3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Truck is now "Smartified"

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck is now "Smartified"

I ordered my Smarty from Bob on Monday and it was on my porch on Wednesday. I think those brown trucks may have a big turbo on them. Thanks again Bob.

I received it with the 4.08 version of SW. The power is very smooth and seems to come on strong at the middle to high RPMs (2200 - 2600).

I have the Quad Race box so my current testing process is with the even number settings although I will try #3 at some point because I have no timing rattle even with a Rokk Tech sensor. My feeling is that the early Cali trucks were detuned big time, especially in the timing department. I've been in contact with Quad, and he says it's no issue to remove the timing from the Race box and can turn it around in a couple of days. I may go that route once I figure out where the best mileage can be had.

I happen to have the 2003 California version (235 hp) so my expectations of power increases are high when products like Quad Race and the Smarty are added. I first tried Smarty level two and it felt similar to just the Quad on 60hp. I then turned on the Quad at 60 and it added a little SOP power, but not like I expected. I then upped the Smarty to level four. I got a little more, but still seemed to be lacking some. I drove on this setting for the day with Quad on 60hp (for the timing) and it was ok. I think it still lacked a little when trying to step on it to get around traffic, but it was fine. I had one attempt on merging into freeway traffic, Smarty on four and kicked up the Quad to 100hp. That seemed to be a good combination of settings for speed and power.

This morning I upped the Smarty to level six, and started my commute to work. At first I left the Quad box off to get a feel for the performance of just the Smarty. Now it has power. Wow. The truck on this setting just flat gets it. Half way through my commute, I of course had to turn on the Quad to get the timing. Truck runs AWESOME! Got on the freeway and set the cruise at 65. Couldn't even tell the truck was running unless you looked at the gauges.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:06 AM
tcr

My best dynos were w/ the quad at 100 and the smarty on #7 and #9. The 140hp setting did less, in most runs. I'm not sure how diff our truck are when they were stock, but I've had no timing rattle yet using the odd settings on my Smarty AND the quad w/ timing. Good luck, it's a great stack IMO, just be careful w/ stock turbo/tranny.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, watch that tranny. Level 5 i think is safe for your truck if you aren't hard on it constantly. IMO sw5 is the jack of all trades for a stock truck, not so touchy down low but a whole nother beast on the top end.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:47 AM

I have been wondering myself about how far I can go with the Smarty levels given that I have a stock tranny. I have been running #3 stacked with the XZT module. Any comments?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For me level 5 is the sweet spot. Seems to do everything well, power, economy, low EGTs, etc....

MikeyB
Old 07-27-2007, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I never really use the 140 hp setting of the Quad because it never feels any better than the 100hp setting. I'm glad to see that there is some dyno numbers to support that. I've asked Quad in the forums why there is little or no difference in the settings but never got an answer.

I am good to my tranny. I don't do any real hot-rodding and don't ever try to spin or boil the tires. I want to keep my new 285s as long as I can. At this point, I think I will be using level two with the Quad on 60 for towing.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by HarleyHauler
I have been wondering myself about how far I can go with the Smarty levels given that I have a stock tranny. I have been running #3 stacked with the XZT module. Any comments?
I've only had it for a couple of days, but your likely safe with level 5 with the XZT as long as you watch your gages and re-program to a lower setting for towing.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2003Ram
I've only had it for a couple of days, but your likely safe with level 5 with the XZT as long as you watch your gages and re-program to a lower setting for towing.
Thanks for the insight. I reprogrammed tonight after getting it back from the dealer and put it to #5. I am anxious to see what it feels like after running on #3 for so long.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the insight. I reprogrammed tonight after getting it back from the dealer and put it to #5. I am anxious to see what it feels like after running on #3 for so long.
Just be careful. like I said earlier, I'm on the level 6 (130 hp) and it feels twice as strong as stock. I'll probably stay on this setting for the weekend then drop to #3 and test the timing setting(s).
Old 07-28-2007, 08:09 AM
tcr

I think your really going to be able to hurt your tranny if you get a wild hair w/ this combo, even only on #3, any pressure added to the Smarty makes alot more power. I would just be real careful w/ a stock tranny. You will never know it's going out, then one day it starts slipping and that's it. I've lost both a TC and forward clutches/bands at different times. I'm on my third transmission now at 99000 miles, it's not been alot of fun. Well, yes it has been, but it's been expensive
Old 07-28-2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by tcr
I think your really going to be able to hurt your tranny if you get a wild hair w/ this combo, even only on #3, any pressure added to the Smarty makes alot more power. I would just be real careful w/ a stock tranny. You will never know it's going out, then one day it starts slipping and that's it. I've lost both a TC and forward clutches/bands at different times. I'm on my third transmission now at 99000 miles, it's not been alot of fun. Well, yes it has been, but it's been expensive
I took it out today with Smarty at #5 but took it easy. Seems to definitely have more punch to it, but I am not banging it hard. I get uncomfortable with having it set that way knowing I may end up with a damaged trans once I get the urge to punch it. I sense the need to A) drive conservatively, B) reset to #3 and C) save for a new tranny!
Old 07-28-2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2003Ram
I ordered my Smarty from Bob on Monday and it was on my porch on Wednesday. I think those brown trucks may have a big turbo on them. Thanks again Bob.

I received it with the 4.08 version of SW. The power is very smooth and seems to come on strong at the middle to high RPMs (2200 - 2600).

I have the Quad Race box so my current testing process is with the even number settings although I will try #3 at some point because I have no timing rattle even with a Rokk Tech sensor. My feeling is that the early Cali trucks were detuned big time, especially in the timing department. I've been in contact with Quad, and he says it's no issue to remove the timing from the Race box and can turn it around in a couple of days. I may go that route once I figure out where the best mileage can be had.

I happen to have the 2003 California version (235 hp) so my expectations of power increases are high when products like Quad Race and the Smarty are added. I first tried Smarty level two and it felt similar to just the Quad on 60hp. I then turned on the Quad at 60 and it added a little SOP power, but not like I expected. I then upped the Smarty to level four. I got a little more, but still seemed to be lacking some. I drove on this setting for the day with Quad on 60hp (for the timing) and it was ok. I think it still lacked a little when trying to step on it to get around traffic, but it was fine. I had one attempt on merging into freeway traffic, Smarty on four and kicked up the Quad to 100hp. That seemed to be a good combination of settings for speed and power.

This morning I upped the Smarty to level six, and started my commute to work. At first I left the Quad box off to get a feel for the performance of just the Smarty. Now it has power. Wow. The truck on this setting just flat gets it. Half way through my commute, I of course had to turn on the Quad to get the timing. Truck runs AWESOME! Got on the freeway and set the cruise at 65. Couldn't even tell the truck was running unless you looked at the gauges.

Nice to see some good results from a fellow Cali Edition owner.
I'm placing a Smarty order next week. I'm looking forward to the power that I've only been able to read about. At this point my 06 Chevy 2500 gasser utility bed (loaded down) will smoke my dodge (unloaded) on a flat surface. I can't wait to at least get that "Kill".