3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upper Carli Upper Ball Joints Worn Out - Two Years Use

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea... but for the price of carlis they should be on top of things!

for that price hell i should get a loner truck while carli ships new ones to me!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And here's my beef:

Their website shows the torture test etc. Makes 'em sound invincible. But no where in the instructions I had did it tell me to grease them past the initial greasing.

Go ahead. Call me an idiot for not know that.

When you take your truck in for service it's: oil oil oil.

No one has said to me, we greased up all the fittings, etc.

So then I think, how long with the OEM ball joints last if I grease them frequenly with a great synthetic grease?

I mean, I never greased those either and they lasted two years like the Cali's. So why didn't the Carli's last longer?

But with a lifetime warranty? The Carli's are hands down worth it.

And my Bilsteins in the rear started leaking oil. Carli is also replacing those free too.

Excellent excellent company.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
It's called preventive maintenance. The OEM ball joints are sealed, not greaseable. No fault should be placed on Carli whatsoever 'cause, like many other chassis parts, you should've greased the ball joints regularly. I forsee some of your steering components and the lower Dynatracs failing soon as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 PM

Yes, I know what preventative maintenance is. I do it on all my equipment I use for my business. I have a MANUAL that tells me where and how often.

A truck is a different story. I DON'T have the shop service manual ($$$). I DON'T have a lift in my garage so I can spend a 1/2 hour looking for zerks.

And that's why I take my truck in for PM servicing. I expect THEY know what to grease & maintain at whatever KMS they're supposed to.

Also, I was just told the OEM ball joints are sealed...you can't grease them. And when installing the Carli's there was nowhere in the instructions or package that said to grease every x number of KMS/miles...otherwise, I would have done it.

And just because it has a zerk are you're supposed to grease it? I don't know just how sealed up those Carli ball joints are. How much grease? All the instructions said were to grease them with the included grease before installing them.

On my equipment I have bearings you're not supposed to over-grease or you blow out the seals. On that same equipment I have bearings you grease everyday you run the maching and you grease it until it runs out.

That's why instructions are needed.

I'm glad you're not a fortune-teller. You'd be broke.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:19 PM

Wow, no further comments.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:53 PM

I just installed Carli ball joints upper & lower in my truck. The instructions that came with said to grease every oil change or 3 months with the synthetic grease they supplied. Did they get greased when they were installed? I put my grease gun to the zerks and pumped until it stopped & wouldn't pump anymore. That's the first time I have ever greased anything that just stopped and wouldn't allow anymore, most just keep pushing excess out. I guess I should call carli & ask if they break-in and start pushing grease out after a while.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Grease them regularly as Carli's instructions CLEARLY noted and you won't end up like this guy.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:43 PM

If anyone at Carli were to read this thread, I don't think they would warranty those ball joints. They are not at all at fault.

I sure do miss my '92 first gen and all those grease fittings it had.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
This is why they call it a LUBE Job when you go to change your oil, you ALSO Lube everything. If you are only changing oil then you are destroying parts....It is just that simple.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 PM

You should probably make sure your 100% right before you come on a widely viewed forum and blast someones product.....
Old 04-04-2011, 05:18 PM

Thumbs down

"But with a lifetime warranty? The Carli's are hands down worth it.
And my Bilsteins in the rear started leaking oil. Carli is also replacing those free too. Excellent excellent company."

And to think, the responsible people pay more for the warranty to be there, even if they won't need it and probably never use it, so who's paying for the "free".
Old 04-05-2011, 01:02 AM

Okay, look. The guy made a mistake and owned up to it. Not at first but he did and realized he was wrong. We're here for education and spawning new ideas. This forum generates so much creativity and enlightenment to those of us with common interest. We learn from others and go forward.... If no one here has ever screwed up they have'nt done anything. I've screwed up plenty and owe all those who respond to my posts for the guidance they so generously provide. No one is perfect. Looking forward to a more positive forum on a daily basis.

cheers
Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
To sum it up: anyone dissatisfied with a Carli or Thuren product should discuss it with them initially.

Both guys are straight up gentlemen who back their product up.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gmanndodgeguy
Okay, look. The guy made a mistake and owned up to it. Not at first but he did and realized he was wrong. We're here for education and spawning new ideas. This forum generates so much creativity and enlightenment to those of us with common interest. We learn from others and go forward.... If no one here has ever screwed up they have'nt done anything. I've screwed up plenty and owe all those who respond to my posts for the guidance they so generously provide. No one is perfect. Looking forward to a more positive forum on a daily basis.

cheers

X2 100%

If i never messed up, i wouldn't need this forum. But in reality, this forum is in the top of my tool box.
Lets all keep in mind that nobody is perfect. He made a mistake by not greasing his parts. Lesson learned.
God knows my 1st dodge diesel was a 3 year learning experience to get me where I'm at today. And I'm here today, with the knowledge i have, in part to this forum. We need to keep it as constructive criticism rather then a bash.

Quick Reply: Upper Carli Upper Ball Joints Worn Out - Two Years Use