3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

steering whel play fix...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering whel play fix...

My 03 has 70k now and had some play in wheel. Not much but it felt "spongy" at higher speed. I adjusted my steering box with a 5/8" wrench and a 3/16" allen wrench and it feels super now. I have adjusted older trucks with the Saganaw box many times and those boxes usually only take about 3/4 turn maximum before gear binding. Usually the box needs replaced if they are that bad, but I turned this one a bunch before it even started to take up slop in the wheel. It is a different style box than the old Saganaw's. I think the adjustment screw has a finer thread that contributes to more turns. I strongly feel that play inside the box is what causes or allowes the "death wobble" so many complain about. If the pitmen arm has the opertunity to "dance around" before it is felt in the wheel(or stabilized by your hand on the wheel) then when you try to correct you turn the wheel slightly to the left lets say, but the tires respond by turning a little left and then more so from the "slop" in the steering box gears. By that time you have turned slightly to the right and then the tires turn "more" than you turned the wheel as they pass the point you turned the wheel and then drift on over taking up the gear lash inside the box. It only takes a couple minutes so anyone can do it. Just climb under your truck and adjust it and then drive it. I think you will be surprized at the stable feeling. Some of you may not notice play in your wheel as you have grown to "accept" this play as it has gotten worse from new, getting sloppy over thousands of miles. I am sure other components can contribute to the "death wobble" such as soft bushings in the track bar and steering dampner getting soft. I know the KORE stuff is good but pricey for most of us so when mine gets worn I am going to make a bracket to install another one directly across from the stocker and change the stocker to have a dual setup. I purchased a Trailmaster for an 02 model and it has about 1/2" more travel than my 03 and will fit up there I just need to make brackets and a mount for the crossover bar. I am thinking of making a longer double headed bolt so the eyes of both stabilizers will mount in the factory hole in crossover bar Instead of a u-bolt style clamp over the round bar, I feel it could "slip" but who knows. I was trying to make a bolt on kit I could market for all you that would be interested.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Great write up!

I've had to adjust mine 3 times now. At least they are adjustable.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by ataboy9026
My 03 has 70k now and had some play in wheel. Not much but it felt "spongy" at higher speed. I adjusted my steering box with a 5/8" wrench and a 3/16" allen wrench and it feels super now. I have adjusted older trucks with the Saganaw box many times and those boxes usually only take about 3/4 turn maximum before gear binding. Usually the box needs replaced if they are that bad, but I turned this one a bunch before it even started to take up slop in the wheel. It is a different style box than the old Saganaw's. I think the adjustment screw has a finer thread that contributes to more turns. I strongly feel that play inside the box is what causes or allowes the "death wobble" so many complain about. If the pitmen arm has the opertunity to "dance around" before it is felt in the wheel(or stabilized by your hand on the wheel) then when you try to correct you turn the wheel slightly to the left lets say, but the tires respond by turning a little left and then more so from the "slop" in the steering box gears. By that time you have turned slightly to the right and then the tires turn "more" than you turned the wheel as they pass the point you turned the wheel and then drift on over taking up the gear lash inside the box. It only takes a couple minutes so anyone can do it. Just climb under your truck and adjust it and then drive it. I think you will be surprized at the stable feeling. Some of you may not notice play in your wheel as you have grown to "accept" this play as it has gotten worse from new, getting sloppy over thousands of miles. I am sure other components can contribute to the "death wobble" such as soft bushings in the track bar and steering dampner getting soft. I know the KORE stuff is good but pricey for most of us so when mine gets worn I am going to make a bracket to install another one directly across from the stocker and change the stocker to have a dual setup. I purchased a Trailmaster for an 02 model and it has about 1/2" more travel than my 03 and will fit up there I just need to make brackets and a mount for the crossover bar. I am thinking of making a longer double headed bolt so the eyes of both stabilizers will mount in the factory hole in crossover bar Instead of a u-bolt style clamp over the round bar, I feel it could "slip" but who knows. I was trying to make a bolt on kit I could market for all you that would be interested.
I have put one of these on my truck,http://www.solidsteel.ca/ it feels better now.I also added a rancho steering stabilizer shock.coobie
Old 02-26-2006, 07:35 AM

Maybe I am missing something here but I can't find where the 5/8" nut/bolt is or the 3/16" allen head.

Someone help me out!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:04 AM

It is on top of the steering box. If you look down from under hood between radiator and windsheild washer tank you'll see it.Down very low. From under the truck you'll just reach up and over the steering box to adjust it. You'll feel it better than see it. Just loosen the 5/8" locknut with wrench ( and leave wrench on nut to keep it from turning) then adjust the allen screw down a little at a time until play in wheel is gone, then tighten locknut. There may be some "gunk" or crud inside the allen screw hole so pick it out with small screwdriver or shoot it with brake cleaner or something.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's much easier to do this by removing the plastic inner fender. Then you can actually see and access the adjuster without having to be a blind contortionist.