Which Southbend clutch would be best? - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Notices
3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Which Southbend clutch would be best?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:23 PM

Which Southbend clutch would be best?

Right now I'am running the Diablo stack and after the clutch is done I may run the Smarty.I'am wanting something to hold the power well but also is driver friendly.I don't pull much and if I do it's only around 5K pounds.Thanks for any input you guys can give me.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

I would go double disk i haven't had good luck with singles. The new sprung hub is awesome, very quiet and easy to dirve on street/backing trailers up.a 3250 would suit you well but it is spendy. Also, People are having very good luck with the ofe. Only being 2 wheel dirve you could get away with the ofe no prob and be happy as well.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:36 PM

My OFE holds up fine with a Diablo Predator on Extreme RKL. I'm sure it would hold the power of the Smarty too. If you plan on making more power upgrades then you should probably look at the FE or a DD. The OFE is rated to hold 450hp but there are plenty of guys making 500+ power with them...
Old 09-24-2007, 06:36 PM

I ordered a 3250 DD springy. I have yet to install it. I talked to Southbend via e-mail. He suggested I order that clutch because it is the most user friendly performance clutch he sells.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:02 PM

I just put the OFE in mine about three thousand miles ago. went on a big trip this weekend, and it started giving me fits. not going into gear if i let it idle in neutral. called peter at southben today. explained to him whats going on. he put a brand new one in the mail to me today. there customer service is unmatched. the clutch was really strong, not really sure what was causing it to act like that, but i can say that there is not another company that i know of that would send me another one like that. he also said he would personally inspect this one before it shipped, to ensure it wouldnt give me anymore trouble. despite this little glitch, i would recommend them to anyone.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Banned

i ran an OFE wat beyond its limits and it never let me down. i can only hope that my new DD that peter sent me makes me just as happy.

for your application i think that an OFE would suit your needs perfectly.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by demon1 View Post
i ran an OFE wat beyond its limits and it never let me down. i can only hope that my new DD that peter sent me makes me just as happy.

for your application i think that an OFE would suit your needs perfectly.
witch one did you get??? 12 button or 6???
Old 09-25-2007, 06:21 AM
wap

Originally Posted by 53 ****** View Post
witch one did you get??? 12 button or 6???
Unless something changed he was goin with the 6, demon1???
Old 09-25-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by wap View Post
Unless something changed he was goin with the 6, demon1???
thats good to hear....it's seems NOBODY has run the 6 button clutches so it's hard to get opinions
Old 09-25-2007, 11:43 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

I think it all depends on what you plan to do with your clutch. If you want boosted launches then a double is a must. If you are looking for a clutch to pound around the street with and like shifting fast then a single would be good.

I am patiently waiting for ****** to buy a 6 puck double so I know how fast they shift. I dont have the cash to be the Guinea Pig this time
Old 09-25-2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by matego View Post
I think it all depends on what you plan to do with your clutch. If you want boosted launches then a double is a must. If you are looking for a clutch to pound around the street with and like shifting fast then a single would be good.

I am patiently waiting for ****** to buy a 6 puck double so I know how fast they shift. I dont have the cash to be the Guinea Pig this time
oh I see how it is...I still have not ruled out the HMR street Drag either
Old 09-25-2007, 02:43 PM

I love my DD 3250 spring hub. Holds well, shifts well. Getting into 2nd and Reverse are sometimes a little tougher than stock, but I haven't done the upgraded hydraulics yet. I tow a bass boat all the time with it. It is a little grabby when backing up the boat, but not bad. Holds Smarty on level 9 launching in 4wd at 2500 rpms without a problem, I haven't tried launching it at 3200rpms yet. Tac
Old 09-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Banned

yeah after talking to peter we both decided that the 6 button is where its at for me. i need to be able to still shift just as fast. i will have some new times before the season is over. my setup has changed alittle though. i will also be adding some nitrous over the winter.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by demon1 View Post
yeah after talking to peter we both decided that the 6 button is where its at for me. i need to be able to still shift just as fast. i will have some new times before the season is over. my setup has changed alittle though. i will also be adding some nitrous over the winter.
so what clutch did you run the time in your sig with??
Old 09-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ****** View Post
so what clutch did you run the time in your sig with??
believe it or not it was an OFE. that thing held more power than i ever thought it would. it was only slipping towards the end of the track in 5th and 6th gears. didnt seem to bad. but on the very next pass i never made it out of second gear. it slipped so bad when launching, but still got me home that night.