3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Time to bump to 5" Magnaflow over Stock w/ MBRP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:47 AM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maynard3, I did use the elbow off an 05. You do know what I'm talking about dont you? The core of the muffler is only 24" long, the muffler is 30.5" long and a true 5" inlet/ outlet but your core tapers down to 4" or so. TRUST ME or call magnaflow, don't waste your time ripping your exhaust apart to look. Magnaflow offered me a full refund because of this fact. They also stated that they are not even capable of producing a muffler w/ a 5" core. My system is the part# 15989, all magnaflow 5" systems use the same Muffler(direct from Magnaflow). I could PM you some crazy emails w/ Magnaflow on this subject if you would like.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:37 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tcr
all magnaflow 5" systems use the same Muffler(direct from Magnaflow). I could PM you some crazy emails w/ Magnaflow on this subject if you would like.
What date did you purchase your system ?

Greg
Old 01-03-2007, 07:38 AM
tcr

I would say 3 months ago maybe.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:47 AM

If you are stuck on a pretty SS exhaust system MBRP has a real 5". I'm under my truck lots and I don't lose sleep over my galvanized Nelson. I took a Large Nelson 5" muffler and cut off the baffles and non perforated section and rewelded it back together. It's about 28" long and even with a stack it is quiet and no drone and no noise just a nice rumble. Of course this was with twins but I will be running the same exhaust with a Super B next week and I don't expect it to be much louder. Big Rig mufflers are tested with big power motors to be quiet at higher frequencies that travel and annoy people. IF you want they now make these mufflers in SS. ks
Old 01-03-2007, 10:00 AM

I put a 5" flopro under my '03 S.O. truck and it was definitely a little louder, but still quieter than my buddy's tundra with duals. I put the AEM intake on at the same time, so they balanced out and you could hear the turbo better then. Now under a heavy load, it was LOUD.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Here is an FYI hope it helps

I got my S/S 5" from RPM for $469.00 it did have some drone until I moved the 6" tip out past the corner of the bumper now it's gone the only rumble I have is a vibration IMO that is being picked up from the hanger on the tranny that is in the above photos being in a bind and I haven't had the time to get back under her and bend a little.

The hangers aren't as beefy as MBRP but s/s is about 10 times the tensile strength of mild steel so shouldn't be an issue.

I've heard some bad customer service about RPM but my experience was awesome! In fact the clamps where missing from box which was damaged in shipping and they got me another set in about 2 days no questions.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Master Diver
Here is an FYI hope it helps

I got my S/S 5" from RPM for $469.00 it did have some drone until I moved the 6" tip out past the corner of the bumper now it's gone the only rumble I have is a vibration IMO that is being picked up from the hanger on the tranny that is in the above photos being in a bind and I haven't had the time to get back under her and bend a little.

The hangers aren't as beefy as MBRP but s/s is about 10 times the tensile strength of mild steel so shouldn't be an issue.

I've heard some bad customer service about RPM but my experience was awesome! In fact the clamps where missing from box which was damaged in shipping and they got me another set in about 2 days no questions.
WOW, that looks like exactly what I want. I am not stuck on a SS system, but would like to stick with something similar to stock, which that exactly is (T409). What's the "Free tip" that they send? Says it's a 5" in/out tip, so basically just a slip on cover over the tail pipe? Do you know how the sound compares to other systems, or maybe over a typical aftermarket 4"?

Also, was the muffler a louver style or perforated tube design? It looks like there's only about 12" or less of 4" section, which is nice.

Thanks again everyone!