3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Carli HD Upper Ball Joints ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carli HD Upper Ball Joints ...

Not available soon I guess:

Tim,

When we are done with the long term testing phase for the HD upper ball joints they will appear on our website. I do not have a whole lot more information than that at this time. They have shown superior results in all test, but a timeframe would be premature at this point.

Jesse Lewis

Sales and Marketing

Carli Suspension, Inc.

jesse@thecarlisuspension.com

www.thecarlisuspension.com

(714) 532-2798

(714) 639-5325

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 12:20 PM
To: info@thecarlisuspension.com
Subject: Upper Ball Joints ...

I need to get a set of your HD upper ball joints you are testing as I have just worn out my second set with only 80K miles on my truck. Can you tell me when I might be able to order a set?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 05-15-2008, 12:36 AM

They should be coming soon. They're going to be expensive, but from what I hear they should last forever.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
They should be coming soon. They're going to be expensive, but from what I hear they should last forever.
I've been hearing that for what, a year now? Real Soon Now!!! Sure they are. If they really were coming soon you'd think they would be able to give an idea of release timeframe, but since a release timeframe would be "premature" it's probably going to be another year or three.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:58 AM

They're just making sure they work as well as promised. It takes time to beat on and put miles on several sets. But I think they have made their final changes and are about ready to go into production.

By the way, I have fondled a set of these and they are sweet!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:23 PM

And I guess they are not making any lower ball joints? That seems really odd, I don't want to replace the tops with these and the bottoms with the crappy oems. The tops don't even carry any weight (it's really a captured kingpin), the bottoms bear all the weight of the axle. I realize the top ones seem to wear out quicker but still, I want a complete set. The main benefit of putting in HD parts is to not have to do it again for a long time.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:12 AM

So Bob4x4 is saying 30 days till production? I might be able to wait that long but if it's really like 60 - 90 days I'm not going to be happy.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:31 PM

Got a call Friday from Jesse at Carli Suspension. They have shipped my pair and I should have them by Tuesday next week (CA to PA). He emailed me some pics and they look good and beafy. They have been punishing them hard and they have taken it:

Our Heavy Duty upper ball joints are finally available. Extensive testing on the ball joints through Carli Suspension's product research and development cycle is now complete. We have logged thousands of nasty dirt miles over the past year to ensure that this product would be everything you have come to expect from us.

The ball joints start out as a chunk of 4130 chro-moly which is machined to our unique two tiered, internal grease port, patent pending design. The ball joint is then heat treated to a specified rockwell (hardness) that we have tested and set to make them able to withstand the meanest of beatings without showing any fatigue. From there the ball joints head to an aero-space lube company where a proprietary dry-lube is applied to our specified thickness. And of course we top them off with an accessible zerk fitting for easy servicing plus we even include a tube of high quality synthetic grease with each pair.
They are not cheap but I hope I only have to replace these this one more time. I'm uploading a comparison pic into my gallery. New units on left, old oem on right. They only had 50 made in this first order and Jesse said they only have a few left to buy right now, so if anyone is interested call them ASAP.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 AM

I tell you what, my OEM went for 170,000 miles, I can accept same if I replace with OEM. It's the lowers that need good quality. I am replacing them as we speak and I've got MOOG.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:12 AM

Comparison pic:

Old 07-20-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Valv
I tell you what, my OEM went for 170,000 miles, I can accept same if I replace with OEM. It's the lowers that need good quality. I am replacing them as we speak and I've got MOOG.
Wow, this is my second set at 85K miles. I'm pretty sure the uppers lasting the long is not normal! I drive on some rough rouds though, I'm sure it varies depending on the punishment they mut endure.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are not ball joints. Show me the ball.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:27 AM

Its more of a captured king pin, but they are commonly referred to as a ball joint.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by hoot
Those are not ball joints. Show me the ball.
Correct, as most already know they are referred to as "ball joints" because traditionaly that is what they were, but Dodge's design uses these captured king pins which allow for vertical movement. Lowers are real ball joints. This has been discussed before in various ball joint threads.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Valv
You are in the tiniest minority, the heavy majority lose the uppers first and if not replaced soon enough will then start destroying the lowers.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:27 PM
D45

I had both the uppers and lowers replaced at 52,000 miles, on both sides.....

Quick Reply: Carli HD Upper Ball Joints ...