3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water / Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water / Meth Injection

Curious as to how many are running water/meth injection ? Seems to me that would be the holy grail with carboned up injectors with a lil boost in power to boot . Thinking about going with the ATS intake and water inj. ............ anybody using that setup ?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:56 PM

I have been really curious about this setup also. I am interested in running the injection system possibly with just water. Just wondering if it has any detrimental effects on the motor in the long run. I have talked to some people that say after running the water injection system before shutting the motor down to run it without any injection to make sure all the water has been vaporized out of the motor so rust wont form ect. That was one of my concerns with running this sytem.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:58 PM

snow boost cooler

I'm trying to get this installed next week. My diesel mechanic has installed a few in twins and with sledpuller 66 set ups and they got great results...I'm still stock turbo and I need all the help I can get. I can fuel 9x9 now but the temps go to 1600. With a few hp and -250 temps I'll be laughing. ks

http://snowperformance.net/proddetail.asp?prod=49002
Old 09-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Banned

I have been looking into the snow performance kit as well. My EGT's easily get over 1200* when pulling, and I have to back off. I even have to turn the quad off, and it still gets hot. The muffler change helped about 50*, but I need more. A better turbo would do it, but then would require a south bend clutch. That is over 2k for all of it. The $479.00 boost cooler seems easier to swallow now.

But,............... with a replacement single, I am pretty sure that the dodge mechanics couldnt tell a sledd 66 from the factory holset by looking at it.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:22 PM

Im thinking about building my own with a sur-flow pump, sounds easy, im sure somebody has done that right? Any help
Old 09-13-2005, 11:30 PM

You can build your own, but the more expensive setups are controlled by the amount of boost your engine produces. You set a minimum boost and this is when it kicks the water/meth in, then the more boost the more it injects. When you build your own, it is either on or off, unless you could figure out a way to electronically control the amount of water/meth that gets injected depending on the amount of boost you are producing. I am strongly considering getting one of these setups, I just haven't seen to many people chime in on how they perform and what if any effects they have.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For towing, or competition, Snow's new stage 3 controller is very nice. It uses boost and EGTs to control the amount of water injected. The water delivery and driveability are much smoother than with the Stage 2. It is also in-cab adjustable.

You could make your own setup, but by the time you engineered out some kind of controller and jets, you're better off buying the Snow system. The stage 2 or stage 3 type controllers would be tough build on your own.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:13 AM

I haven't been running it very long, but here is what I know.

The variable pump and stage controller in Snow's kits are really nice. They allow you to get the amount of spray dialed in for your fuel level. You can easily spray too much and put your fire out. Without the variable pump and stage controller, as in building your own setup, it would be wide open all the time and that probably won't work well for a lot of folks, especially if your going to run straight water for towing.

Methanol is a fuel and requires air to burn. If you are seriously under-turbo'd already (i.e. 9/9 on a stock turbo), water/meth may not work very well for you. Just something to think about. Most seriously under-turbo'd people that try water/meth report a rise in EGTs verses the drop they were expecting.

Some people that use lots of water, for towing and such, and don't run the engine for a few minutes before shutting down report a little gunk build-up on their dipstick as a result. However, Snow recommends running the engine for 5 minutes without the water on to allow any moisture to burn-off. People that do this don't report any problems. Some people just turn the water off and shut down immediately and don't report any problems. I don't know what the deal is with this one, but follow the instructions and it is guaranteed harmless.

Some people run straight windshield washer fluid with great results and Snow says that is fine and works wonderfully even though they sell their own preferred pre-mix that you can buy off their web site. Personally, I don't like the idea of squirting all that soap into my engine. I use mine mainly for racing and mix my own 60/40 using distilled water (no minerals). Works great.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:02 AM

This is terrifically intriguing to me because with just my BDDL on TOW mode, I get excessive EGT's while pulling a good hill. A new turbo is surely the best fix, but that's a lot of $$... It would seem that as long as this Stage 3 controller correctly modulates the amount of water injected, and you have a sufficient supply of water, this is a wonderful fix. Does anyone have feedback on how much water you can actually expect to use? I see the kit comes with what appears to be ~1 gallon container, but at the flow rates listed for even 300hp, it wouldn't last up much of a hill, let alone a 500-mile day of towing I think the placement of the tank has something to do with it's performance, so you are somewhat limited on capacity, no??
Old 09-14-2005, 09:17 AM

I get two trips down the 1/4 mile track on a tank, so no, the tank that is supplied with the kit won't last very long. The kit comes with a bulkhead fitting to tap your windshield washer fluid bottle and use that if you want, but still won't be enough for towing. They sell an 8 gallon tank that you mount in your bed that most people use if it is strictly for towing. You could always mount any tank you prefer anywhere you prefer and just run the line to the pump. There is nothing limiting you to one of their tanks.

Personally, I think if someone has EGT issues and they are still using the stock turbo, it would be better to do a turbo upgrade first. On your truck, the Super B would take care of your EGTs and at $900, it is affordable. Your looking at $500 for the Snow kit, without a tank, and you still have to feed it every time you use it.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:22 AM

Hmmm, good points. I didn't realize the Super B was actually that inexpensive... I thought just about any turbo was ~$1500 for starters. That's what I get for thinking
Old 09-14-2005, 11:25 AM

where can i get the super B for 900?, BD Site sells it for $1300?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:33 AM

BD's prices are at suggested retail. Kyle with Extreme Diesel Performance use to sell them for $900 all day every day. I haven't looked in a while, but any of the sponsors here that carry BD products should be able to sell you one for under $1,000 easy.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:30 PM

I saw in your signature and on your videos that you do not smoke, is the water/meth helping that or is it strickly your twin turbos? PS -- nice truck!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:17 PM

Strictly twins. I don't smoke with or without water/meth.

Quick Reply: Water / Meth Injection