3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stereo/speaker questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tands1000
That particular harness will not work on the 05. It will probably plug in but the wires on the harness will not line up with the wires on the truck harness. I have already tried to do it. Like I already said in my previous posts. It is simple. Until someone comes out with another type harness, you will have to hard wire an aftermarket deck in the 05 model. It is set up differently than any other year before, including the ones with the factory amp.

Travis

I guess I'm going to have to look at one and see what exactly you are talking about...............cuz I guess I'm somewhat ????? about it. It doesn't make much sense why it's different, but like I said I guess I will have to look at one and see
Old 10-17-2005, 09:18 PM

I had an 03 dakota that I purchased a new deck for. It was installed with a wiring harness that is used for many of the dodge trucks. When I got the 05 ram, I tried to install the Alpine with the harness. It plugged right in but no sound came through the speakers. Everything else worked fine though. Took it to Tweeter and they said I needed to hook up the remote wire which we did. Still no sound. Went back to Tweeter and after I told them I had the Infinity system with factory amp, their chief installer told me it would not work. The factory amp would have to bypassed. There are alot more wires coming from the deck side of the harness than on the truck side. Unlike an aftermarket deck, the factory deck supplies no power. The factory deck and factory amp work together to supply power to the speakers. Therefore in order to install a new deck, you will have to bypass the factory amp.

Travis
Old 11-11-2005, 09:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tands1000
That particular harness will not work on the 05. It will probably plug in but the wires on the harness will not line up with the wires on the truck harness. I have already tried to do it. Like I already said in my previous posts. It is simple. Until someone comes out with another type harness, you will have to hard wire an aftermarket deck in the 05 model. It is set up differently than any other year before, including the ones with the factory amp.

Travis
I have to agree. I just ordered the RAH and there is a different Mopar part number just for 05. Can't tell you what's different, just that mine isn't the same as the 03-04 (looks the same, but not the same part number).
Old 12-15-2005, 07:19 AM

Could you post the wiring diagram (color code for each speaker)
Old 12-15-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have looked in to this, and talked to several car audio shops about what is the best route to go. They all (4) told me the same thing, that there is no harness for this, and that it is best to rewire everything and bypass the factory amp. I think I am going to let the shop handle this one for me.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
short story long the pinout is differnet. this is an easy fix though if the connectors are the same. find the pinout for the 05. all the plug give you is raw wires to splice to the deck. If the plug is the same you just need to cross reference the new connections and remap them accordingly.

exmaple the "orange"wire may have been batt power on the 05 now maybe it is a speaker input something like that.

if you had the connect diagram for 05 and 04 you could still use the 04 wiring harness as long as the connector is the same. you will just want to double and tripple check things so you don't have power spliced to ground or something.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:23 PM

BlackSunShyne: I would go with whatever Crutchfield says. I bought quite a few things from them and would never go to anyone else. I like the service there. I was looking at just getting a new head unit and getting the MTX thunderform for under the back seats they are usually extremely helpful in all the wiring diagrams and stuff like that. The wiring harness is usually just a pigtail that you splice the originals into and then plug it in to the head unit. I couldn't figure out how to take the radio out much less do all the wiring for that, I got a buddy of mine who does all of that complicated stuff that way I can blame him if he screws up.