3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

steering column guage pod

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering column guage pod

Thinking of adding a couple more guages. After searching it looks like they don't interfere with your dash guages but is there any downfalls to using this setup?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 AM

Ive had a column mount for 2 years almost and still havnt installed it. It seems like plastic on a twinkie wrapper is thicker than that column mount. That stuff is thin and kinda cheap lookin. Who knows if I dont get the commander workin better I might use it.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by tristan21
Ive had a column mount for 2 years almost and still havnt installed it. It seems like plastic on a twinkie wrapper is thicker than that column mount. That stuff is thin and kinda cheap lookin. Who knows if I dont get the commander workin better I might use it.
well that settles that. I would love to come up with a way to have my commander read above 44psi. Does anyone know if the new isspro guages use a sender with a boost bolt? Justin at quad told me it would need to be a sender that reads 0-5 volts that would read higher. They made some beta ones but it looks like I will have a better chance of winning the lottery before I get one. I asked about the adrenaline and it will not read above 44 either. It just looks like as many aftermarket turbos out here they would have something for us to read above 44
Old 05-29-2008, 08:57 AM

Most all gauges come with an appropriately matched sender. You have to buy the boost bolt unless you buy the gauges from Geno's Garage; they include it free of charge with a boost gauge purchase. If you just wanted to try and make a sender work with the Commander you can get replacement senders on the web; egauges.com used to have a bunch of them. I don't know if it has to be "matched" to the Commander though. Quad may be able to shed some light on that if you give them a call. Haven't heard from them on here recently.......
Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 AM

I have the double, works great!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:20 AM

I have the steerling pod,its a good setup it looks better once its painted. Only thing it blocks is the gear indicator.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:20 AM

By the way..... I also meant to say that I have the steering column pod as well. It works great for what it is. Like tristan21 said, the plastic is a little on the thin side. It's not a big deal but you also have to cut the bolts down on the back of the gauges because they bottom out before the gauge is seated in the column pod.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like my dual steering column mount...I dont really care how thick the plastic is...you cant tell when it's mounted!...but I wish it mounted more solidly and I wish it had a plate to cover the automatic trans hole for us handshaker guys....I like it WAAAAY better then my overhead I had tho.

the new performax gauges not have studs so you wont have to cut any studs to make it fit either!!

my.02
Old 05-29-2008, 09:27 AM

i had one and ditched it... you have to cut the studs off the back of the gauge for it to fit, plus its thin as crap and generates alot of heat with the gauge in there. you cant adjust the steering wheel all the way. i ran a fuel pressure gauge to it and had to cut some of the back trim off the pod so it wouldnt pinch the line to the gauge. for a quick fix yea its cool, but i ditched mine. still have it if your interested.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 06CTDforAU
Most all gauges come with an appropriately matched sender. You have to buy the boost bolt unless you buy the gauges from Geno's Garage; they include it free of charge with a boost gauge purchase. If you just wanted to try and make a sender work with the Commander you can get replacement senders on the web; egauges.com used to have a bunch of them. I don't know if it has to be "matched" to the Commander though. Quad may be able to shed some light on that if you give them a call. Haven't heard from them on here recently.......
That's what I'm not sure about. justin said the sender had to read 0-5 volts but it looks like if 5 volts with stock sender is 44 then 5 volts with a different sender will not have accurate readings.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by TORQUE BEAST
That's what I'm not sure about. justin said the sender had to read 0-5 volts but it looks like if 5 volts with stock sender is 44 then 5 volts with a different sender will not have accurate readings.
Yeah I see what you're saying now. It seems to me that the Commander's "brain" would have to be reconfigured to accept the new sender values. Even if another 0-5 volt sender with a range of say 0-100 psi was hooked up, it seems like the sender would read 5v and 100 psi but the Commander would only read 44 psi because that is what it is supposed to say when it sees 5v. That could get a little tricky. I guess you could always come up with a multiplication factor and use it all the time for figuring your actual boost numbers.

It may be best to just run a manual boost gauge and forget about it. It would be really nice if it was all in one unit though.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have the double one myself. i modified it. i used two stainless steels bolts to attach it to the sides of the steering column. i also used a few washers underneath it, in the center to raise it and tilt it back-for a better view of the gauges. looks and works great.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by 06CTDforAU
Yeah I see what you're saying now. It seems to me that the Commander's "brain" would have to be reconfigured to accept the new sender values. Even if another 0-5 volt sender with a range of say 0-100 psi was hooked up, it seems like the sender would read 5v and 100 psi but the Commander would only read 44 psi because that is what it is supposed to say when it sees 5v. That could get a little tricky. I guess you could always come up with a multiplication factor and use it all the time for figuring your actual boost numbers.

It may be best to just run a manual boost gauge and forget about it. It would be really nice if it was all in one unit though.
That would be a pain in the butt trying to figure out what your actual boost is. Surely we have some super smart techs with big brains on here that can figure out a way to read higher boost with the commander.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:09 PM

I had the autometer dual gauge pod, i got it, looked at it, did a test fit, put it back in the box, and traded it with alittle cash for the triple gauge pod that fits in the middle of the dash. Im sure i could of made it work but i just wasent impressed by the thin plastic and the way it attached to the column.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:03 PM

ya, the column pod is out. I'll do something different.