3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stereo/speaker questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Igor
Yes, I agree. I still want to know if I have an amp or not? I doubt it, the stereo is nothing speical at all.
you are good to go .. i did this .. i put in a new alpine head unit and used a painless wiring harness . so you don't have to hack up the facotry wiring harness .. i did not have the infinity system .. it took about 20 mins to re- and re the head units .. i then added new alpine 6x9's in the front doors .. they sound alot better than stock .. but still not as good as i want ..

good luck
Old 10-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Banned

I'm confused why you guys are running new wires to your speakers seeing how you have the factory amps...............you don't need to do that!!!

To use the factory amp with an aftermarket deck is easy. You don't have to touch a single thing on the amp, all you need to do is hook up the remote turn on wire from the aftermarket deck to the amplifier wire in the aftermarket wiring harness. NO need to run new wires at all!!! All of the speakers will work exactly the same as they did with the stock deck but much better!!!

It is exactly the same as hooking up a stereo without the infinity system, it just takes on more wire to hook up!

~Nick
Old 10-10-2005, 09:51 PM

Yea but what wire is the remote turn on?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
I'm confused why you guys are running new wires to your speakers seeing how you have the factory amps...............you don't need to do that!!!

To use the factory amp with an aftermarket deck is easy. You don't have to touch a single thing on the amp, all you need to do is hook up the remote turn on wire from the aftermarket deck to the amplifier wire in the aftermarket wiring harness. NO need to run new wires at all!!! All of the speakers will work exactly the same as they did with the stock deck but much better!!!

It is exactly the same as hooking up a stereo without the infinity system, it just takes on more wire to hook up!

~Nick
On most vehicles this might be the case. But not on my 05. There isnt a harness ( that I know of) that will work between a new head unit and the truck harness.

Travis
Old 10-10-2005, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by tands1000
On most vehicles this might be the case. But not on my 05. There isnt a harness ( that I know of) that will work between a new head unit and the truck harness.

Travis
well i am sure it is pluged right into the back of your factory deck ..

good luck
Old 10-11-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Crutchfield wiring harnesess splice into the existing truck wiring, Can I just attach up the remote wire and be good to go. They way Gotlift explains it makes sense, could it be that easy?? This Dodge Infinity system is turning out to be a HUGE pain in the a...eeeerrrrrrrr neck
Old 10-11-2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSunShyne
The Crutchfield wiring harnesess splice into the existing truck wiring, Can I just attach up the remote wire and be good to go. They way Gotlift explains it makes sense, could it be that easy?? This Dodge Infinity system is turning out to be a HUGE pain in the a...eeeerrrrrrrr neck
you know ?! i think it is that easy ... with that crutchfield wiring harness you should be good to go ..

good luck
Old 10-11-2005, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by swansong04
well i am sure it is pluged right into the back of your factory deck ..

good luck
We tried exactly what you suggested by hooking up the remote wire but it still doesnt work. It is very simple. If you want to run an aftermarket headunit in an 05 model truck you will have to bypass the factory amp. That simple. If someone has a harness that will plug in to my Alpine and into the truck harness and WORK, I would like to know where you got it. Otherwise, you will have to rewire something.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by tands1000
We tried exactly what you suggested by hooking up the remote wire but it still doesnt work. It is very simple. If you want to run an aftermarket headunit in an 05 model truck you will have to bypass the factory amp. That simple. If someone has a harness that will plug in to my Alpine and into the truck harness and WORK, I would like to know where you got it. Otherwise, you will have to rewire something.

ok well i didnt have the infinity sound set up .. all i had was the factory cd player with four speakers .. i disconected my factory head unit and took the painless wiring harness that is specific for the dodge and plugged it into the harness i took out of the factory deck .. then i but spliced all the wires from the new painless wiring hanress onto the alpine wiring harness.. the painless wiring harness or adapter is coloerd coded and it has a diagram on the packaging on what all the wires do .. kinda like what is on the bottom of a alpine deck ... i hope this helps you and dosn't confuse even more

good luck
Old 10-11-2005, 10:47 PM

And just for everyone`s info, if you cut your factory wiring harness, you will void the warranty. Wiring is something that is plainly specified in the Magneson-Moss Act as something that can void a warranty, and trust me, dealers will use that to thier advantage if something ever goes wrong.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 043500QC
And just for everyone`s info, if you cut your factory wiring harness, you will void the warranty. Wiring is something that is plainly specified in the Magneson-Moss Act as something that can void a warranty, and trust me, dealers will use that to thier advantage if something ever goes wrong.

If your dealership is that much of a Edit to void your warranty becuase you cut 8 wires to install speakers. Tell them to pound sand and go find a better dealership.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:13 PM

Its not hardly that easy. Most dealers are like that, or at least the service departments are. They get paid by the manufacturer on service work, therefore the manufacturer has final say, and DC is no differant than anyone else. Anytime they can get out of assuming responsibility for something, they will.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

Sorry it took me so long to respond, been kinda busy!!! All stereo shops should have a wiring harness adapter for your 05! In fact they shouldn't be any different that the 03's and 04's, from what I know they are they same stereo!

The harness wires to the back of your aftermarket deck, and plugs directly into the factory harness that you unplugged from your factory deck. And no, the remote turn on WILL NOT work unless you have that harness. When I hooked mine up, nothing will work until I hook that remote wire up because the factory amp isn't recieving a signal saying that it is time to turn on. Basically the same principal for amps for subs and crap. Plus it's way easier than hacking the crap out of your wires in your dash.............

Let me do some checking, and I will get back to you guys and see if I can find one for you.............

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CyLLN9R...00&I=120706502

From what I know, this harness should work with your guys stereos. I don't think that they change the harness at all between say my year ( 2001 ) and 2005. I'm not 100% sure, so you might want to call there toll free number and ask, but I'm almost positive that this will work..............I hope! The only thing that it shows this harness will not work for is if you have the cell connect interferance option on your stereo!?!?!?! Then evidentally this won't work.............but in my opinion why would you want it. The harness should work either way, you just wouldn't be able to hook up that feature if that was the case.

And for those who asked what the remote turn on wire was, its a blue wire on the back of the aftermarket deck and should be labeled. Take that blue wire and wire it to the power attenna wire on the new harness and that should be all you need. It's really simple and sure saves a HUGE mess and a massive headache.....if you guys have any questions, PM me since I'm not in the 3rd gen area too much...........be glad to help!!!!

~Nick
Old 10-14-2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
Sorry it took me so long to respond, been kinda busy!!! All stereo shops should have a wiring harness adapter for your 05! In fact they shouldn't be any different that the 03's and 04's, from what I know they are they same stereo!

The harness wires to the back of your aftermarket deck, and plugs directly into the factory harness that you unplugged from your factory deck. And no, the remote turn on WILL NOT work unless you have that harness. When I hooked mine up, nothing will work until I hook that remote wire up because the factory amp isn't recieving a signal saying that it is time to turn on. Basically the same principal for amps for subs and crap. Plus it's way easier than hacking the crap out of your wires in your dash.............

Let me do some checking, and I will get back to you guys and see if I can find one for you.............

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CyLLN9R...00&I=120706502

From what I know, this harness should work with your guys stereos. I don't think that they change the harness at all between say my year ( 2001 ) and 2005. I'm not 100% sure, so you might want to call there toll free number and ask, but I'm almost positive that this will work..............I hope! The only thing that it shows this harness will not work for is if you have the cell connect interferance option on your stereo!?!?!?! Then evidentally this won't work.............but in my opinion why would you want it. The harness should work either way, you just wouldn't be able to hook up that feature if that was the case.

And for those who asked what the remote turn on wire was, its a blue wire on the back of the aftermarket deck and should be labeled. Take that blue wire and wire it to the power attenna wire on the new harness and that should be all you need. It's really simple and sure saves a HUGE mess and a massive headache.....if you guys have any questions, PM me since I'm not in the 3rd gen area too much...........be glad to help!!!!

~Nick
That particular harness will not work on the 05. It will probably plug in but the wires on the harness will not line up with the wires on the truck harness. I have already tried to do it. Like I already said in my previous posts. It is simple. Until someone comes out with another type harness, you will have to hard wire an aftermarket deck in the 05 model. It is set up differently than any other year before, including the ones with the factory amp.

Travis
Old 10-14-2005, 08:09 PM

I find it HARD to belive that

a)nobody has a harness for the '05

and...

b) nobody with an '05 on this list has done it.

I am sure there is a perfect answer to this. I am going to tacle mine sometime in the near future when I get some time off work...should be interesting.

Quick Reply: Stereo/speaker questions