3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

whats the thoughts on the modified rail

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats the thoughts on the modified rail

wondering if the modified rail is worth it. give me the bad/good...whatever
Old 05-12-2010, 07:09 AM

is there anyone running one?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 AM

I am running the modded rail. I decided to install it as part of my fuel system upgrades. Since it gives you more fuel volume it only made sense.

I plan on installing an AD 150. I also plan to do the CP3 'bag of parts'. Then will come some bigger injectors. When you do all those things and run the stock rail, your stock rail is like having a restrictor in-line. So, it only made sense to do the rail as part of the fuel system upgrades.

CD
Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CD in NM
I am running the modded rail. I decided to install it as part of my fuel system upgrades. Since it gives you more fuel volume it only made sense.

I plan on installing an AD 150. I also plan to do the CP3 'bag of parts'. Then will come some bigger injectors. When you do all those things and run the stock rail, your stock rail is like having a restrictor in-line. So, it only made sense to do the rail as part of the fuel system upgrades.

CD

Given the pressures involved, I'd want to see demonstrable evidence that the rail is, in fact a restriction worth remedying.

JMO
Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 AM

But how do you know it helped? You say you dont have fuel upgrades. How do you know?

CD
Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 AM

Well, my truck never had smoke coming out of the tailpipe, maybe a little haze, but not smoke. Now I have some smoke - it's a sign of fuel increase.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding fuel starvation being part of the problem with injector failure, any amount of increase in volume would be a good thing. The modded rail does increase volume. Look at the BIG HP performance trucks, they run twin rails to feed their fueling needs. Our CP3 as designed will provide more fuel than the rail can handle.

CD
Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks for replying. I understand what you are saying about restrictions and such. But I need real world results. I have bought way to many parts over the past 6 years and then they dont perform as advertised. One example was the BD top speed eliminator for my truck. Spent couple hundred, severl hours to install severl days of testing and it didnt do anything for my truck. Spent several months trying to figure out why...you get the picture?
Well, my truck never had smoke coming out of the tailpipe, maybe a little haze, but not smoke. Now I have some smoke - it's a sign of fuel increase.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding fuel starvation being part of the problem with injector failure, any amount of increase in volume would be a good thing. The modded rail does increase volume. Look at the BIG HP performance trucks, they run twin rails to feed their fueling needs. Our CP3 as designed will provide more fuel than the rail can handle.

CD
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's not a given that an increase or presence of smoke is an indicator of increased fueling. A shortage of air, wrong timing, poor ring seal, bad injector, low rail pressure-- all can cause more smoke with no increase in fueling.

More power on the dyno MAY be evidence of restriction removal, but not necessarily.

The inner diameter of the rail used on the new ISX feeds 600hp with ease, and it's much smaller than you think it would be.

JH

CD
Old 05-12-2010, 10:49 AM

Very true HOHN. My truck has been running excellently, so I just surmised that the smoke was an indicator since the only changes I made was to do the rail.

CD
Old 05-12-2010, 10:52 AM

I don't know if this is right or not but wouldn't more volume mean less pressure which might cause more smoke since there's less rail pressure.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 AM

So yesterday I searched "modded rail" - read down through about 7-8 posts and got nothing. So today I search "modded rail" and I go clear down to post 20 or 21 and there is a thread entitle "MODDED RAIL"

why in the flip wasnt this thread at the top?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I would call Tim Barber and see what the deal is. I don't think he is running a modded rail on his truck and I don't think he ran one on his blue truck either.both are high hp trucks.I personally don't see the need but what do I know.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 AM

Thanks Rye,

I dont think Tim needs another question from me right now
He is probably getting tired of dealing with me!
Originally Posted by RyeThomas
I would call Tim Barber and see what the deal is. I don't think he is running a modded rail on his truck and I don't think he ran one on his blue truck either.both are high hp trucks.I personally don't see the need but what do I know.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by farmboykjb5.9
I don't know if this is right or not but wouldn't more volume mean less pressure which might cause more smoke since there's less rail pressure.
Volume does not hurt as long as the supply can keep up with demand, since liquids are not compressible and hopefully there will be no air in the system. The issue is pressure drop from point A (CP3 outlet) to point B (Injector Inlet). Anything to reduce the pressure drop improves fuel supply potential.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by farmboykjb5.9

I think my use of the word volume might have been a little mislaced, in actuality maybe available supply would/could have been a better choice.

My rail pressure has not changed, still the same as before the modded rail install.

CD

Quick Reply: whats the thoughts on the modified rail