3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

what to add to 04 dodge 3500 for better perfpermance

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to add to 04 dodge 3500 for better perfpermance

Have an 04 Dodge Cummins 3500 dually QC am going to put in Banks gauges EGT/Tranny temp/pre turbo.. what else can I do to help fuel economy and power...
Old 06-06-2005, 09:17 AM

I have a unmodified CTD 4.5 (600) and tow real heavy without any problems.

Other than wanting to burn more fuel, I do not understand why you need more power.

I get with configuration below:-
16 MPG city
17-18 Hwy Probably higher if I travel at 55MPH
10-12 Towing. 10 in the mountains and 11-12 on the flats at 62MPH.

My 04.5 has approx 25K miles, mostly highway.

I have an auto. I put in on cruise and keep it out of "tow/Haul" and it manages the all but the steepest hills without shifting down.

My 2 cents

cheers f
Old 06-07-2005, 08:52 PM

I agree with FrankB. To get more power, you burn more fuel. Conversely, to get better fuel economy, you burn less fuel. All the "boxes" that boost power will void at leat your engine warrarnty, perhaps your entire power train warranty. Do you really want to do that? Low restriction air intake setup and low restriction exhaust don't really do anything with out a power box. Others will tell you differently. JOIBO!
Old 06-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Banned

Yup, those guys are right. DC will void the warranty on the whole drive train which includes engine, transmission, drive shafts, u-joints, axles, differentials. If you could give a hoot about warranty check into www.edgeproducts.com or click on any one of the banners at the top of these threads. The links page is also very helpful.

Just remember when it comes time for a warranty claim you are your own warranty station.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:07 PM

I have a Jayco 5th wheel thats weighs about 8500 pounds and I pull it with my 05 600. When the truck was stock I pulled it up a pretty steep grade and it pulled it in 5th gear at 70mph. Then I put the quad box in it and on the 60HP mode and the same hill I pulled it at 70mph too but, in 6th gear. Egt's are the same as stock even at WOT pulling my 5ver. I even picked up 1.5 mpg on the 60hp mode empty haven't had the chance to check it pulling. But as far as towing goes the truck pulls twice as good now.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:14 PM

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I blowed my intercooler last week because it has the plastic end caps and I took the chip out about a 10 min. job and the dearler is putting a new one in it right as we speak with no questions asked. 130hp mode when blowed.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:45 PM

All I can say about that is you are lucky. If the failure was one that required the DRB to be hooked up, it would tell the tech that the engine had been operating outside normal parameters, i.e. a box was installed. Once that information is exposed, there won't be a warranty fix. IMO, the trucks run just fine as built so I'm not going to put my warranty at risk.

Heck, it's your truck and your dime. Do what makes you happy!
Old 06-09-2005, 06:40 PM

but remember that the have to prove that a box was on. And if you dont get really crazy and start stacking you wont have any problems. I have the 130 HP Predator on my 04 Dually and love it. Fuel mileage went up a little, granted that is until I hold it to the firewall
Old 06-09-2005, 07:35 PM

It's my impression the DRB can do that. Dodge techs, feel free to jump in here.

BTW, the statement "they have prove" doesn't really hold up. All they have to do is deny warranty coverage based on the info the DRB provided, i.e. the engine operating outside normal parameters. Burden of proof is on you, the customer. Also, it's likely safe to say that DC has more money to hire lawyers than you do.

But, like I said in my previous, it's your truck and your dime. Do whatever makes you happy. I like my truck just fine as is.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by moterhead
All I can say about that is you are lucky. If the failure was one that required the DRB to be hooked up, it would tell the tech that the engine had been operating outside normal parameters, i.e. a box was installed. Once that information is exposed, there won't be a warranty fix. IMO, the trucks run just fine as built so I'm not going to put my warranty at risk.

Heck, it's your truck and your dime. Do what makes you happy!
Sorry, but you are wrong, the DRB will not pick up a performance box that was previously on the truck, it may read set some error codes the box may have set, but even then, the dealer will not know what cause the codes. Most of the boxes out there have been fined tuned and do not set codes.

Back to stymie37771 question. I think the Edge EZ would be your best bet. Set it on level 2 and your mileage should increase and you will have about 40-45 HP. If your truck is an 04.5 you will also get the in cab adjustability.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by FrankB
I have a unmodified CTD 4.5 (600) and tow real heavy without any problems.

Other than wanting to burn more fuel, I do not understand why you need more power.

I get with configuration below:-
16 MPG city
17-18 Hwy Probably higher if I travel at 55MPH
10-12 Towing. 10 in the mountains and 11-12 on the flats at 62MPH.

My 04.5 has approx 25K miles, mostly highway.

I have an auto. I put in on cruise and keep it out of "tow/Haul" and it manages the all but the steepest hills without shifting down.

My 2 cents

cheers f
FrankB
if your towing in the hill with od on and it pulls fine thats great, however if it ever jumps out of gear and you immeditaly put it in tow haul it will be to late. the torque converter will not be 100% engaged and you will chug up the hill about 55mph.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by mijpa
FrankB
if your towing in the hill with od on and it pulls fine thats great, however if it ever jumps out of gear and you immeditaly put it in tow haul it will be to late. the torque converter will not be 100% engaged and you will chug up the hill about 55mph.
If I'm towing and going up a hill in OD, when my speed gets to 60 MPH I immediately drop it into the tow/haul mode. Never had any problems maintaining and increasing speed by doing this.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:42 PM

Well I just back from a 2400+ round trip thru many hills and fast interstates.
When I am going up a long hill in OD (TH off) when it seems like it would like to lug ( just before), it always shifts down and winds up again. I have never experienced the 55 mph syndrome. I have manually turned on TH with no apparent ill effects. It shfts down and revs up. When the rpms and speed are up, I turn off the TH and it selects the approprite time to shift again including OD.

BTW I ran the 2400 from 55 mph to 70 mph and got between 10.7 and 11.4 mpg on the overhead display. (towing my RV. RV and truck grossed at 22,000)

Although the system works fine but I still would like a tranny that was a little smarter and could hold an EB.

Thanks for the info, I'll look out for the problem you mentioned.

cheers frank
Old 06-22-2005, 05:55 PM

Big Bob the dealer techs can tell whether or not you had a box on. It has happened to folks and I have read the stories. I'm not familiar with the scan tools used but I can tell you they can pick them up because these boxes leave footprints...plain and simple. It's very easy for the dealer to tell what was happening when something failed...these engines run at specific parameters and these boxes run them outside of them...sometimes far out side them. Just because one of the almighty 'codes' wasn;t present doesn;t mean other things don;t tell the tale.

As for your warranty being voided...a dealer can NOT void your warranty...only DCX can do this. BUT the dealer can (and has for me) refuse to work on your truck and then they will put on your 'file' (so to speak) what has been done to your truck. This info is available to all other dealerships who service these trucks. It is then up to DCX as to whether or not your warranty is void.

If you are lucky...and have a DECENT service man...then you have no problem. The place I bought my truck from has one...and his words were "I don't go looking for ANYTHING as I have modified my own truck. Yes...DCX AND cummins will ask me what I think the problem(s) was caused by...but unless they tell me to look for anything specific (IE a box) then you will be fine. And that doesn;t happen often that they ask."

ANother thing...unless the problem was actually caused by the modification (IE box) then they cannot void the warranty. This is directly from a service manager at a reputable dealership. Now the aftermarket part...and the damage it causes is not covered by the warranty...BUT unless you have something catastrophic happen (blown engine, turbo, etc) then I think you'll be fine. YES it;s a risk...but there's enough of us out there with fairly heavy modifications and not much trouble. As long as you are willing to take the risk that it could void your warranty...then go for it.
And if you have to ask why someone would want to modify a truck/car/bike/whatever...you just don't get it do ya
Old 08-04-2005, 11:32 PM

I discussed this at length with the foreman at the dealership I bought my truck from and he told me dc has to fix the truck if it fails. Be smart, if you're running stacked boxes, take them off before you go in for warranty. The burden of proof IS ON THE DEALER to show the failure was casued by an aftermarket piece. They can't just void the warranty becasue they THINK something was on your truck. If they try to give you any hassle, there are alot of dealers out there, just don't give them obvious reasons to do so.