3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

steering column gauge pod

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering column gauge pod

Where can I see a pic of an installed 2 gauge steering column pod for an '03. I'd like to see how it looks and hear any feedback from those who have one, before I decide where to mount the gauges. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:16 AM

I have one installed. I will try to get a pic posted later today.

My list of positives would be; Allows me to keep my grab handle which is helpful in getting in and out. Guages are clustered near factory ones, so can glance at the tach, pyro, boost, and speedo at the same time. The pod itself looks good, almost factory.

My list of negatives; Partially blocks the view of trip/odometer (no big deal, who stares at those while driving anyway?). Column pods instructions were horrible (you'd be better off not getting any).

Basically you have an upper and lower plastic part of your steering column cover. When I got my column pod, it took my a few minutes to figure out that it's not supposed to take the place of the stock upper. It fits over the stock upper. They give you these really cheap pieces of double side tape to stick it on. Or you can drill 4 holes from the pod through the factory top piece and use 4 provided plastic panel pops to hold it on (That's the route I went). I drilled holes in the factory top under where each guage would be in the pod so I could run all the connections through the column.

About the only thing I would do different with my install would have been to use an epoxy to glue the pod to the factory upper column piece instead of using the panel pops (cleaner appearance). I did ultimately user JB Weld quick cure along with the panel pops. Mainly because the pod is kind of a press fit over the factory column and wants to lift off it even with the panel pops installed. Once I added the JB Weld, that guage pod isn't going anywhere.

-Muzzy
Old 01-16-2004, 12:02 PM

I posted some pics in my member gallery. They are currently pending approval. Let me know if you have any ?'s.

-Muzzy
Old 01-16-2004, 08:34 PM

Muzzy,

How do the Phantom series match up at night with the OEM gauges??
Old 01-17-2004, 01:27 AM

The Phantoms don't have the green glow that the factory ones do. I was looking into either painting the bulbs or finding some green bulbs for them. They still look ok at night though, just not green. I have them wired into the dimmer so they dim with the factory guages.

If it wasn't for Summit offering a great deal on the guages ($43-boost, $118-Pyro), then I would have gone for the Lunar series.

-Muzzy
Old 01-17-2004, 01:42 AM

OMG..Duh, I just realized what those little colored rubber things that came with my guages....They're bulb covers. I'll let you know how they look when I get them installed....He He. I can't believe I didn't pick that up when I was installing them.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the pic's Muzzy. That's exactly what I was looking for.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Muted User

where did you find the steering column gauge pod?
Old 01-19-2004, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Steering column mount and I installed it with epoxy. My guages are Auto meter white face. and in the Daytime they look correct but at night they don't change colour. I used the green bulb condoms and at night they are a little hard to read but at night the air is cool and the air temp is down anyhow. Like Muzzy said the odometer may be a little hard to read if you are not to tall but other than that I have know complaints. I got the correct interior colour from DC. and painted the mount and it looks like it is supposed to be there.
Jim O
Old 01-19-2004, 08:39 AM

I got my pod from Jegs. This link will take you to thier site: Autometer Dual Column Guage Pod. Summit has them too, but theirs were on backorder.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:29 AM

Muzzy,

Stupid question... how tall are you? I'm wondering if the steering-column pod would interfere more with my line-of-sight to the stock gauges than yours? I'm 5' 8".

I've been leaning heavily toward the cubby-mounted version that I saw on another thread (mounted under the HVAC controls) for when I get my truck, but those photos of yours make it look pretty nice...
Old 01-19-2004, 04:51 PM

I'm 6'1". With tilt steering and all, I don't think they would block much. I will try to get a night pic of them tonight.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Muzzy
[B]I have one installed. I will try to get a pic posted later today.

My list of positives would be; Allows me to keep my grab handle which is helpful in getting in and out. Guages are clustered near factory ones, so can glance at the tach, pyro, boost, and speedo at the same time. The pod itself looks good, almost factory.

My list of negatives; Partially blocks the view of trip/odometer (no big deal, who stares at those while driving anyway?). Column pods instructions were horrible (you'd be better off not getting any).

Basically you have an upper and lower plastic part of your steering column cover. When I got my column pod, it took my a few minutes to figure out that it's not supposed to take the place of the stock upper. It fits over the stock upper. They give you these really cheap pieces of double side tape to stick it on. Or you can drill 4 holes from the pod through the factory top piece and use 4 provided plastic panel pops to hold it on (That's the route I went). I drilled holes in the factory top under where each guage would be in the pod so I could run all the connections through the column.

I just received mine. It came without instructions, and without double sided tape, and without plastic panel pops.
My question...Did you mount yours without removing the stock upper half, or do you need to remove it, glue them together, then install them as one unit. When I ordered it, I thought it would simply replace the stock upper half.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:01 PM

I though it would replace the stock upper when I ordered mine too. When I got it, there were no screw holes for the factory screws. After fiddling with it for 10 minutes, iI realized it was designed to fit over the stock upper.

It would be much easier to remove the stock upper to install the pod. That is what I did. If you plan on gluing the pod to the upper, it will easier to clamp it out of the truck. I also drilled holes in the stock upper to run the tubes and wiring through the column. There is really no way to install the pod without destroying the stock upper. I knew I would have to order a new upper if I ever was to remove my guages. So you might as well modify it for your guages.

The double sided tape is pretty much worthless in mounting the pod. The panel pops worked ok, but the shape of the pod is not perfect to the upper, so mine was trying to separate with just the panel pops. Every few days with the vibration of driving, the panel pops would loosen up a bit. That is why I decided to just glue it. I wish I would have done that first. It would look cleaner without the panel pops.

Use JB Weld fast drying epoxy to glue it. I used some sand paper to scuff up the plastic on the inside of the pod and on the outside of the upper where the epoxy was to be applied. I let it sit overnight and the pod was permanently married to the upper by morning.

Good luck with your install. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Muzzy
Old 04-30-2004, 02:41 PM

What's the trick to getting the stock shroud off without breaking it?
I dont see any screws holding it, but it does not seem to want to come off.

I mounted my EGT gauge (pre turbo)on a SRT-10 pillar. Love the way it looks.
Now I'm trying to mount BOOST and TRANS TEMP in this dual steering column mount. I did the EGT first because I THOUGHT it would be the most difficult.

BTW It just occured to me, it a bulb in one of these gauges ever burns out, it will be a major job to replace with this thing glued together.

Quick Reply: steering column gauge pod