3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What the heck!!! A Dmax won the Diesel Power Challange East!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all in the combination, not the brand. You can throw buckets of money at something, have the best of everything, and still have a pig. You can make 1000 Hp and 1500 ft.lbs. and get spanked by something with half as much power because they are able to use their power. A poor driver can also make a really stout truck look bad, just as a good driver can wring every last drop out of something. Big dyno numbers look good on paper and sound impressive when bench racing, but the BS stops when the green comes on.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Loco.Breath
It's all in the combination, not the brand. You can throw buckets of money at something, have the best of everything, and still have a pig. You can make 1000 Hp and 1500 ft.lbs. and get spanked by something with half as much power because they are able to use their power. A poor driver can also make a really stout truck look bad, just as a good driver can wring every last drop out of something. Big dyno numbers look good on paper and sound impressive when bench racing, but the BS stops when the green comes on.
Good post loco. Its all true. Dyno numbers are nice to have just to see what kind of power youre making, but when it comes down to competition, u might as well throw em out the window.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:41 AM
Chapter President

I just wish they would come out with a 2wd drive class so I can enter, as the sled pulling part pretty much disqualifies any 2wd trucks. Talk about biased!!!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up a copy of the magazine last night, and read the shootout part. Congrats to the DMAX winner, and that is a nice truck that he has done some great knowledgable work with. But with at least 98% of the rest of the trucks I was not impressed in the least. I mean one of the HD Ferds showed up with what was essentially a Banks PDA, and thats it....well and the Harley stickers added some HP to be sure I mean I could have shown up with my puiny Edge J/A I guess I was expecting to see trucks (Dodge, Chevy, and Ford) all modded out close to the level of trucks like Tanker Yanker, D.wiggs, and a few others here. Oh well a win is a win is a win, hats off to the DMAX, but please as discussed earlier in this thread, bring them some real competition this upcoming year!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Read the article it goes into depth how one 'twinned' turbo cummins had to be operated on after it blew a turbo and headgasket.
Thanks, I should of read it first.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As DonM mentioned if we don't get past the "old school" idea of just dumping more fuel into it... we are going to be losing more of these things. Don’t get me wrong I love the old 12v but times have changed and we need to get past just hard parts. The Smarty and TST are steps in the right direction but we need even more adjustability to stay on top.

But my original point was that there are a lot of guys that could have taken this competition but they just didn't show up or want to... Why?

The Dmax is formidable Isuzu knows diesels very well and has designed a good engine, and GM will learn how to ring more out of it every year.

GM always has had the largest aftermarket following and that’s one reason they got EFI live before us. (True Cummins has had the diesel support longer but that can change overnight.) If we don't get more support from the tech departments and start putting to full use the tuning ability that others have we are going to see more not less results like this one in Diesel Power.

And we NEED guys to show up to these things this was a HUGE marketing boost for the Dmax. I for one would like to see more Cummins on the road not less because this will mean more support for us. But the only way to get that support is to KEEP winning these types of competitions. Otherwise tuners will just follow the money trail to whoever has the most support. And lets face it GM has more Diesels on the road now than ever before.

The mighty Cummins has never seen competition like this.

Did any of that make any sense???
Old 12-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Banned

yes it makes sense. the dmaxes won both east and west, but the remainder of the high finishes were CTD's. so if you look at the averages, the rams do better overall. i can't believe they put the harley davidson ford in there with a K&N and small chip(wasnt it). what a poor showing for the ford crowd.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Boz007
I bet its just the magazine being biased in who they pick to compete. I mean seriously, there had to be plenty of Dodges enter that had more than enough power to be competive, they just werent chosen to compete.
Originally Posted by subspd
My point is this, that Dmax had way more going on than the Dodges that were there??? A little strange to me? I am just saying I hate to see all this good publicity going to a Dmax... to me it would have been nice to see the Cummins get the glory it deserves...
Originally Posted by BlackSunShyne
I picked up a copy of the magazine last night, and read the shootout part. Congrats to the DMAX winner, and that is a nice truck that he has done some great knowledgable work with. But with at least 98% of the rest of the trucks I was not impressed in the least. I mean one of the HD Ferds showed up with what was essentially a Banks PDA, and thats it....well and the Harley stickers added some HP to be sure I mean I could have shown up with my puiny Edge J/A I guess I was expecting to see trucks (Dodge, Chevy, and Ford) all modded out close to the level of trucks like Tanker Yanker, D.wiggs, and a few others here. Oh well a win is a win is a win, hats off to the DMAX, but please as discussed earlier in this thread, bring them some real competition this upcoming year!
There were 5 Cummins invited all 5 had twins, one had nitrous, one had water/meth, one had water meth and nitrous. Dustin Meyers with the black 03 CR Cummins was 2nd in points pulling in the DHRA SuperStreet class in 06.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
I have 2 questions about this entire thread,

1- How much of a teardown or engine repair work did the D-max need after or during any of the events?

None, the motor has over 113k miles on it and is still 100% stock except the headstuds and honed nozzles. All upgrades are just bolt ons.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:19 PM
chw

tomac,your truck rocks!! congrats on the win...was it just me are were the dyno numbers kinda low i noticed no one broke the mid 600's to me thats odd your truck along with a couple others should have made more than that??
Old 12-17-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by chw
tomac,your truck rocks!! congrats on the win...was it just me are were the dyno numbers kinda low i noticed no one broke the mid 600's to me thats odd your truck along with a couple others should have made more than that??
Yes the dyno was very stingy. There were a couple guys that claimed to have dynoed over 700 on a dynojet. That was the first time I had been on the dyno since I had a stock turbo.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:43 PM

Yeah i garantee that JL's truck is puttin more out than what it did!
Old 12-17-2006, 07:44 PM

BTW congrats Tomac!