3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stereo/speaker questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Stereo/speaker questions

In looking into modifying the CD player and all cab speakers in my truck, I have a question. Crutchfield says the door speakers receive no high output from the stock Radio/CD player. Is this only with the stock unit? If I replace the deck with an aftermarket, will it send all frequencies to all speakers (door speakers) Also...Has anyone replaces the 3 small tweeters in the dash? Was that really difficult? Was the improvement worth the time, money, and effort?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The factory radio has no output to the speakers. The radio sends a signal to an amplifier that powers all the speakers in your truck. If you decided to replace the headunit, you will have to bypass the factory amp. This will inturn disable the center channel in the dash (probably wont even notice it missing though). Even though the speakers in your laramie (assuming you have the infinity system) are nice, you will probably see a difference with aftermarket speakers. Remember however that the factory setup has an amp and an aftermarket headunit will not push as many watts. You may also want to install a new amp for your new speakers for the best sound.

Travis
Old 10-02-2005, 08:11 PM

So if I understand that correctly...With the addition of the aftermarket deck, and the bypass of the factory amp, the center channel, or the in dash top speakers will no longer matter because they will no longer function? Is that correct? Also the bypass of the factory amp does that mean running new wires from deck to speakers? Also has anyone done this on the 05 and used the Crutchfield wiring harness that they supply? I have always done this in the past, and I hope I can do it this time as well...

Oh BTW...I do have the infinity OEM system, but am looking at upgrading everything.

Thanks for the input, please keep it coming!
Old 10-02-2005, 08:18 PM

You have three speakers in the dash. Only the middle one of the 3 will not work. I had always done my own radio install but I didnt feel like going through all this hassle. So, I am having mine done at a local shop. They will also install a device that will allow use of the steering wheel functions. Dont be fooled by reading that a particular headunit will allow this operation without additional products. At least none I have seen do. Your new headunit must be capable of the operation but will need different parts. Hope this helps.

As far as the crutchfield harness goes, I cant reply. From what i understand though, it would not work.

Travis
Old 10-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Banned

acording to the wireing diagram, the center chanel is wired old school, ie to l/r + terminals, its a phantom center, so unless you actualy re wire every thing then yes, the center will still work.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:21 PM

I had to run wires from my aftermarket deck to my speaker wires. Its very easy todo, they are in your driver & passenger side kick panels. If you would like I can show u a pic and tell you what colours they are. I'm gonna to stick 2 kicker S8L7 subs behind my driver seat removing the 1 back seat. There is no wiring harness to get the factory amp to work, I looked all over the place and nothing worked.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:05 AM

Do you have to re-run wires to the rear speakers (speakers in the rear doors) as well?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:55 PM

do you have the infinity sound or not? that makes a difference on what approach to take.

aftermarket deck will do just what it says. all frequencies to the channels. you just have to make sure there is not facotry amp in the system like with the infinity sound. you can run amplified signal to an amplifier.

If you have a factory amplifer you don't need to run new speaker wire you just need to tak out the amp and tap into the wires there. I do belive the factory infinity speakers are 2ohms though and most decks need 4ohm impedance.

short story long though there are wires running from all you speakers to your dash either way.

I added a sub amp to the factory system. so I had to tap into the amplifier output behind the dash for imput for the sub amp via a line level converter. so the wires are there. find a pdf of the manual. it was a life savor for me.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:44 PM

I found it easier to run 4 wires from my aftermarket deck to to eather side kick pannels and wire them in from there. I found the stock amp a phuckin pain in the azz to get at, so I just skipped in and spliced else were. If I knew what todo in the 1st place it would of only takin me 45mins to run the wires and wire it up. But instead I spent half a day fighting with the dash to get at the amp and ended up cutting it out lol. Then went hunting for wires else were. I will be adding subs behind my rear seat once I can get some money to get a custom box build.

No you don't have to run wires all the way to your back doors. They are acessable from up front by the kick pannels. Just cut and wire in from there.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:26 AM

Let me understand this better.

I don't have the infinity system....do I have a factory amp or not? If not, would make the install of an aftermarket deck a lot simpler. I can just use the wiring harness adapter then, correct?

Thanks.

Igor.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:41 AM

if your replacing everything or at least head unit and speakers, just run a pair of rca cables to an amp and then run new speaker wire form the amp to the speakers in the doors. Just like the everything else factory, the wires can use an upgrade too. So if your investing in the other stuff, why not make life easier ( to me wiring diagrams and splicing = more work than running new wires through trim pieces and grommets but thats me). plus you wont have to splice anything and can return to stock easily.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:00 AM

Yes, I agree. I still want to know if I have an amp or not? I doubt it, the stereo is nothing speical at all.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Igor
Let me understand this better.

I don't have the infinity system....do I have a factory amp or not? If not, would make the install of an aftermarket deck a lot simpler. I can just use the wiring harness adapter then, correct?

Thanks.

Igor.
I would verify this at a stereo shop in the service manual but if you do not have the infinty sound the amplifier is proably in the deck and you can just by the adapter harness and you are good to go.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:53 PM

If you don't have the infinity system then it is just a simple plug and play setup. It usally say infinity on the side pillar by the front pillar grab bar.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:06 PM

No infinity here, just the normal low buck CD player.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Stereo/speaker questions