3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Steering stabilizers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MegaMagoo, I got mine from Don Thuren. Ordered it from him via e-mail, took a couple of weeks to get thanks to UPS screwing up. Can't say enough about Don's customer service though - top notch. Castor would be part of your alignment specs. Did you have it aligned after the lift?

Darren
Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 AM

Castor refers to the amount of lean in the front knuckle. You want the knuckle to lean back a little. In our case, about 5* positive castor (leaning back, negative castor would lean forward) works well. I think stock specs are somewhere around 3.5*-4.5* positive castor.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:57 AM

does anyone know if the fox stabilizer is a rebuildable piece?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by mkinpwer
does anyone know if the fox stabilizer is a rebuildable piece?

Yes, it is.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Castor refers to the amount of lean in the front knuckle. You want the knuckle to lean back a little. In our case, about 5* positive castor (leaning back, negative castor would lean forward) works well. I think stock specs are somewhere around 3.5*-4.5* positive castor.
I was actually talking to a guy yesterday and he had mentioned that I should find out if they advanced it or not. He said I would need at least 1*. Also he had mentioned that because I'am feeling a shake in what feels like my trany since I've owed the truck he thinks they did not clock it properly.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:54 AM

Question Is a Noisy Defiant/Radflo Steering Stabilizer Normal ?

I just installed a Defiant (Radflo) single steering stabilizer in my '07 3500, and I had a question for those who may have the same unit.

When I was done with the install, I still had the front end off the ground, so I did a few lock-to-lock cycles of the steering. It was noticeably harder to turn the steering wheel than when I did the same thing when the factory stabilizer was still in place, and I expected that. However, since I didn't have the engine running, I was quite surprised at how noisy the Radflo stabilizer was as I cycled the steering back and forth. I had my wife take over on the steering wheel and got down near the Radflo unit and it was constantly hissing and gurgling in a major way.

In another forum, a guy from Desert Proven was making the case that when you run an emulsion type shock (or steering stabilizer) horizontally, the gas and fluid intermix (which supposedly doesn't help with off-road damping like KORE's steering stabilizer does). I am now wondering if this is what I was hearing from my Defiant/Radflo stabilizer.

Has anyone else who has a Defiant/Radflo steering stabilizer experienced this sound? Is it likely "normal" (based on what the Desert Proven guy was talking about), or is something potentially wrong with with mine?

(I also noticed that the shiny shaft on my Radflo has turned almost black and it doesn't wipe off, and this was just from the full cycling of my steering after the install tonight).

Any comments or input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
Old 06-26-2008, 11:15 AM

I think there is a bladder between the oil and gas...so they DON'T intermix.

The angle does not matter.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad

Well, if that's the case for a Radflo steering stabilizer, then maybe there is something wrong with my unit. I've got an email into Paul Fox at Defiant on all of this, so I'll see what he comes back with.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 AM

Actually, with emulsion shocks they do mix. An emulsion shock is most efficient mounted vertically. I'd much rather have an IFP shock in that application.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by DECJ

In another forum, a guy from Desert Proven was making the case that when you run an emulsion type shock (or steering stabilizer) horizontally, the gas and fluid intermix (which supposedly doesn't help with off-road damping like KORE's steering stabilizer does). I am now wondering if this is what I was hearing from my Defiant/Radflo stabilizer.
With an emulsion shock/stabilizer, you actually WANT the air and the oil to foam up. If it doesn't, you have a huge air pocket. Normally in a shock absorber it's not much of a concern as the shock is upright, the suspension forces are quick which quickly foams the oil, and super tight resolution is not mandatory in a shock absorber. A steering stabilizer does not see enough movement to adequately foam the oil in my opinion..

Old 06-26-2008, 11:24 AM

Shoot...missed the "emulsion" part...air emulsified with oil.

Sorry on my error. What are king's 2.5's?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:28 AM

I'm pretty darn sure King/Radflo/SAW/etc shocks don't have a bladder option at all Christian. Moto's use them in place of the dividing piston we use in the off-road vehicle world. Bladders are there to keep weight and space to a minimum on Motos', and can only be used with short stroke shocks having somewhat slow shaft speeds compared to what we are used to seeing..

Could be a good idea on a steering stabilizer though...

Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM

I am tired of knowing way more about my bike's suspension than my truck's!

Thanks for the clarification Don.

You would dig the ride on my CRF...wow.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:32 AM

Shoot...missed the "emulsion" part...air emulsified with oil.

Sorry on my error. What are king's 2.5's?
If they are remote reservoir they use a divider piston between the air/oil. If no reservoir, they are filled up with oil but not all the way, so there is an air pocket to allow the shaft to compress into. This is a typical "emulsion shock". Air and oil mixed..

Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 AM

BTW...

Depending on style...maybe a non gas charged twin chamber...like a showa fork woiuld be the ticket. Lots a' travel. The trucks weight must be the issue.

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizers.