Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Aurora twins vs BD twins vs PDR twins

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aurora twins vs BD twins vs PDR twins

I have an 02 CTD with a 6 speed, Banks, 4 " straight, and 3.55 gears. Id like my truck to make 450-500 usable rwhp. By usable I mean for occasional 10-12k towing. What is the difference between Aurora, BD, and PDR. And why is the BD set up so much less expensive than the other two? Any advise or opinions would be helpful. Thanks

Last edited by Stock 02; 09-21-2006 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Add signature
Old 09-21-2006, 05:24 AM

I am looking for the same thing and I have almost the same truck. I want to know too.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Look at this thread...

Look here for some info.
Best twins for Towing Apps?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Banned

Haven't heard anything good about Aurora twins. BD is pretty solid stuff and PDR is pretty solid stuff too.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:42 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our kit is a direct bolt on kit. We also are the only ones able to offer a FACTORY Borg Warner 1 year warranty. This isnt an in house warranty. You can get parts from any Borg Warner distributor. Now down to the performance. This isnt a well lets try this one and that one and see how they do setup. We have mapped out what these engines require for air running in the HP range where we have designed them to work. This provides excellent throttle response with enough air to prevent any egt issues. We can tow 10000 at 75mph with egts under 1000deg. Very hard pressed to see above 1200deg. Any questions dont hesitate to call.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:43 AM
The Guru

For towing and a HO, go the BD route or the PDR towing twins. Both are great. On a stick truck you have no auto heat exchanger. I move my heat exchanger to the front of the truck. It just took abit of 1/2in heater hose and a couple fittings. I didn't like the way the BD twins layed down at the higher rpm's but mine more for HP (drag racing). For a 500 to 550 rwhp truck (most HO trucks) BD twins are great, but you guys are running sticks and have that low first gear anyways. Mine spools almost as fast as a stocker did. After 10psi, you forget about the laggy spool-up. I don't know how well that the BD twins would clean-up on a big set of injectors. I ran the BD155, clean, almost no smoke, with no egt's issues on 5X5 running the comp box. Those injectors just don't wake the truck up like the mach 6'ers do.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:09 PM
DTR Advertiser

There seems to be a bit of a misconception about what our twins are able to handle as far as higher horsepower. With adjusting the wastegate we have produced over 70psi without overspinning the chargers. Bully Dog ran our twins at over 800hp when they were on Pinks. They are primarily designed for the towing, but with adjusting the wastegate they are capable of supporting 650hp+ The reason we wastegate them at 50psi is to prevent head gasket issues. The big restriction in the system is what the intercooler can efficiently process. Our kit is basically maximizing what that stock intercooler can process. Pressure creates heat. If you are running a pressure that is higher than what the intercooler can process, you really arent accomplishing much. If you are running a bigger intercooler, it will be able to process more air created by the higher pressure.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
.... With adjusting the wastegate we have produced over 70psi without overspinning the chargers.....
Is that adjustment by adding the 'shims', or playing with the adjustable wastegate arm ... or ?

Could you please explain?

I presently get 65 psi boost on my BD's with no over spinning (guesstimate based on egt's)... but don't see how you could adjust for more??

RJ
Old 09-21-2006, 05:23 PM
DTR Advertiser

It would depend on which wastegate actuator you had. The origional ones had a non adjustable actuator, so we shimmed them to create more boost. The later style you can just lenthen the rod. This will delay the opening. You have to make sure that your head is setup for that much pressure.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:29 PM
The Guru

OK Pat, how come you guys at BD talked me out of buying your twins? I was one of the first guys at your door. You told me that I could only run 550rwhp and if I wanted more than I need NOS. My combo ran 677rwhp at Piers dyno, no drugs running stuff you guys said that would never work. You top BD HP truck still ran Enterprises HX-40/BHT3B combo. Yes they will work and work well on lower HP but they are too hot your the bigger HP trucks. How much drugs was needed to run 800rwhp with your twins? I doubt that it was just running #2, running your twins.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:29 PM

Yep they ran a huge shot of nitrous on that truck.I dont think they would cool 700 hp.Bd claims a new set will cool 1000 hp at the wheels.Bold statement considering only one truck in the world makes 1000 at the wheels using boost to cool only.And uses a A5000 as a SECONDARY and a pro52 as a primary.They claim a s400 as a primary in the new set with the same 300 on top,I dont know if that would cool 1000 using the reliable amounts of boost they use already.Most trucks running over 800 use like 90 plus with reasonable drive pressure.I'll believe it when I see it.But for towing its probably the best setup and you cant argue with that,but for high hp nope
Old 09-21-2006, 11:03 PM

Question

Originally Posted by kelownadiesel
Yep they ran a huge shot of nitrous on that truck.I dont think they would cool 700 hp.Bd claims a new set will cool 1000 hp at the wheels.Bold statement considering only one truck in the world makes 1000 at the wheels using boost to cool only.And uses a A5000 as a SECONDARY and a pro52 as a primary.They claim a s400 as a primary in the new set with the same 300 on top,I dont know if that would cool 1000 using the reliable amounts of boost they use already.Most trucks running over 800 use like 90 plus with reasonable drive pressure.I'll believe it when I see it.But for towing its probably the best setup and you cant argue with that,but for high hp nope
where is this claim of cooling 1k rwhp I havent seen it, but I want to.

Jake
Old 09-21-2006, 11:23 PM

check their site,and there is a thread on cumminsforum thats been going for a while .Ask tigerrag I think he started the thread over there.Yes I found it hard to believe too
Old 09-22-2006, 01:25 AM

EDIT: THIS IS NOT AN AD PLEASE DO NOT DELETE

taken from BD's Web site:
"Super B Special Twin Looking for XXXXtreme power? This system will feature the new S400 series turbo, compounded with the S300 Super B. It will make reaching 1000 Hp possible with the right engine and fueling modifications. It’s the last word in turbo performance! Available in Sept 06."

Here it is read it yourself at the bottom of the page

http://www.bd-power.com/ram/product....0Turbos&tt=ram

Jake

EDIT: I have nothing against BD They are Diesel Performance Pioneers and I respect that but im not so sure I believe that these turbos will reach 1k rwhp w/o a healthy dose of N20...JMO
Old 09-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Banned

Well after seeing the BD twins in action I'm convinced that BD knows exactly what they are doing and I have faith that they will hit the 1000hp mark.

Quick Reply: Aurora twins vs BD twins vs PDR twins