3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What fuel system upgrade would you buy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, first it must be noted that I stray from the herd on this issue.

3 months ago I wanted the answer, FASS vs. Walbro vs. Wicked vs. Mitusa.

Ok, I also must note that I've learned everything about my truck from this forum and all in the last 7 months no less.

And my opinion is, you must first be logical. Do you need a pump that'll support 1,000HP???? 99% of us do not. 600HP, yes.

The conclusion I have come to is that the Walbro and the Fass are both tried and true. The Wicked kit is new, but some swear by it. What I did was compile everything I read and built my own system. For $650 I've got a Walbro, 2MK filter, and an Aeromotive bypass regulator with boost reference capability out of the box. I will be using my factory fuel bowl to retain the heating element for the winter. I'm not running boost reference b/c the fuel bowl lid (plasitc) cracks at apx. 50psi. Ok, the Aero comes with 2 springs, 30psi and below, and 60psi and below. I talked to Richard and got his adapter and drawstraw. Richard said that the factory filter is a fuel/water sep. filter.. which I didn't know. But, I'm pulling it out and just using the bowl for the heater. I picked up a universal filter head for the 2MK. Should my Walbro ever fail, I get my factory LP from under the seat and in 10 minutes I'm back down the road. If I want to push 100psi then I can put in the big spring and boost regulate for the other 40psi. all I have to do is pull the line off the fuel bowl and go straight from the regulator to the CP3 inlet. Richards kit uses a check valve on the frame. I've been told it's best to regulate as close to the CP3 as possible.

Long story short, for the same price, I have endless possibilities and if it all goes by the way side, for $115 I've got a new pump at my door. But, I'm also the guy building my own stacks, built my own intake, etc. I'm sure Willey can appreciate what I'm saying. Some people will be content with a kit. I'm just not. I honestly can't say which one is best. But, I don't think it's what's the best. I think it's what's the best for you. Just my opinion though.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Justice4all
Now for a little pump **** for you fellas. After all the research I did, I ended up settling on the PSI Components Eliminator kit. I love this fuel system and Shane at WickedDiesels gave me a smokin deal on the kit. I really believe this is one of the best kits available. I am currently running 15 PSI without boost reference and even at WOT throttle with the Smarty and the Quad Race I can't get it to budge off 15. It is a straight forward installation and I still have ready access to the stock system if needed.
How long have you had it and what kind of warranty does it have?? Does it run inline with exsisting equip or do you totally bypass the OEM equipment
Old 09-24-2007, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I B-CUMNZ
Ok, first it must be noted that I stray from the herd on this issue.

3 months ago I wanted the answer, FASS vs. Walbro vs. Wicked vs. Mitusa.

Ok, I also must note that I've learned everything about my truck from this forum and all in the last 7 months no less.

And my opinion is, you must first be logical. Do you need a pump that'll support 1,000HP???? 99% of us do not. 600HP, yes.

The conclusion I have come to is that the Walbro and the Fass are both tried and true. The Wicked kit is new, but some swear by it. What I did was compile everything I read and built my own system. For $650 I've got a Walbro, 2MK filter, and an Aeromotive bypass regulator with boost reference capability out of the box. I will be using my factory fuel bowl to retain the heating element for the winter. I'm not running boost reference b/c the fuel bowl lid (plasitc) cracks at apx. 50psi. Ok, the Aero comes with 2 springs, 30psi and below, and 60psi and below. I talked to Richard and got his adapter and drawstraw. Richard said that the factory filter is a fuel/water sep. filter.. which I didn't know. But, I'm pulling it out and just using the bowl for the heater. I picked up a universal filter head for the 2MK. Should my Walbro ever fail, I get my factory LP from under the seat and in 10 minutes I'm back down the road. If I want to push 100psi then I can put in the big spring and boost regulate for the other 40psi. all I have to do is pull the line off the fuel bowl and go straight from the regulator to the CP3 inlet. Richards kit uses a check valve on the frame. I've been told it's best to regulate as close to the CP3 as possible.

Long story short, for the same price, I have endless possibilities and if it all goes by the way side, for $115 I've got a new pump at my door. But, I'm also the guy building my own stacks, built my own intake, etc. I'm sure Willey can appreciate what I'm saying. Some people will be content with a kit. I'm just not. I honestly can't say which one is best. But, I don't think it's what's the best. I think it's what's the best for you. Just my opinion though.
I am just like you man I love and always prefer to build my own "whatever" the project is.
I think all one can do is like you said compile all the info they can find and decide what THEY want...the reason I want to buy a kit for my fuel system is it is so close in price for buying vs building..I built a fuel system on my 01 and it kinda sucked you can get a full FASS system for $600-680...and it has everything "I" would want and need. as of today I am deciding between the Mitusa and the FASS now I don't know if I want electric or mechanical.