3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Understanding Smarty Jr Settings & POD

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SW3 is still more aggressive fueling. With Pod at 75% your just limiting yourself to 75% of the fueling, which on a dyno should limit you, but in real world driving in lower rpms it may not limit you as much as far as responcivness.

From what I have noticed on the mulitiple times I have used PoD it decreases the range of the pedal. So if when PoD = 99 there are "100" positoins the ECM sees the throttle position sensor (TPS) at. When you put the PoD at 75 the TPS still has a full range of motion, but at WOT the ECM is only fueling like the pedal is at 75% of its range.

The other thing I noticed with pod was above 80 (never tried 75, probably similar), the truck didn't feel any weaker, it took a slight bit more pedal to get the same results but very minor. What I did notice when crusing with the PoD at 80 or 90 was the boost and load spikes in cruise control when I hit hills.

With the PoD at 60 or below is where I really noticed a difference in how the truck felt power wise.

Also, I have always felt that the last 25% or so the pedal was useless, it's never felt to me like the truck pulls any harder from 75% throttle to 100% throttle. I can see the difference in the gauges when towing, but not when empty, at least not at the same rate as the first 75%. So I really don't find it surprising that PoD 75 SW3 feels stronger than PoD 99 SW2.

Clear as mud?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update (for what it is)

I sent the following email to Smarty and received the response below...

I recently bought a Smarty Jr for my 05 2500 CTD Ram and am very pleased with it. But I'm hoping you could help me better understand the settings so that I can better tune my truck.

POD
I've heard several different explanations as to what this really does (all numbers I'm outlining below are based on e stock 325 HP truck)

1. The PoD number is a percentage of the power setting applied...ie SW#3 (100 hp) set to 75 would only add an additional 75 HP, not 100 for a total of 400 HP.
2. The PoD number is a percentage of the total power level achieved...ie SW#3 (100 hp) set to 75 would be 425*.75=318 HP. If THIS is the case then what's the difference between the software levels set as follows-SW#1 PoD 100 (365 hp), SW#2 PoD 92 (365 HP), SW#3 PoD 86 (365 HP)
3. The PoD set to 75 re-calibrates the accelerator pedal and the TPS so that at full throttle is not only 75% of the original factory pedal travel range. If so then what's it actually doing.
4. None of the above - if so, please explain.

Also, I thought the instructions said that the PoD is not necessarily linear. If THIS is the case, then I'm totally confused...please explain.

Torque Management
If I understand correctly, the level of torque management reduction from least to most is 1,4,3,2. Do these equate to a percentage of the factory setting? Unfortunately 1-Stock, 2-Mild, 3-Soft (less than #2) or 4-Light (less than #3) isn't very descriptive.
I'm guessing s the term "less" used to describe the amount of torque reduction applied?

Timing
As I can tell the order these go in from least to most...is it 1,3,2,4 What do each of these equate to in degrees? Unfortunately 1-Stock, 2-Smarty-standard, 3-Mild (less than #2), 4-Advanced (more than #2) isn't very descriptive.

I'd also be interested in the best recommended settings for a stock truck. I'm looking to get increased mileage first, with power and driveability second. My truck is an 05 2500 4WD QC LB Auto w/ 4.10's and 265/70/17's"
--------------------------------------------------------------------
MADS Response...
Hello,
answer to your question is not very easy because mathematics cannot be applied to the engine because each one (each engine) has different mechanical characteristics.
The flexibility of the adjustable parameters has been introduced in order to give the possibility to find the right tune for a particular truck.
Smarty JR is the product for stock trucks only. The default parameters has been calculated for a stock truck.
Only in case of problems, the parameters have to be adjusted.
If the engine rattles, the timing should be reduced a little.
If too much smoke is produced, the torque management has to be reduced a little.
The parameter has been designed in order to reduce performance, not to add. The default parameters is the most performance setting.

In our idea the PoD function should work as described in your point #1, but unfortunately the mathematics cannot be applied perfectly.
Furthermore the max power is just one of the parameters and probably not the most important, because the max power is reached in the top RPM values, where the truck is never used.

Stefano Negrini - MADS"

He really only answered my question on POD. I'm going to try and pry some more info out of him, so please feel free to chime in on specifically what I should ask and how I should ask him to get him to expand on the torque and timing issue.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder if the question/answer got lost in the question on PoD. It's very easy to prove it effects total power output. Go out to your truck and put it on PoD 10 and go for a drive. Based on what #1 was you would have stock power plus 10% of the added power.. and that's just not truck.

Based on my experience watching my gauges, to include load, and TPS #3 is correct.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still running the edge juice w/ attitude on my 06 but I'm wanting to leave the edge on stock to have the attitude monitor and put a smarty on. Good idea? Is it hard on the truck doing this?