3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trying to piece together an exhaust system...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to piece together an exhaust system...

I have been trying to figure out a exhaust system for my truck. I need to get rid of the factory drone, and I don't want anything really loud (unless WOT). The only ones I have heard and liked are done with two mufflers. They tend to have a very low (quiet) grumble, but they get a little more sound when WOT and I like that.

I saw something in the summit catalog and had an idea. I am wondering if I could have a new 4" down tube made and then attach a 4" dynomax "ultra Flo Bullet" (summit #WLK-24217) as close to the turbo as possible and then go all the way to the back to the tail pipe and put on another 4" dynomax (same muffler) and slide a 5" or 6" SS tip over it? I would think that the dyno at the very end would be the one to really keep the sound down, but maybe I am wrong.

The goal is to keep the price down, get better flow, and maybe a little better sound (but not loud at normal driving). I think if I went this route, it would cost about $45.00 each for the mufflers shipped, SS tip $????, and then a piece of 4" tube to make the new down tube... (maybe less than $200.00??)...

I am trying to do this cheap, but don't want to do something that is shotty..

So has anyone tried this kind of set up?? Have any experience with these mufflers???

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:50 AM

I just got tired of the straight pipe, no drone but it was just plain loud when towing the fiver, it was fun for the last year but it had to go. The 51" Nelson is nice and quiet in the cab, a bit of rumble outside, good turbo whistle and EGT's haven't changed from the straight pipe.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:38 AM

I made my own exhaust w/ a 4" Banks downpipe and Magnaflow Muffler and some 4" pipe. Sounds pretty good but not nearly as loud as straight pipe....
Old 11-15-2005, 12:12 PM

We can help you with a 4" DP with other parts or a complete 4" system in aluminized steel. To address the drone issue I would suggest an Exhaust Guide mounted right on the DP under the passengers feet. You can see some photos of the Exhaust Guides on this page http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/exhaust as well as complete exhaust kits. Individual parts are also in stock and available.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First the TAG and now the Exhaust Guide?? What will they think of next??

No offense to you Car_nut, but I was never a big believer in the TAG and the Exhaust Guide seems like it would probably restrict air flow more than it would help it...especially over time as soot begins to build up on the little grid thingy.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
First the TAG and now the Exhaust Guide?? What will they think of next??

No offense to you Car_nut, but I was never a big believer in the TAG and the Exhaust Guide seems like it would probably restrict air flow more than it would help it...especially over time as soot begins to build up on the little grid thingy.

The Exhaust Guide does soot up to a point, just like the inside of the pipe does, but no more than that. We use it mainly to resolve drone issues for the Dodge and Duramax trucks. When placed on the DP under the passengers feet, it does a pretty good job of reducing drone and we generally see 50-75F drop in EGTs. Smooth directed exhaust gases flow easier than turbulnet flows, just like any other fluid or gas traveling in a pipe.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a Dynomax race muffler. Not the bullet though... I had bullets on my Chevelle (509") and it was like open headers. My Dynomax is one step above the bullet.... don't have the number handy.... It's 4" in/out case length is 16 or 20inches and body is like 6" wide. Sounds pretty good inside the cab, pretty sure it sounds awesome outside... gets alot of looks when I nail her.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:48 PM

Trik396, Does the Aeroturbine fit right in place of the stock cat?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure it can... not that I'd break the law or anything like that ...
Old 11-16-2005, 08:10 AM
Banned

Asher,

Lots of trial and error on this issue has been done in the past, what I have foudn to be the best overall process is to get a full system from someone like us that sells MBRP as their muffler are packed with a ceramic blanket and stainless steel wool, and add a second 30 inch MBRP muffler as far forward as possible in the straight sections of the pipes. Quiet, works the first time and no second install hassels and or expenses. It'll cost you a little more up front but when you're done you're done and it'll be what you're after too!

Mark @ DPPI