3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Twins-low EGT's, single-high EGT's

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twins-low EGT's, single-high EGT's

Why do twins make lower EGT's than singles?
Thanx.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

Because you are pushing more air and burning more fuel. Also some guys will make let say 55 psi of boost with twins and I can make 45 to 50 with my 66, but this is can be tricky because he is shoving a barrel of air through while I am shoving a milk jug.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:41 PM

So even if the boost was the same, for a single vs a twin, there is more actual air in the cylinder with the twins? And more ari means cooler EGT's?
Is that right?
Thanx.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:43 PM

you got'er Pontiac. It is a neat and complicated thing, but that is the basics of it

Kevin
Old 11-17-2006, 09:45 PM

Thanx guys, I needed that.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:14 PM

Because you are pushing more air and burning more fuel. Also some guys will make let say 55 psi of boost with twins and I can make 45 to 50 with my 66, but this is can be tricky because he is shoving a barrel of air through while I am shoving a milk jug
Thats actually not why but you have the right idea going.

Twin turbo's often produce lower egt's do to the fact that you are working within the two turbo's efficiency ranges. Single Turbo's typically are working harder with higher shaft speeds to produce the same amount of boost. -----Which will result in higher charge air temperatures resulting in a less efficient combustion event.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
You've got two guys doing the work of one... Less broke off = less sweat...
Old 11-18-2006, 12:05 AM

It kind of seems like 50lbs of boost is 50lbs of boost, no matter how you get it. But is it the single turbo is making twice as much heat, with one spinning shaft at a certain boost than twins would with two shafts making that same amount of total boost? Does the one shaft between impellers (right term?) get so hot, it heats up the the metal on the intake impeller, which heats up the air?
Thanx.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:33 AM

No, its compressing air at a higher rate of speed which increases air temp to an extreme.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:06 AM

Heat of Compression

A centrifical compressor that is operating inside it's ideal operating range, does so without adding more energy to the air then what the air already has in it. (in theory of course, friction is always at play.) The further outside this range the unit is run, the more friction there is between the impeller and the air. Simply put, 50 psi boost at 125 degrees f from twins versus 50 psi boost at 200 degrees f from a single running at the edge of it's operating range, the first has a larger mass due to lower temperature. Thus when it comes to the EGT end of it think of it as trying to heat 5lbs of air with 2cc's of fuel verses heating 2lbs of air with 2cc's of fuel. (assuming you've made no changes in Fuel flow) The temperature won't climb as high, but you will get a larger pressure increase in the cylinder's. Another option is to install a bigger/more efficient intercooler to drop the temperature from your fatshaft 62 or what have you, but you would also see a subsiquent drop in the boost pressure because you will then be thermally compressing the discharge flow of the turbo, thus lowering the backpressure in it, but it would help to increase the mass flow and lower the egt's. My question awhile ago was why they don't intercool between and after the twins, but I guess fitting a 2nd intercooler would be no small task.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by qmcdt
A centrifical compressor that is operating inside it's ideal operating range, does so without adding more energy to the air then what the air already has in it. (in theory of course, friction is always at play.) The further outside this range the unit is run, the more friction there is between the impeller and the air. Simply put, 50 psi boost at 125 degrees f from twins versus 50 psi boost at 200 degrees f from a single running at the edge of it's operating range, the first has a larger mass due to lower temperature. Thus when it comes to the EGT end of it think of it as trying to heat 5lbs of air with 2cc's of fuel verses heating 2lbs of air with 2cc's of fuel. (assuming you've made no changes in Fuel flow) The temperature won't climb as high, but you will get a larger pressure increase in the cylinder's. Another option is to install a bigger/more efficient intercooler to drop the temperature from your fatshaft 62 or what have you, but you would also see a subsiquent drop in the boost pressure because you will then be thermally compressing the discharge flow of the turbo, thus lowering the backpressure in it, but it would help to increase the mass flow and lower the egt's. My question awhile ago was why they don't intercool between and after the twins, but I guess fitting a 2nd intercooler would be no small task.
That's good.
Thanx.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:42 PM

r u sure?

I've got more. hehehe
Old 11-19-2006, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by qmcdt
Can we get an interpreter here?….someone that speaks English? That's one of the better explanations I've heard in a long time. You rock.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:19 PM

Man, wish I could get high egt's with my Silver Bullet
Old 11-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Banned

Throw a 12000lbs 5th wheel on your truck in stop and go traffic That will bring your EGTs up.

CRIS