3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What is a HPOP gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a HPOP gauge?

I am looking at the Isspro Performax gauges and they offer a HPOP gauge. I can't find anything that explains what this is. Anyone know?
Old 11-27-2008, 11:08 PM

It's a gauge for the Powerstrokes. Measures the pressure from the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP). Since the Powerstrokes, well the 7.3 and 6.0 anyway, are an HEUI (Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injecton - developed by CAT) system that uses high pressure oil, pressurized by a rotary piston pump, to pressurize the fuel inside of each injector, via the use of an intensifier piston at a ratio of anywhere from 5:1 to 7:1 depending on the injector, the HPOP gauge allows that high pressure oil to be monitored.

You could kind of equate it to rail pressure on a common rail. You'll want to monitor it so you know if it is dropping under a load or at WOT. If the HPOP pressure drops, so does the pressure that the fuel is being injected into the cylinder. Low HPOP pressure is not good since it means the injection pressure is low as well, like if the rail is being drained on a common rail.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:39 AM

jtharvey hit the nail on the head... the HEUI system is why seriously modded injectors for the stroker can run up to $3K for a set. And to run those serious big injectors, we require modded HPOPs to keep up with fuel requirements... Expensive to mod a 7.3...
Old 11-28-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by snoyes
Expensive to mod a 7.3...
You're not kidding! Been there, done that, rodded that block. Moved on to better things.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jtharvey
It's a gauge for the Powerstrokes. Measures the pressure from the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP). Since the Powerstrokes, well the 7.3 and 6.0 anyway, are an HEUI (Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injecton - developed by CAT) system that uses high pressure oil, pressurized by a rotary piston pump, to pressurize the fuel inside of each injector, via the use of an intensifier piston at a ratio of anywhere from 5:1 to 7:1 depending on the injector, the HPOP gauge allows that high pressure oil to be monitored.

You could kind of equate it to rail pressure on a common rail. You'll want to monitor it so you know if it is dropping under a load or at WOT. If the HPOP pressure drops, so does the pressure that the fuel is being injected into the cylinder. Low HPOP pressure is not good since it means the injection pressure is low as well, like if the rail is being drained on a common rail.
Thanks for the info. Hey I like your avatar. Who do you race with? CMRA? Or just track days? Here is my scooter.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:19 AM

Thanks. A buddy of mine used to have a bike like yours...sharp looking bike!

I was racing with CCS from 03-05, and did a little bit of ASRA team challenge stuff in 05-06. Only hit the track on a couple of track days in 07 and unfortunately didn't have the chance to do either in 08. Hell, I hardly had the time to even throw a leg over a bike this past summer. I was too busy (and broke...LOL) working on the CR conversion in the truck.

I love the competition, but racing got expensive with fuel, hotels, meals, and the worst was tires for the bike. I'm going to stick to the track days for a while. Even though it's a tick slower, it's still a blast, and much less expensive. Although, there is the off chance I could be doing a little Moto ST in '09, but it's not looking like it.

Here's a few albums on my webshots from the racing and track days.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:34 AM

Cool. I used to race Texas Mini Gp (YSR's) back in the day. My buddy I used to race with now races with CMRA. Too expensive for me (he has sponsors). I have not had many chances to ride mine either. Take it easy.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:44 AM

I bet those YSR's were a blast. Like a grown up pocket bike. If I do the Moto ST thing, it will only be because of sponsors and a connection through a friend. Last we talked about it though was earlier this summer, before the economy took it's major nose dive, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a no-go now.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:35 PM

Looking at Billet Rods for my 7.3 since it has PMRs... Price aside, they are becoming almost impossible to find.... Priced out a 600 HP motor and it was about $20K. I am also throwing around the Fummins... What trans do you have behind your Cummins, I'd like to keep my built 4R100 by BTS....
Old 11-28-2008, 08:43 PM

It's crazy expensive to make big HP on a 7.3. That's one of the reasons I did the swap. It just didn't make sense to spend $20K on 600 HP. $20K on a Cummins swap would get you...heck I don't even know. I've got about $10K in mine, after selling PSD parts to offset the cost -- about $16K in the motor, adapters, and go-fast goodies...sold about $6K of 7.3 stuff, not counting the engine that was thrashed.

For a trans, I kept my BTS. It's working well behind the 5.9.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:56 PM

Oh I agree....

For $20K I'd be money ahead to sell the Ford and buy a new truck. I couldn't believe the price sheets I got from Brian at BTS and Black Widow Diesel... Hence I did the next logical thing, which was to look towards a Fummins. Doing what you did for $10K is awesome. I know there was a couple of companies doing the Cummins swaps, I was told $15-20K for the swap, and then I could sell off the old engine (which only has 46K on it).
Old 11-28-2008, 09:33 PM

I did it for $10K, but did all the labor myself. $15-$20K sound about right if you're paying a shop to do the work. I wanted to do it myself though. It definitely took a while. Once I decided to do the swap and got all the parts here, it took me about 3-4 months of working nights and weekends to get it done. I figure I've got about 250 hours or so in it, but that includes all the time I spent modifying the engine before it every went in, and I did quite a bit of extra little things to mine that's not at all necessary.