3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upper Carli Upper Ball Joints Worn Out - Two Years Use

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmlcolorado
X2 100%

If i never messed up, i wouldn't need this forum. But in reality, this forum is in the top of my tool box.
Lets all keep in mind that nobody is perfect. He made a mistake by not greasing his parts. Lesson learned.
God knows my 1st dodge diesel was a 3 year learning experience to get me where I'm at today. And I'm here today, with the knowledge i have, in part to this forum. We need to keep it as constructive criticism rather then a bash.
God bless anything north american cuz we're lucky we have what we have. Freedoms earned, not owed.

Cheers
Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by EdmontonCanada
Yes, I know what preventative maintenance is. I do it on all my equipment I use for my business. I have a MANUAL that tells me where and how often.

A truck is a different story. I DON'T have the shop service manual ($$$). I DON'T have a lift in my garage so I can spend a 1/2 hour looking for zerks.

And that's why I take my truck in for PM servicing. I expect THEY know what to grease & maintain at whatever KMS they're supposed to.

Also, I was just told the OEM ball joints are sealed...you can't grease them. And when installing the Carli's there was nowhere in the instructions or package that said to grease every x number of KMS/miles...otherwise, I would have done it.

And just because it has a zerk are you're supposed to grease it? I don't know just how sealed up those Carli ball joints are. How much grease? All the instructions said were to grease them with the included grease before installing them.

On my equipment I have bearings you're not supposed to over-grease or you blow out the seals. On that same equipment I have bearings you grease everyday you run the maching and you grease it until it runs out.

That's why instructions are needed.

I'm glad you're not a fortune-teller. You'd be broke.
Wow, they sure are beating ya up eh...
I posted long time ago about wiping out my 01 24V racing a Duramax and that was a huge mistake. I got beat up like Brock Lesners last fight against Velasquez. We all make mistakes, live and learn bro, no big deal!!!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
I posted long time ago about wiping out my 01 24V racing a Duramax and that was a huge mistake. I got beat up like Brock Lesners last fight against Velasquez. We all make mistakes, live and learn bro, no big deal!!!!!
Aint gonna be sweating racing any duramax with that setup you got now eh?!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by jmlcolorado
Aint gonna be sweating racing any duramax with that setup you got now eh?!
Not at all.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
To be honest I haven't been back on this forum for some time. Agreed, we all learn from mistakes. The people who are particularly challenged are not those that make mistakes, learn, and grow. Those who are challenged are those who name call, those that fail to realize that at one point in time, they were idiots too in someone else's eyes (yes, that was directed at you haultruck).

Nowadays, I do have a lift. I have a lot more experience. I've modified almost every system on my 06 and have done things to it you don't see in a street truck. A few years back I installed a triple turbo system on my 06 and have modified it with the knowledge I've since gained. Now I'm twin-intercooling that same system. Self-proclaimed "Experts" told me it would have no effect. I also made my own custom intake that increased my mileage by 18%, using filters that are 1/3 the size of what guys use on a big single.

So yeah, I was angry that I got a set of Carli Ball Joints without instructions on how to properly maintain them. I wasn't trained as an HD mechanic. But that person that made the initial post was A LONG time ago. I admitted my mistake. I'm sure other noobs have learned from this post when buying serviceable ball joints.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:33 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EdmontonCanada
I'm sure other noobs have learned from this post when buying serviceable ball joints.
Or not so noobs who still make mistakes... and learn.

Anyone remember Big Swole??

Although those mistakes are darned expensive!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Carli's I put on my truck came with instructions that say to lube every oil change. I Bet someone didn't read the material that came with the BJ's. The lower's don't want to take much grease but I give it a pump anyway. The uppers do take a bit more grease.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by verdesardog
The Carli's I put on my truck came with instructions that say to lube every oil change. I Bet someone didn't read the material that came with the BJ's. The lower's don't want to take much grease but I give it a pump anyway. The uppers do take a bit more grease.
One thing that was told to me a while back was to take the weight off the wheel you're greasing. Easy enough to perform with a trolley jack. Then try greasing the lower. It seemed to help with inputting grease into my lowers. I got over 100000 km on my last set of XRFs that were installed. This time went with MOOG or Delco brand as the guy warrantied for as long as I own the truck if he installed them. With my lack of time and interest to change them again it was a win-win for me.

Good luck!