3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr Pod settings 101(for us slow folks)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:10 PM
MTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty Jr Pod settings 101(for us slow folks)

Ok guys, I have done alot of searching, and I am still confused as to what to set my Jr on. I recently downloaded the revo/pod and I would like to set the other settings to optimize my performance.

What settings do you guys use? I use my truck as a daily driver and with spring coming, I will shortly be pulling different sized trailers (5k-11k) on a daily basis. I currently have sw2 installed and I have noticed less midrange power and slightly higher EGT's than when I had the original sw2 download. I also dont want to hurt the tranny, so what should I set this thing at?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MTC
Ok guys, I have done alot of searching, and I am still confused as to what to set my Jr on. I recently downloaded the revo/pod and I would like to set the other settings to optimize my performance.
As best as I can describe it...

SW1 is timing only
SW2 is timing and duration
SW3 is timing and more duration

All thee SW's have similar, if not the same, timing profiles.. for the given TM setting.

A little explanation of each

TM1 is stock, so SW1 TM1 would essentially be stock
TM2 is default. Its the middle of the timing settings. It seems to be the best compromise between EGT's, MPG's, HP and smoke.
TM3 is the least amount of timing (other than stock).. This is going to give the closest to stock hp, MPG's, smoke, with some reduction of EGT's
TM3 is the most aggressive timing. Which will produce the lowest EGT's, most hp, most smoke and has the potential for the best MPG's (only potential if the smoke doesn't kill them.. good for cruising.. I find beneficial if I will be driving more than 1900 rpms).

Another way to look at it
TM1: Stock
TM2: Beta 4
TM3: Beta 3
TM4: Original SW

Torque Management.

In order to make the drivetrain last under all possible situations Dodge/Cummins detunes the engine below a certain speed. I know that AAM doesn't want more than 480ish ft/lbs of tq being produced below a certain speed (as a safety catch all).. Torque Management allows the engine to make more TQ at low speed.

TQ1: Stock
TQ2: Default/Mild
TQ3: Milder
TQ4: Mildest

None of the settings are very extreme, but are very noticeable even at part throttle.

PoD.. PoD just reduces the total available power. So looking at SW3, I dynoed 408hp on SW 3 (uncorr).. PoD of 50 would mean that the truck was making roughly 204hp (very rough guess.. but you get the idea)

So settings... If your looking for the best hwy mileage I would say that SW3, TM4, TQ4 (whatever you want as its not really aparent at HWY speeds), PoD 75 would give you the best MPG's.. I have seen (only on 2 tanks) about a 1 mpg increase over the same 500+ miles and similar load/weather on this setting vs the Beta 4 SW1.

PoD has the potential to increase mpg's around town because it eliminates power spikes, created by both your right foot, cruise control, and quick power changes. If you drive very conservatively before PoD you won't see as much of a change as some one who drives WOT everywhere they go.. PoD has minimal effect on constant cruising as it still takes x hp to do 70mph.. But it will help in hilly areas where the cruise is sometimes late to add fuel.

So setting to run... When Revo came out I made these ideal settings for myself.

Winter: SW1, TM3, TQ4.. I don't tow much in winter so EGT's aren't an issue
and I want the least amount of smoke for soot loading the oil.. This setting worked great for me all winter.. TQ4 will also provide the best winter traction, other than stock.. but I prefer the drivability of some TQ management.

Summer: SW1, TM3, TQ2.. Dry roads.. I may want more off the line power??

Towing: SW1, TM2, TQ4.. Best smok/EGT compromise and lower TQ for driveline protection.

After running revo for a while I am liking TQ4 and will probably stay there even for summer. I am now going back and forth between TM3 and TM2 to see if there is a difference in MPG's.. With the PoD at 40 I don't get much smoke of TM2.

PoD.. Lately I have been running SW1, TM3, TQ4, PoD 40 around town... I have not noticed a loss in power, for what I need.. And MPG's are on the rise.. thou its getting warmer too....

Hope that helps..

Originally Posted by MTC
What settings do you guys use? I use my truck as a daily driver and with spring coming, I will shortly be pulling different sized trailers (5k-11k) on a daily basis. I currently have sw2 installed and I have noticed less midrange power and slightly higher EGT's than when I had the original sw2 download. I also dont want to hurt the tranny, so what should I set this thing at?
That is because on the original SW, Beta2,3,and 4 SW2 was essentially SW3. The program was different but on the dyno they were identical.. This was more power than was supposed to be there on the "Tow" setting.. SW2 was detuned about 25-30hp for the the release of Revo.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
MTC

ah64id,

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was looking for!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 PM

Great write up!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the write up. Going to print this out and keep it in the box. I've tried Pod and can't say I've really seen any mpgs gains as most of my driving is hwy. Also I like to just set and just drive it.
I think TM2 is more aggressive then TM4 at least on my truck. And also TQM when towing will be stock as all other TQM settings just don't work well with my truck pulling 5k and up. Any other TQM then stock makes it feel like I've got a rubber drive train between shifts.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 PM

ah64id, I would like to second great write up! You seem very experienced on the jr pod and I would like to ask if you notice TQ 3 and TQ 4 to have less torque management than TQ2. I realize you have a stick shift and that might make a difference but on my truck in all three software levels TQ3 and 4 have a much touchier throttle and a much stronger bottom end than TQ2, and I do not mean just a slight difference, a difference that makes the truck a handfull to drive in the snow if the TQ is on 3 or 4. Thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 PM

Very well written. I just wish I could drive my truck more to do the amount of testing that you have done. My commute currently is 5 miles, so I am driving the commuter truck. But I will print this one out and try these settings. Thank you again ah64id.

Chris
Old 03-03-2009, 05:16 AM

No Problem guys.. glad I could help..

Originally Posted by 07PatriotBlue
ah64id, I would like to second great write up! You seem very experienced on the jr pod and I would like to ask if you notice TQ 3 and TQ 4 to have less torque management than TQ2. I realize you have a stick shift and that might make a difference but on my truck in all three software levels TQ3 and 4 have a much touchier throttle and a much stronger bottom end than TQ2, and I do not mean just a slight difference, a difference that makes the truck a handfull to drive in the snow if the TQ is on 3 or 4. Thanks
I do notice that it is reduced more in 3 and 4 than 2, and that could be from the stick shift factor.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 AM

yeah i should get off my butt and start doing some testing too. Especially since it seems that i am having to drive 300 miles for work like twice a week. I just need to remember to set the smarty before i leave lol
Old 03-03-2009, 06:46 PM
MTC

I downloaded your above "summer" sequence (sw1, tm3, tq2) and that brought back all the midrange power that I was missing and seems to be much better off the line. Thanks again for the write-up...very helpful.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 PM

Be careful with the tq settings, tq4 has so much bottom end power I barely press the pedal for normal driving. We have another thread going on about the tq setting possibly being backwards (1 being weakest, 4 being the most powerful) but bob has not chimed in.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by speakle
Be careful with the tq settings, tq4 has so much bottom end power I barely press the pedal for normal driving. We have another thread going on about the tq setting possibly being backwards (1 being weakest, 4 being the most powerful) but bob has not chimed in.
I agree on that one. I accidentally ran my last tankful on SW2 Tm2 TQ4 POD 40 and if I would leave it on 99 it would dang near break loose the tires coming out of a stoplight. I really meant to run it at TM4 Tq2 instead. Only got about 15.5 mpg on that tank.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by speakle
Originally Posted by woodrep
I agree on that one. I accidentally ran my last tankful on SW2 Tm2 TQ4 POD 40 and if I would leave it on 99 it would dang near break loose the tires coming out of a stoplight. I really meant to run it at TM4 Tq2 instead. Only got about 15.5 mpg on that tank.
Thats very weird... I noticed a huge decrease in TQ in 4....

now I want to go back to TQ2 just to re verify... But I wonder if its a auto vs. manual thing?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ah64id
Thats very weird... I noticed a huge decrease in TQ in 4....

now I want to go back to TQ2 just to re verify... But I wonder if its a auto vs. manual thing?
Can you guys verify which software version you are running? Mine is 5.08A and for me 3 is less responsive than 2. I haven't had a chance to try 4 yet. Just wondering if it's backwards in one rev, but not another?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:07 AM

I was one of the instigators in the strong Tq4 theory. I will check my software tonight. I do know that I download POD the first day it was available.

Quick Reply: Smarty Jr Pod settings 101(for us slow folks)