3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Time to bump to 5" Magnaflow over Stock w/ MBRP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to bump to 5" Magnaflow over Stock w/ MBRP?

Well, my new II Silver 62 turbo (their new 62/14 version of the silver bullet....almost the same as the SPS, just with a slightly different turbine wheel) and ATS manifold are on the way. My truck currently has the stock exhaust w/ a cat-delete pipe and MBRP replacement muffler (the one from DPPI). I am very pleased with the sound tone and level, and there is virtually no drone. I'd like to keep things that way, but while I'm swapping the turbo, I figure it might be worth considering the Magnaflow 5" turbo back system. I am shooting for 500HP/1000 FT/LBS to the tire and am thinking the 5" system may help a little with power and EGTs. Reason I am focusing on Magnaflow is that it seems their 5" system might be the quietest available, at least from what I am reading. Plus, it's one of the few true 5" turbo back systems.

Anyway, what is everyone's opinion on making the swap, and does anyone have any opinions on the Magnaflow 5" system? I saw a post from a guy w/ the 5" Magnaflow that claims the muffler core necks down to below 4"....hopefully this isn't the case.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:11 PM

Not sure about the neckdown in the muffler, but, the MagnaFlow on my truck drones fairly bad at 70+ mph on the freeway. Bad enough that the change rattles in my holder in the console. But, it does sound really good
Old 01-02-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by drillpipe
Not sure about the neckdown in the muffler, but, the MagnaFlow on my truck drones fairly bad at 70+ mph on the freeway. Bad enough that the change rattles in my holder in the console. But, it does sound really good
That's odd...I am finding a lot of mixed opinions. Some guys claim the magnaflow 5" is quieter than expected, others say it's way too loud. What RPM does your auto turn at 70 on the highway?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:48 PM

My 5" Magnaflow turbo-back system is very quiet on the highway, no drone at all. I really like the way it sounds. I had previously run the MBRP 4" cat back with delete pipe and the Magnaflow isn't much louder than the previous kit. It sounds great and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a 5" exhaust.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:49 PM

Forgot to say that at 70MPH, my truck is right at 1900-2000 RPM's and I don't hear a lot from the exhaust, more from the tires and road.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the Magnaflow #15989 5" stainless steel system....it's great. I, too, wonder why the guy you're talking about said it necks down to 4"......it doesn't on mine.....even spied the muffler when new outta the box.

The only time I get a little drone (if you can even call it that) is when I have the Juice w/Attitude on #4 or #5 on a slight incline.....the added timing changes the exhaust note a little. The Magnaflow system is not obnoxious and I think the drone lots complain about is either their particular hearing levels and/or the way the exhaust tip is routed at the end. Romp on it hard and it gets a little loud......just right in my book.

If I don't take the plunge on an '07.5 350/650 w/6 speed auto, I'll be getting an SPS62/12 for ol' Casper. At 47k miles, it would make a great truck for someone.

Greg

Pic at downpipe.

Pic at muffler---5" stainless steel bandclamps.

5">>>6"x15" Flo-Pro tip.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by LooseBoltsRob
That's odd...I am finding a lot of mixed opinions. Some guys claim the magnaflow 5" is quieter than expected, others say it's way too loud. What RPM does your auto turn at 70 on the highway?
1950-2000 RPM's @ 70. I guess I should have clarified that most of the drone happens when going up hills with the cruise set @ 70 or so. Just around town commuting, its not bad at all. It does seem a little too loud when towing on long trips, the drone is very noticeable then. All in all though, I would buy it again.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies! My exhaust currently drones a tad under load, and is loudest at lower RPM, like 1600-2000 RPM. On the highway with my stock 31" tires and the NV5600, I am turning 2100 RPM at 70, which silences my current exhaust.

I think I'll take the plunge for the Magnaflow, even though I have spent WAYY too much money on the truck in the past week.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:31 PM
tcr

I am the guy that says the muffler core tapers down to 3 7/8". IT DOES, BELIEVE ME! I have gone round and round w/ Magnaflow on their POS 5" system because my egts actually didn't change at all going from a 4" magnaflow system to a 5" Magnaflow system(they did go down when I strait piped in 5" though, but OMG was that loud). Magnaflow's response was that their 5" system is designed for STOCK or slightly modified(air intake) trucks, which I think is total BS! I have verified w/ Magnaflow that they don't even make a muffler w/ a 5" core, they will admit to it being a 4" core, but I have measured mine w/ calipers and it is barely 3 7/8". Dont take my word for it, give them a call, they will admit to it. Ask for Craig Lieberman or Larry Norris, they are both Execs at Magnaflow.
By the way the magnaflow system is very quiet, just imagine how quiet a 4" system would be w/ a 3" muffler, please don't get screwed like I did if you have a heavily modified truck. This IS NOT the system for you!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:38 PM
tcr

Maynard3, Trust me your system #15989 IS a 3 7/8" to 4" or less core! That's the exact system I have.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by tcr
I am the guy that says the muffler core tapers down to 3 7/8". IT DOES, BELIEVE ME! I have gone round and round w/ Magnaflow on their POS 5" system because my egts actually didn't change at all going from a 4" magnaflow system to a 5" Magnaflow system(they did go down when I strait piped in 5" though, but OMG was that loud). Magnaflow's response was that their 5" system is designed for STOCK or slightly modified(air intake) trucks, which I think is total BS! I have verified w/ Magnaflow that they don't even make a muffler w/ a 5" core, they will admit to it being a 4" core, but I have measured mine w/ calipers and it is barely 3 7/8". Dont take my word for it, give them a call, they will admit to it. Ask for Craig Lieberman or Larry Norris, they are both Execs at Magnaflow.
By the way the magnaflow system is very quiet, just imagine how quiet a 4" system would be w/ a 3" muffler, please don't get screwed like I did if you have a heavily modified truck. This IS NOT the system for you!

WoW, that sucks! This is definitely why the magnaflow 5" is quieter than all other 5" systems. What does that leave me with now? MBRP, Flo Pro, Bully Dog and a few others on ebay w/ 5" systems, but I can almost guarantee they'll be too loud.

Anyone have any opinions on taking say a 5" Flo Pro system and adding a Aeroturbine 5050XL muffler where the stock cat would normally reside? Not sure if it would be wise or not to add an extra 5" muffler WITH the Flo Pro muffler or not. Dynomax also has a Bullet muffler/resonator that's 5". OR, Donaldson has a 5" muffler which is 12" in diameter.

Has anyone added an extra muffler to a 5" system to reduce drone?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:16 PM

Just remember the bigger turbo you go with the louder the exhaust note-rumble-drone-annoyance will be.
So answers that say noise will be "the same" or "not much different" may not exactly apply if those persons have a stock turbo.

I am actually going back to a partial 4" under the truck because the addition of the A5K turbo made my truck really drone again...
Old 01-02-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Just remember the bigger turbo you go with the louder the exhaust note-rumble-drone-annoyance will be.
So answers that say noise will be "the same" or "not much different" may not exactly apply if those persons have a stock turbo.

I am actually going back to a partial 4" under the truck because the addition of the A5K turbo made my truck really drone again...
Ah, good point! Just like putting heads and cam on a muscle car....always increases the sound output.

BUT, will I be restricting anything at my estimated power levels by keeping the 4" system?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:33 PM

Not unless your turbine wheel is over 4 inches in diameter!
Mines only 3 inches so I think I am ok for now!

Seriously if there is a difference it would be negligible. A friend of mine is
over 600rwhp with a partial 4" system.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tcr
Maynard3, Trust me your system #15989 IS a 3 7/8" to 4" or less core! That's the exact system I have.
Did you use a 325/600 elbow, or did your aftermarket turbo require a different downpipe ? I really don't know what to say except that you either got one that was boxed / labeled incorrectly. My muffler's internal diameter is as large or slightly larger as my tubing ! I saw it with my own two eyes as my friend at S&S Tire in Lexington (where I work) performed the installation.

I just went out and looked at mine.

Here at the downpipe, it's 4" right at the connection to the turbo then, where you see the first hanger welded on, it expands to 5".

In this next picture, you'll see the connection at the muffler inlet. The exhaust pipe fits inside of the muffler. Mine in no way, shape, form or fashion "necks down" to 4" or less.

I'd hate to take it all loose and take more pictures, but I imagine I could and re-use the band clamps again.

As far as the Technical Assistance at Magnaflow goes, they're lacking. They also told me the #15870 system would not work on my wife's 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD.....guess what....it's a direct bolt in as well. I had to call them back after the install and tell'em.

Greg

Quick Reply: Time to bump to 5" Magnaflow over Stock w/ MBRP?