.... to a Walbro....

Quick Reply: XZT Quad box