3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Steering stabilizers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cquestad
I am tired of knowing way more about my bike's suspension than my truck's!

Thanks for the clarification Don.

You would dig the ride on my CRF...wow.
I wish I knew what the ride was like on any Moto at this point lol!!! Too freaking busy!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
BTW...

Depending on style...maybe a non gas charged twin chamber...like a showa fork woiuld be the ticket. Lots a' travel. The trucks weight must be the issue.
I'm not a pro when it comes to the fork internals like the shock, but I THINK the forks main dampening chamber has a system to prevent cavitation in some way..

Let me check something..

edit: pretty sure the oil in the forks main chamber doesn't really do much "dampening", but the oil volume decides how progressive the suspension becomes when the air pocket shrinks under compression. The small internal chamber does the actual dampening and I "think" it is actually nitrogen pressureized.. Not sure though..
Old 06-27-2008, 10:12 AM

Paul Fox at Defiant got back to me and the sounds I was reporting are normal for a gas charged emulsion type shock/stabilizer in a horizontal position (which I would obviously never hear with my CTD running).

In terms of the shaft turning dark on my new steering stabilizer, Paul explained that is due to the "nitrosteel" coating treatment that Radflo uses. This is a deeper penetrating treatment (as compared to chrome), and upon cycling, the shaft turns a darker color than a more typical chromed shaft.

So, it looks like I am good to go after all. Here are a couple of pics:

Old 08-14-2008, 07:08 PM

when i go over train tracks or uneven surfaces my steering wheel goes crazy and my truck jerks left and right....would that be my steering stabalizer?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by megaboom
when i go over train tracks or uneven surfaces my steering wheel goes crazy and my truck jerks left and right....would that be my steering stabalizer?
There could be other front suspension components (or even bump steer) that could contribute to that effect, however, a steering stabilizer is in part intended to help counteract what you describe. Do you still have your factory steering stabilizer? Depending on your mileage (as well as having significantly larger tires over stock), it may be time to get an aftermarket replacement.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:04 PM

happy........

with my defiant dual rapidflo stabilizers w/diff guard. they were expensive. they do make a single. they last approx. 25-30k miles, then take em' off and have them bumped with 70lbs of nitrogen @ your local cycle shop. no pitting or fluid leaks........knock on wood. very happy with mine.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned

they last approx. 25-30k miles, then take em' off and have them bumped with 70lbs of nitrogen @ your local cycle shop.
Are you saying that the Radflo stabilizers leak down over time, and you have to take them in every 25k miles to get them recharged?

--Eric
Old 08-15-2008, 10:03 AM

If they're losing nitrogen you really should have them rebuilt.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:51 AM

no, was told by.........

paul @ defiant, had said, depending on how truck was used, you would need to recharge w/ 70lbs. of nitro. usually between 25-30k. not pitted yet, no leaks or nothing to wipe off. i have had them on my truck for close to 40k and when i took then off a couple weeks ago to change diff fluid, they still had enough friction; i could barely push them in with my hands. it is definetly made with superior rings to clean off debris and keep shaft clean. yes, though it does need to be recharged every so often....when i bought them, it was a decision between kore's fox piece, and defiants. i know thats i would have been happy with either.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:54 AM

dc......

sorry missed reading your post. mine look the same, asked paul same thing, no worries!