3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I just got the RPM Outlet muffler delete pipe which leaves the CAT in place. This thing sounds great. If you ever heard a straight piped truck and thought "Man, that sounds awesome but it's just too loud!" Then this is for you. Same exact tone but only half as loud. Louder than most mufflers but quiet compared to a true SP truck. Some mufflers give these trucks a strange sound but not this .......

Hey Dodgezilla, how does yours sound under a load? Do you have any type of drone with just a muffler delete? I had the SP with no cat on my old '03 HO and it was TOO loud!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:16 AM

Has anyone pulled the Cat and left the muffler? I know that was quick way to get a little more power out of my gas vehicles because the Cat was too restrictive.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by FishingFather
Has anyone pulled the Cat and left the muffler? I know that was quick way to get a little more power out of my gas vehicles because the Cat was too restrictive.

On this subject, I have the "emissions delete" checked off on the original paperwork the truck was ordered with. My 03.5 has NO CAT, down pipe to a muffler then out to the back...
***IS THAT WHAT EMISSIONS DELETE OPTION WAS FROM THE FACTORY???? NO CAT????

Very quite, needs more "tractor sound" IMO. Have not pulled anything yet, but still its not loud @ WOT or 60-80 MPH highway...At least in the cab...

-Kutch
Old 10-19-2006, 01:25 PM

Well I couldn't wait. I went down to the truck and trailer strore and bought some 4" flex pipe @ $4.50/ft. and had it installed at the muffler shop. It sounds great! It has just enough sound to be heard but not enough to irritate.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:25 PM

I couldn't wait on mine either so I used 4" flex. I used it for a long time. Now I shortened the piece and ran it to the middle of the bed for my stacks.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:56 AM

Had my truck straight piped yesterday, just took the muffler off. It sounds
real good!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by kutch
On this subject, I have the "emissions delete" checked off on the original paperwork the truck was ordered with. My 03.5 has NO CAT, down pipe to a muffler then out to the back...
***IS THAT WHAT EMISSIONS DELETE OPTION WAS FROM THE FACTORY???? NO CAT????

Very quite, needs more "tractor sound" IMO. Have not pulled anything yet, but still its not loud @ WOT or 60-80 MPH highway...At least in the cab...

-Kutch
Mine is the same, not cat. Quiet, but I am a little nervous to cut the muffler, afraid it will be too loud. I pull thru the hills a lot, so I don't need the added noise in the cab. I love how they sound, but have not ridden in a no cat, straight, except a 2nd gen and it was way too loud, got annoying after awhile.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:37 AM

I had a Magnaflow w/ no cat on the 03 and it had a little drone but only after installing a Banks downpipe....
Old 10-20-2006, 10:44 AM

I have the muff delete and there is just a bit of drone when getting up to speed under throttle, but once you reach your crusing speed, it dies off and is almost like stock. Sounds real nice, it's more of a truck now. Haven't towed anything with the muff off so I can't report on drone due to load.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:42 AM

I just did mine today, $80 out the door with three replacement hangers. It sounds perfect. Leave the feline converter on the truck. If the truck was any louder, it would be annoying. After the intake and straight pipe it finally sounds like a turbo diesel should.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TX_Diesel
I have the muff delete and there is just a bit of drone when getting up to speed under throttle, but once you reach your crusing speed, it dies off and is almost like stock. Sounds real nice, it's more of a truck now. Haven't towed anything with the muff off so I can't report on drone due to load.
That's exactly what I think about mine....

I just wish the stupid cat didn't make the exaust smell the way it does. I want it to smell like DIESEL!!! LOL
Old 10-23-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by JMalone
I just wish the stupid cat didn't make the exaust smell the way it does. I want it to smell like DIESEL!!! LOL
I second that, the truck smells good for the first 30-40 seconds, then it smells like a natural gas fork lift.....
Old 10-24-2006, 09:17 AM

I did the muffler delete pipe from RPM Outlet and left the cat on..

Just got back from a 1500 mile trip in which I towed about 13,000lbs up and down hills.

It does have a sort of ricer-ish sound, but not bad. ( I own two 2nd Gens with full exhaust systems, so I do know how they should sound ).

It also has a little bit of drone with the back passenger window down, but still not bad.

I have a Bullydog Triple Dog, AFE intake and I also purchased a Boost Fooler from Quad, ............this things is perfect now.

Noise is ok, and EGTs are now controllable even towing in the performance mode.

These were all inexpensive mods that made my 06 outperform my 99 even with injectors and Comp. And at a quarter of the price.

So if anyone is on the fence about this .........I say do it, you wont regret it.

..................Jim
Old 10-24-2006, 03:03 PM

i straight piped my 06 6speed. I used 2 muffler delete pipes 1 for the muffler and 1 for the cat. and i have a bad exhaust rattle between 1500 and 2100 rpms i have had it to at least 5 muffler shops and no one can see to find anything wrong. The best explanation i have gotten is i am pushing so much air through it with all my mods it is reverbing through the pipe. If anyone out there has a solution or suggestions about how to get rid of this noise please let me know

Last edited by stephenb8121; 10-24-2006 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 10-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Forum Rules
You agree, through your use of the DieselTruckResource.Com forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, racially based or biased, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. Legal actions can be taken against you. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you and you show proof of ownership or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material and you can show proof of consent. In addition, for the use of this forum, profane posts should be considered those completely spelled words, or partially spelled words with use of keyboard symbols that suggest a profane meaning. We repeat, profane posts will absolutely not be tolerated on this website and its forums.
Y'all should be more careful about posting that you have/or planning to remove the cat.